Win [ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video
Hope this will get into the main repo, awsome feature for most users that watch allot of series / musicvideo's
I've just registered to lend my voice of strong support for this feature. I know everyone has different needs and habits, but I find myself among those shocked that this isn't a basic feature.

Thanks ScudLee & bossanova for the patch, and thank you to all the devs who make XBMC awesome.
Not to nitpick, but this isn't so much of a feature addition as much as it is an implementation of the existing feature that we did have..

In any case, I'm all for this implementation. It's convenient and a lot of people easily missed the option in the contextual menu.
Well, most of the time I just want to play one file. But then occasionally I want to 'play from here' - so don't remove the context menu option!! It's not quite the same thing as an option in settings which effects everything...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
With this patch, the play from here option is still available when autoplay is set to off. Bossanova808, you probably already know that.

Ned, your support is greatly appreciated. (and everyone else who has joined this forum to post their support in this thread).
(yeah just wanted to make my point Smile
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Another (possibly more complex) idea occurred to me that might simplify settings and defaults. I've got a video player (MPlayerX for Mac OS X) that will only auto play the next file if it is named in such a way that would suggest that it is the "next episode". So if I have in one folder a bunch of random stuff, it will auto play the episodes of the same show, but stop when it hits something else. This behavior would also play movies one at a time (in most cases).
Hi,

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to looking for this kind of feature... But I would like more complete solution.
Something to list series which I began to watch, and when I select one of them, start the next episode to see, and the next after (such as "play from here").

This feature is planned on future release ? How to request for new feature ? You said devs are very busy, are-there any chance to see this feature in next release ? Big Grin

No reaction Sad

It's because you don't see ? You don't understand what I means (my poor English don't help) ? Or this feature isn't interested ?

I suggest something else to take your idea Ned :

"Series Mode"
if disabled, xbmc's behavior is not changed.
If it's on :
  • if it's a serie, when you play episode, next is autoplayed. If not (film directory), only selected movie is played. (this idea come from last posts)
  • when you push "play" on series directory : the first not seen episode is played, and the next after (autoplay)
  • we can add a "play only this video" to replace "play from here" (when the option is on)

I began to read code to see if I can do it, and if it's difficult... But my c++ is little rusty Wink
Hi Dush,

Things move slowly around here, a little patience is required.
Your idea has merit, but I think it is adding an extra layer of complexity. If you do manage to write some code for this it would be interesting to see.

(2012-08-02, 03:17)Ned Scott Wrote: Another (possibly more complex) idea occurred to me that might simplify settings and defaults. I've got a video player (MPlayerX for Mac OS X) that will only auto play the next file if it is named in such a way that would suggest that it is the "next episode". So if I have in one folder a bunch of random stuff, it will auto play the episodes of the same show, but stop when it hits something else. This behavior would also play movies one at a time (in most cases).

Hi Ned,

After thinking about this for a while, I do like the idea.
I am very happy with the way the current patch is working though (that's just me).

If your method above were to be cooked into XBMC - I would happily accept it.
Woohoo! Over 5000 views!

I recently tried Plex on my Samsung Smart TV, they have added an autoplay feature. It s a hot button (press "A" to toggle autoplay on/off)
This seems to be a nice way to do it, however using Plex was sadly unfulfilling afer using XBMC.

The patched version of XBMC is still working perfectly.
I've forgotten to add my support for this feature I think.
I've downloaded the patched version and using it since that's how I personally whats TV Shows, only completed seasons and 3-24 episodes in a row.

(2012-08-07, 22:46)Dush Wrote: No reaction Sad

It's because you don't see ? You don't understand what I means (my poor English don't help) ? Or this feature isn't interested ?

I suggest something else to take your idea Ned :

"Series Mode"
if disabled, xbmc's behavior is not changed.
If it's on :
  • if it's a serie, when you play episode, next is autoplayed. If not (film directory), only selected movie is played. (this idea come from last posts)
  • when you push "play" on series directory : the first not seen episode is played, and the next after (autoplay)
  • we can add a "play only this video" to replace "play from here" (when the option is on)

I began to read code to see if I can do it, and if it's difficult... But my c++ is little rusty Wink

I like your idea, it would save my thumb some clicks.

I really needs this feature too, but I am using Mac.
this is the single most annoying "feature" (I'll rather call it a bug, or an issue with the design) of xbmc - every single media player I have used - WD TV, Xtreamer, popcorn hour - they all behaved the NORMAL - expected way by default. ie if you have a folder with 10 files and you choose to play the 5th file, it would continue with the remaining files until the end of the directory is reached.
Nobody keeps 5 different movies in a single directory, so there is absolutely no reason why the player should *not* continue playing the files that follow.

The only workaround I have found for this annoying *bug* is the following:
1. select a directory with files (in my case - videos)
2. press play, to have xbmc play the whole directory
3. once the first file starts to play, press the button for videos
4. press the button for context menu
5. choose Now playing
6. in the list of files in the directory selected in the 1st step, choose the file that you wanted to play in the first place
7. voila! the player will continue with the remaining files !

user-friendly as hell
(2012-09-21, 21:00)PhilipJ Wrote: Nobody keeps 5 different movies in a single directory, so there is absolutely no reason why the player should *not* continue playing the files that follow.

I do. I have a "Movies" directory with lots of movies in it. Why on earth would I have separate directories for each movie which is a single file?

However, that point is irrelevant. "Play from here" ideally should only play back files which match the original sufficiently. Ideally it would also ensure playing back in episode order, stopping if there is a gap. And take into account v1, v2, PROPER, etc.

The way I see it working best is "Play from here" immediately constructs a playlist from the remaining files/episodes, filters out those which don't match the original, and display it. You then have an opportunity to edit it before playback.

Ideally configuration options for the "Play" command would be something like:

- Play single episode
- Play episodes from here
- Display episode playlist from here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video3