Win [ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video
(2012-05-31, 22:29)teepean Wrote: I just installed XBMC and to my horror couldn't find any way to play files continuously. Searching for help led me to this thread.

IMHO PopcornHour's method has been best I've encountered:

Press play and all the files in folder starting from selected file will play continuously

Press select and only the selected file will play.

I have kids and want to just fire and forget.

Bit over dramatic isn't it?
(2012-05-29, 02:31)shelby67 Wrote: The 'Play From Here' feature is a half thought through compromise, while it works, I am reliant on the context menu - which can not be accessed by XBMC Remote. I am not even sure you can do it from an MCE remote - please correct me if I am wrong.

It's XBMC, you can remap anything to anything else. I have my machines set up to use the 'Guide' button on my MCE remotes to open the Context menu.

However you could also go into keyboard.xml and map ANY COMMAND to any key. You could easily set the machine up to just use the 'Play From Here' command just by pressing the 'Play' button in your videos and meanwhile leave the 'Ok' button to just play as a single item like normal.
(2012-06-01, 02:32)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2012-05-29, 02:31)shelby67 Wrote: The 'Play From Here' feature is a half thought through compromise, while it works, I am reliant on the context menu - which can not be accessed by XBMC Remote. I am not even sure you can do it from an MCE remote - please correct me if I am wrong.

It's XBMC, you can remap anything to anything else. I have my machines set up to use the 'Guide' button on my MCE remotes to open the Context menu.

However you could also go into keyboard.xml and map ANY COMMAND to any key. You could easily set the machine up to just use the 'Play From Here' command just by pressing the 'Play' button in your videos and meanwhile leave the 'Ok' button to just play as a single item like normal.

Thanks DJ_Izumi,

Will have a look at this.

Can anyone point me to a guide regarding editing the XML file?
Here's a start. It's pretty comprehensive, really. I believe it will also refer to a small program that has a GUI to aid in the modifications.

Someone may have written a tutorial here in the forums, though.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-06-01, 03:10)thrak76 Wrote: Here's a start. It's pretty comprehensive, really. I believe it will also refer to a small program that has a GUI to aid in the modifications.

Someone may have written a tutorial here in the forums, though.

Awesome, will give it a shot.
Thanks!
(2012-05-31, 23:12)Hitcher Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 22:29)teepean Wrote: I just installed XBMC and to my horror couldn't find any way to play files continuously. Searching for help led me to this thread.

IMHO PopcornHour's method has been best I've encountered:

Press play and all the files in folder starting from selected file will play continuously

Press select and only the selected file will play.

I have kids and want to just fire and forget.

Bit over dramatic isn't it?

Well yes it was, but I already retired my old PopcornHour and was slightly disappointed when I had to go press play every ten minutes so kids can watch their shows. I'll try remapping the context menu today and see if it works, if not I'll check other mediaplayers.
OK,

So I have got the hang of editing the keyboard.xml file, I have been able to change the behaviour of keypresses, however, I dont think 'Play from here' is a valid command, ie it can't be mapped to a keypress or button.

I realise I can map the context menu to a button on a remote however if I could get the 'Play from here' function to work from a single button press I would be happy.
(2012-06-01, 09:13)shelby67 Wrote: I realise I can map the context menu to a button on a remote however if I could get the 'Play from here' function to work from a single button press I would be happy.

I couldn't figure it out either. I guess I have to check out the source.

EDIT: Next I have to figure out how to assign a key to CONTEXT_BUTTON_PLAY_AND_QUEUE
Hi there teepean,

Good to find someone who agrees with me! I am not a coder/programmer so I try to stay away from anything more then a few line changes.

Please let us know if you have any luck.

BTW: Did you find reference to 'CONTEXT_BUTTON_PLAY_AND_QUEUE' somewhere?
I have looked at the list of commands but not sure if it is complete.
I can see that there are quite a few people following this thread, and from my google searching, it seems there are a lot of users who want TV shows to automatically follow on. I urge you to comment in this thread if you agree/disagree.

Is it not possible to have a selection in the Video Playback settings (like there is under music) to play the next file automatically?

That way, those that don't want it can simply turn it off?
(2012-06-03, 02:01)shelby67 Wrote: Hi there teepean,

Good to find someone who agrees with me! I am not a coder/programmer so I try to stay away from anything more then a few line changes.

I looked at it and basically I could change it the way that "Play from here" would be the default mode so when you press Play it would always paly all of the files, but that kind of patch most likely wouldn't be accepted. I just don't have enough time at the moment to figure out how to assign a key to "Play from here".
(2012-06-13, 22:02)teepean Wrote:
(2012-06-03, 02:01)shelby67 Wrote: Hi there teepean,

I looked at it and basically I could change it the way that "Play from here" would be the default mode so when you press Play it would always paly all of the files, but that kind of patch most likely wouldn't be accepted. I just don't have enough time at the moment to figure out how to assign a key to "Play from here".

I don't see why anyone would object to making it an option for "select" in settings.
My feelings are:

Those that want it, would have it always on. Those that don't, would have it always off.
Therefore, the most sensible place would be in system settings,

Video => Autoplay next file ON/OFF
or under "Settings/Videos/File lists (wiki)/Default select action"
My coding skills aren't that good and I need a lot of time to get familiar with the code itself so hopefully somebody else submits a patch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video3