new build.
to save money is there anyway to setup server and htpc(xbmc) on 1 system? Im using xbmcubuntu right now but will be moving that pc to another room. Ive been fiddling with the system i have now and cant really see how but maybe im just not looking in the right direction.
Not sure i understand.
You want to turn your NAS into a Windows pc?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I want to build a HTPC that will also act as a server/NAS. Im on a bit of a budget so I would like to combine the 2 into one thing
Sure, just share the drives from xbmcubuntu. Use NFS if the other machine is Linux, SMB if it's Windows.
oh wow that makes sense. I had been using xbmclive for so long i forgot i had ubuntu there too with eden!
I would recommend dual booting your linux box with either ubuntu 12.04 or windows 8, both are free and easy to make a live mutiboot pendrive with once you download the ISOs...your pendrive will have grub and auto load your harddrive with xbmcbuntu but you will have the choice of trying/installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS or a fresh install of windows 8 (I would recommend creating a new partition for the windows 8 install or you will lose xbmcbuntu)...anyway, both are great OSes and I would wager a better NAS/networking back end then xbmcbuntu (which i would only really expect to be put on low end HTPCs as a front end receiver

Personally, I like windows 8 best, since it comes with more drivers and is a lot easier to setup network shares...you can buy more, cheaper parts for your system and they are guaranteed to work with windows 8...also, metro has a kind of unity GUI that is faster and prettier
(2012-05-28, 20:30)digitaltomj Wrote: I would recommend dual booting your linux box with either ubuntu 12.04 or windows 8, both are free and easy to make a live mutiboot pendrive with once you download the ISOs...your pendrive will have grub and auto load your harddrive with xbmcbuntu but you will have the choice of trying/installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS or a fresh install of windows 8 (I would recommend creating a new partition for the windows 8 install or you will lose xbmcbuntu)...anyway, both are great OSes and I would wager a better NAS/networking back end then xbmcbuntu (which i would only really expect to be put on low end HTPCs as a front end receiver

Personally, I like windows 8 best, since it comes with more drivers and is a lot easier to setup network shares...you can buy more, cheaper parts for your system and they are guaranteed to work with windows 8...also, metro has a kind of unity GUI that is faster and prettier

The problem being if using win8 or ubuntu as the NAS the shares would not be available wehn running XBMCbuntu...

I'd just set up shares using XBMCbuntu so that they are always available.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
(2012-05-29, 06:51)rocketpants Wrote:
(2012-05-28, 20:30)digitaltomj Wrote: I would recommend dual booting your linux box with either ubuntu 12.04 or windows 8, both are free and easy to make a live mutiboot pendrive with once you download the ISOs...your pendrive will have grub and auto load your harddrive with xbmcbuntu but you will have the choice of trying/installing ubuntu 12.04 LTS or a fresh install of windows 8 (I would recommend creating a new partition for the windows 8 install or you will lose xbmcbuntu)...anyway, both are great OSes and I would wager a better NAS/networking back end then xbmcbuntu (which i would only really expect to be put on low end HTPCs as a front end receiver

The problem being if using win8 or ubuntu as the NAS the shares would not be available wehn running XBMCbuntu...

I'd just set up shares using XBMCbuntu so that they are always available.

I thought if the shares where available with xbmc(buntu) they would be available for U(buntu)...and if they are available for ubuntu i know for a fact you can use the with windows 8 (and a tiny bit easier too since you don't have to auto mount)
Eventually that Win8 preview will expire and do that annoying "quit every 30 minutes" thing. That's what they did with the Windows 7 preview.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new build.0