Win Issue with favourites
Hi,
I know my problem is not new, I did seen some other who had kinda same issue around past years or so.
But still I read their post and try to figure out by myself to resolve the issue, without succes.
So i post here.

First, here is what I wanted to do :
Add a custom menu in XBMC home that point to a specific program that I previously added to favourites.

Second, What I Have :
XBMC 11 (eden)
Windows 8 CP 32 bit
2 HDD, system (C:) and Data (E:)
I installed XBMC on E:, and launching him each in portable mode (using -p parameter).
Using Influence skin.

When I ad a new menu in system skin setting and try to use favourites as a link to what i want to this new menu i get an empty fields, like if I had no favourites (But I have, can accessing them from Home favourtites button). Same thing If I want to add tthe built in Skin Favourites menu, It doesn't work (this built in menu call the built in script SetMenuFav.py) and return "can not Find favourites.xml" in this Skin setting (as the submenu label). So I did go to this SetMenuFav.py and change the return error message to "canaa not Find favourites.xml" just ot be sure this message came from this script. I relaunche XBMC and now display "canaa not Find favourites.xml". So yeah this came from this script.
So Then i edited this script like that :
Code:
self.fav_dir = 'special://masterprofile//favourites.xml'
    # self.fav_dir = xbmc.translatePath( 'special://masterprofile//favourites.xml' )
    # self.fav_dir = xbmc.translatePath( 'special://profile/favourites.xml' )
    # self.fav_dir = xbmc.translatePath('E:\XBMC\portable_data\userdata\favourites.xml')

The first one is the orignal code, the commented one is the different one i tried to use, Didn't work.

And by the way tries to did the same thing in the default.py script in the favourites.script folder just ot be sure, still no succes.

So I thought ok I execute XBMC in portable mode, may be it explain why it can not find the favourites.xml. So I copied this favourites.xml (form XBMC/portable_data/userdata) files in XBCM/userdata part, retried, still didn't work.

By the end I copied manually the value inside favourites.xml to the XBMC/portable_data/userdata/guisettings.xml, so i can have my new menu.

But that was a default and badsolution, I don't want to manualy edit the XML files each time I wanna ad / modify a menu.

I tried another skin (alaska) and the same happend, so I suppose it isn't skin related.

I post here my xbmc.log (deggub activated) of me going to the Setting->Skin->menu->activate the built in favourite menu.

http://pastebin.com/uqqmHB2s

Edit : just tried with cirrus2.1 Skin and it say echec du script (script failure with my translation in engligh) ! :Script.favourites. and display me "can not find find favourites.xml". Did try again by changing the cirrus script.favourites/default.py script to
Code:
# self.fav_dir = 'special://masterprofile//favourites.xml'
    # self.fav_dir = xbmc.translate('special://masterprofile//favourites.xml')  # first try with notepad++ autocompletion (no translatePath found, only translate !)
    self.fav_dir = xbmc.translatePath('special://masterprofile//favourites.xml')

Same script failure message, but no display of "can not find find favourites.xml" this time ...

If you want I can add a new debbug log with this skin (wich seems to be less complicated than influence).
Hi Trek,

I see you're a bit of a coder... my eyes are not good enough to catch your coding... but it looks like the jist of it is::

>= a Custom Button on the home screen, that toggles a favourite

First thing you have to do... is make sure your favourite functions directly. If it does you're half way there....

(if it doesn't that is another issue) in non portable mode it's in C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata as favourites.xml

I use mine a lot... here's a list of some

<favourites>
<favourite name="Icefilms" thumb="C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.icefilms\icon.png">ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;plugin://plugin.video.icefilms&quotWink</favourite>
<favourite name="Navi-X" thumb="C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\Navi-X\icon.png">RunScript(&quot;script.navi-x&quotWink</favourite>
<favourite name="trailers" thumb="C:\trailers\folder.jpg">ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;C:\\trailers&quotWink</favourite>
<favourite name="PseudoTV" thumb="C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.pseudotv\icon.png">RunScript(&quot;script.pseudotv&quotWink</favourite>
</favourites>

I don't run in-place mode, but suspect the favourites are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\userdata

Now this is the critical part.... connecting a custom button on the home screen to the favourites. This is highly skin dependant and what skins support this properly... I use the SVN version of Transparency! and it works well using the skins add on custom menu's. I would not dig into code level until you have some thing operational from the skin level.

BTW: devs respond most favourably to donators.

Hi, thanks to take consideration of my issue PatK.
All your saying is right.
To create a Custum menu is skin related yes.
I did try
- Confluence : no
- Influence : possibility to do that from Setting UI, but it dont retreive my favourite
- Alaska : possibility to do that from Setting UI, but it dont retreive my favourite
- Aeon MQ3 : possibility to do that from Setting UI, and retreive my favourite

So yeah I dont know why the Influence and Alaska skin can not get my favourite from the Skin setting UI in XBMC, and it was the purpose of my thread, cause I tried some solution taht didn't work.
I Think I'll gotta read the MQ3 scripts to see how they did it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with favourites0