SMB Sharing (Unbuntu / Os X Lion)
Greetings... and apologies if this has been answered before. I've been trying to figure this out and I cannot find a specific answer to my questions..

My set up is this: I have a primary Macbook (OS X Lion) that I use for everyday computing. I have an older PC that I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on and wish to use XBMC on. This pc is set up to dual boot with XP MCE.

I have all of my media on a firewire drive connected to my Macbook (it just sits at a desk). The drive is formatted as htfs journaled I believe. I was able to set up an SMB share to that drive from XBMC within XP and it worked perfectly, however when i try this in Ubuntu I am having some issues. Namely, I can see the media files on the firewire drive from XBMC in ubuntu, but when I try to play them it just tells me there was an error and the file was not played.

Admitedly, I 'm a newb with Ubuntu but really wanted to try it out and learn a few things in the process. Because I got the share to work in XP I'm wonderinf if I am just missing something obvious in Ubuntu or if there is something else I need to configure. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
See Mac_FAQ#SMB (wiki)
how did you access the smb share? did you install all of the components you need for samba to work on Ubuntu? did you use the get-apt install command in terminal, the synaptic package manager or the ubuntu software center? do you need a password to access the drive over the network?...theres kinda a lot of variables here...not sure if its an xbmc issue or not...also I have little experience with osx...what I would do however is boot into windows and see if you can access the share there...altho its htfs so prob not im thinking
(2012-05-29, 05:34)digitaltomj Wrote: how did you access the smb share? did you install all of the components you need for samba to work on Ubuntu? did you use the get-apt install command in terminal, the synaptic package manager or the ubuntu software center? do you need a password to access the drive over the network?...theres kinda a lot of variables here...not sure if its an xbmc issue or not...also I have little experience with osx...what I would do however is boot into windows and see if you can access the share there...altho its htfs so prob not im thinking

It's a known issue for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). Solution in my FAQ link.
(2012-05-29, 05:43)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-05-29, 05:34)digitaltomj Wrote: how did you access the smb share? did you install all of the components you need for samba to work on Ubuntu? did you use the get-apt install command in terminal, the synaptic package manager or the ubuntu software center? do you need a password to access the drive over the network?...theres kinda a lot of variables here...not sure if its an xbmc issue or not...also I have little experience with osx...what I would do however is boot into windows and see if you can access the share there...altho its htfs so prob not im thinking

It's a known issue for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). Solution in my FAQ link.

hahaha, yeah I started writing a reply before yours was posted then I saw yours when I posted mine and was like...should I edit mine to "what he said"?
Thanks for the replies.... I was hoping the known issue was somehow resolved since I can share via SMB to my XP partition on the same PC just fine. Which of the other sharing options would you say is the LEAST complicated? I may just check out SMBup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Sharing (Unbuntu / Os X Lion)0