new product idea what do you think
So I am looking for ideas at the moment for my house reno. My tv's are all gonna run some form of xbmc.

Right now I am looking at usb ports, I plan on running a cable from my htpc to a wall plate so If I need to plug in a usb device, keyboard,mouse,flash drive, ect i can. I have all my components in the basement.

i am looking for 4-6 usb ports and found this, this got me thinking. If they create a square insert that is a usb hub, this would save some head ache trying to squeeze a usb hub into a box

what do you think
......wa.....what..... running USB to basement...
Sorry, I'm not following - you're planning on having your system in the basement with USB extensions to each room, where you'll hub out to keyboard, mouse, etc. locally?
(2012-05-26, 09:04)Ned Scott Wrote: ......wa.....what..... running USB to basement...

well yes in the end all I want to see on my walls are my tv and speakers, I will have everything in the basement and distribute from there. I am kind of doing that now with a hdbaset device and a 12meter usb cable.

product is something like this except it has 4-6 ports with a built in usb hub and on the other end is a usb connection instead of the Ethernet.

I occasionally need to plug in my keyboard to set things up, I also have a few usb retro controllers to use with emulators. I am trying to avoid a mess of cables everywhere.
USB isn't suitable for long cableruns, if you have to have USB you should look into USB->Ethernet adapters.
(2012-05-26, 16:54)sialivi Wrote: USB isn't suitable for long cableruns, if you have to have USB you should look into USB->Ethernet adapters.

+1 for this. USB is limited to around 10 to 15 feet. I work tech support for a national photography company. They had a genius idea to run USB from the cameras to a USB/Cat 5 hub. Then 100 feet of Cat 5 to another USB/Cat 5 converter to a PC. The idea was to shoot an image and then transfer to a PC. It was horrible. Lots of data loss. Images didn't transfer and were forever lost. It was a good idea but with the limitation of USB it just didn't work. I would suggest looking for an alternate solution.

Maybe rasburry pi devices or ATV2's mounted to the back of the tv?
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Quote:Maybe rasburry pi devices or ATV2's mounted to the back of the tv?
+1
It's going to work a lot better.
What happens if you need to reset the box... walk downstairs, walk back up check it's worked etc.

Also you're going to need to run a display cabe (e.g. HDMI), I don't think that bodes well either (regarding distances)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
(2012-05-26, 18:28)pseudo7 Wrote:
Quote:Maybe rasburry pi devices or ATV2's mounted to the back of the tv?
+1
It's going to work a lot better.
What happens if you need to reset the box... walk downstairs, walk back up check it's worked etc.

Also you're going to need to run a display cabe (e.g. HDMI), I don't think that bodes well either (regarding distances)

well I am running hdmi just fine using 100ft of cat 6 and a hdbaset device. monoprice does make a 82ft usb cable
good luck Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new product idea what do you think1