Beer's M350 A6-3500
That's awesome Beer!!

I have been eyeing that case for over a year, but didn't really have the need until now and couldn't figure out what to put in there (I was considering the e350 or e450)

But two days ago, my second htpc died, and you had perfect timing with this :-)

Now I will build this and make it my primary htpc, and relegate my primary to secondary (it is a big, bulky microatx htpc case that I don't like how deep it is, hard to fit into cabinets, plus the stupid psu fan sounds like a jet engine even after a dust cleanup)

I know you picked a larger case for your htpc, but any concerns about using this as an htpc? (I don't really need an optical drive)

Thanks

EDIT: LOL, right when I was asking you what you thought about this as an htpc, you posted the comment above. Btw, I will get the Torqx 2 64GB SSD that is $49.99 on Newegg after rebate.
(2012-06-07, 16:56)aptalca Wrote: That's awesome Beer!!

I have been eyeing that case for over a year, but didn't really have the need until now and couldn't figure out what to put in there (I was considering the e350 or e450)

Now I will build this and make it my primary htpc, and relegate my primary to secondary (it is a big, bulky microatx htpc case that I don't like how deep it is, hard to fit into cabinets)

I know you picked a larger case for your htpc, but any concerns about using this as an htpc? (I don't really need an optical drive)

Thanks

Oh YAH!!!! great for HTPC..... very great! Big Grin

LOL Yes I posted.... I'm too quick. Read your mind before you posted....
(2012-06-07, 16:56)aptalca Wrote: That's awesome Beer!!

Now I will build this and make it my primary htpc, and relegate my primary to secondary (it is a big, bulky microatx htpc case that I don't like how deep it is, hard to fit into cabinets, plus the stupid psu fan sounds like a jet engine even after a dust cleanup)

Thanks

EDIT: LOL, right when I was asking you what you thought about this as an htpc, you posted the comment above. Btw, I will get the Torqx 2 64GB SSD that is $49.99 on Newegg after rebate.

Check out this A6-PACK in a small HTPC case w/o optical drive: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132688. He posted lots of nice pictures and info.

oohh. . . more options :-)

Thanks for the heads up Dougie
Been testing..... It's great..... but I am not liking the temps....

Getting 54C on HD.... and 45C on APU.... using SAB it goes sometimes to 64C.....

Anything to worry about?

Take akasa fan off and get a bigger one in there?

Add little 40MM fan to front as it has a spot for it?
(2012-06-07, 20:27)Beer40oz Wrote: Been testing..... It's great..... but I am not liking the temps....

Getting 54C on HD.... and 45C on APU.... using SAB it goes sometimes to 64C.....

Anything to worry about?

I bet it would run a little cooler w/o the HDD. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all about 60C-65C temps either. I am not sure how much bigger cooler you can get in there. Even the bigger ones are still 80mm fans. In my experience, a 40mm fan does little other than make a lot of noise.
(2012-06-07, 20:32)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 20:27)Beer40oz Wrote: Been testing..... It's great..... but I am not liking the temps....

Anything to worry about?

I bet it would run a little cooler w/o the HDD. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all about 60C-65C temps either. I am not sure how much bigger cooler you can get in there. Even the bigger ones are still 80mm fans. In my experience, a 40mm fan does little other than make a lot of noise.

Well I been looking at options to be able to mount another FAN in there or take off the ASAKA fan and trow a big 12mm fan in there.....

I know that the 40MM fans are loud....

This Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XM1 got recommended by another 350 user..... maybe use it as an exhaust fan.... don't know.

What would you do?
Hmm.. since I happened to have the box for my new Seagate drive sitting right hear when I read your post, I glanced over and saw it says 60C max operating temp. That's getting a little close, especially if you're not really working the HD at the time of the 54C reading.

Your 45C on the APU is what I get on my A8-3870K when I'm transcoding and watching a movie at the same time (runs between 44C - 47C under those loads for me). Using Prime95 that you and blu-ray had me run, the APU got up to 58C after 10 minutes and I was freaking out. Thought you guys were trying to fry my computer :-P

Granted, those temps are with my Big Shuriken 2 and a much larger case with better ventilation but still.

I seem to recall you saying your A6-Pack only maxed out at like 45C or 47C with Prime95, I'd be nervous.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Well CPU's can go way beyond 60C.... that is not the issue here... well it is in a way.... the hotter the louder the fan gets....

I am concerned on the HD.....

I have the LID off at the moment and testing with out it.....

Now im getting 28C on the APU and 37C on the HD doing the same stuff I was doing before..... Smile

That lid keeps all the heat in even with all them holes.....

So I am trying to figure out what to do.....

Either since it's going behind my screen I can keep the LID off jaja Smile I know it's crazy but it will work and I wont see it.... or.....

I can attach a 140MM silent fan outside the LID on the top... maybe draw air in or out.......
Huh

Or get an SSD..... but I don't know how it will help the temps with the APU.....
I wonder if one of those fans you put on top of home theater components would work or a large USB fan.

Something like that.... Rofl

and to pass the cable cut them pass in the lid holes and rewire them.... .....

Im going to try the fan on with the lid closed and see if it does change the temps...... Smile

But yes it seems and SSD is the best..... the HD... is HOT !!!! the Heatsink is way less.....

Maybe it's time for a Crucial 64 GB ....
Probably with nothing blowing across the HDD, it's generating its own heat that is getting stuck. Did you try sitting it on its side, in the same orientation as it would be on the back of the LCD, to see what temps are like?
http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120x120...B001NJ27QM

Cool thanx for the link on that USB powered fan.....

That is another option...

Nope have not tried it on the side.....

Now.... you think if I buy this SSD it will just solve my problems?
Seems all the heat is coming from that HD....

A lilttle little from the ram and that goes for the heatsink.....

Crucial 64 GB would love a 120GB but man oh man.... i better get my wife something.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-64-2-5-Inc...518&sr=8-1
well, SSD'ing your build is definitely
a step in the right direction!
SSD's are FTW in jam-pack'ed builds!!
(2012-06-07, 22:21)eskro Wrote: well, SSD'ing your build is definitely
a step in the right direction!
SSD's are FTW in jam-pack'ed builds!!

Alright Gangsta... Word!

Ordering that 64gig or 128... unless other deals out there? Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beer's M350 A6-3500 1