Poor Quality Picture..?
I've got an HTPC running with XBMC as the front end (WIN XP Pro) with an HDMI (512meg ATI) card into my TV.

All looks and works absolutely beautiful with Back Row as my skin (lovely scrapers / fan art ect ec)

No trouble with playback / no skipped frames / freezing / stuttering ect

Two WD HDD's (2tb each) with 100's of my DVD's ripped to (mainly) ISO's or MKV's....

The only trouble is the PLAYBACK QUALITY of XBMC .... absolutely lacking in fine detail..a very 'looking through a net curtain' sort of effect...
My TV is at 1080p and I'm used to SKY HD sort of quality.... (XBMC is also set to output at 1080p)...

I get much better output when playing back using the PC based VLC Media Player software -
much more detail than XBMC so it's not my ATI graphics card ...

I've 'tweaked' for hours with all settings on the ATI card and the XBMC settings but this 'cloudy' lacklustre look seems to
be part of the graphics output 'built in' to the XBMC software...

If I really want to watch one of my own films in all its 'full' glory - I usually exit XBMC and playback with VLC...
(rather defeats the reason for having XBMC as a player eh ?)

Is there anything I can do to improve things ?

(I've also tried the PC based BOXEE software - much the same - 'lacking detail / soft and blurry looking')

I know my system can output good quality - why is XBMC so lacking in this vital part of the chain ??

Is it just me and my setup or does anyone else notice this problem Huh
Just to be clear, the problem is that XBMC doesn't display your 480i dvd rips at 1080p as well as VLC does?
you could always set vlc as a external player
natethomas Wrote:Just to be clear, the problem is that XBMC doesn't display your 480i dvd rips at 1080p as well as VLC does?

.....that's my question.... WHY doesn't it look as detailed ?

Even 1080p HD downloaded clips aren't good...

Please - Could someone explain why ?
A good start would be for you to do a screenshot of the same frame in each piece of software and actually compare it side by side.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I always thought VLC was the worst player I have ever used Picture Quality wise.. But ya Screen shot them.
hick Wrote:I always thought VLC was the worst player I have ever used Picture Quality wise.. But ya Screen shot them.

Agreed. I've always found VLC to look horrible (beyond simply being a horrid piece of software in general).
Any of you guys get to figure this out? I'm having the same problem, but running a recently built full HTPC with Windows 7 vs, PS3. I just searched for all posts with the keyword "blurry"...
Post screen-shots please. In both XBMC and VLC.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poor Quality Picture..?0