Mac Mini: Digital audio going to sleep
My digital audio works fine as long as xbmc is actively generating audio, but when it is paused for a short while, I start to get static from my amplifier similar to what I hear if an optical cable is disconnected. I notice that there is no light coming out of the end of the optical cable so I guess that mac is putting the digital connection to sleep.

Does anyone know of an application of a setting on the mac mini that will force the TOSLINK digital connection to stay on?
I went ahead and wrote a simple app to fix this issue in OSX Lion as well as previous versions. It's called Silent But Deadly.

Same concept that you may have heard of before in the past; play a short audio clip that's just loud enough to activate the Toslink SPDIF port but still soft enough to not be noticable. The app will automatically lower to the dock and utilizes < 1% cpu usage on most machines. Bloatware, Malware and Virus free.

Silent But Deadly.app

Enjoy!

-DCGoD
Very cool. You might also want to make a second post about this on the supplemental tools sub-forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini: Digital audio going to sleep0