• 9(current)
video buffering alot during stream 720p Video - SMB
I too, am having problems with streaming to my ipad2. Drives me crazy.

The really strange thing tho, is that it works flawless when streaming from my Windows 7 machine.

But when i stream from my FREENAS box, i get alot of:
"asked for new data packet, with nothing available"

For some reason, XBMC and/or FREENAS delivers/asks for data slower than windows 7.

Windows7: (smb)

FREENAS: (cifs/nfs same for both)

Both machines are quad-core, both on the same network.
Transferspeeds <-> the machines are around 75-80 megs/sec.
Bandwidth test to/from ipad 2 over wlan is around 15 Mbit, which should be (and actually is) sufficient enough for the around 1000KB/sec that I get to/from the windows 7 machine / what the 720p clip i watch requires.

Obviously something is #"¤"#¤ with my freenas box (fresh 8.0.3 install), any ideas?
Hello,

i did some testing as well
I am running xbmc on my raspberry pi with xbian - and had the problem that some videos which were recieved from my windows home server via smb stopped and buffered a lot. so i were not able to watch the movie quite good - especially i got this problem on big movies > 8GB or 1080p etc.

As i read, xmbc has its own smb client and some users reported errors.

So what helped me:
I do not use xmbc to connect to my smb shares. I mounted them manually on OS Level.

get the cifs-utils:
apt-get install cifs-utils

created a folder
mkdir /mnt/movies

added the following line to my fstab:
vi /etc/fstab
or with the jed editor (apt-get install jed)
jed /etc/fstab

//SERVER_IP/SHARE /mnt/movies cifs username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD 0 0

reboot the device
reboot

then i added the movies in xmbc as root folders

now the videos are played without stops or buffers.
(2012-02-20, 19:53)Johan84 Wrote: I too, am having problems with streaming to my ipad2. Drives me crazy.

The really strange thing tho, is that it works flawless when streaming from my Windows 7 machine.

But when i stream from my FREENAS box, i get alot of:
"asked for new data packet, with nothing available"

FREENAS is kinda hard to please when it comes to the network adapter. Are you using intel or realtek? I had big problems with realtek hardware, but when i added a intel the speed went up Wink
I've had exactly the same problem since upgrading to v12.2. After a LOT of messing about to confirm that other devices (even older version of XBMC) weren't having this problem, and that bandwidth wasn't the issue, I too discovered that the culprit was a Netgear switch (which I wouldn't have even thought to test if it wasn't for Tripledigit's post above).

No idea why, all I can say is since eliminating it from my network I've had no buffering issues at all. XBMC's bandwidth usage is much more stable and predictable when streaming now as well.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video buffering alot during stream 720p Video - SMB2