Inherited a heap of cash - best HTPC to build ?
(2012-06-03, 03:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Some people in this thread could be a lot less rude.

Cannot agree more with this. Some guy has the chance to build his dream media rig and comes for advice and gets slammed..

Jealousy is a horrid thing.

For the OP : Go look over at the hardware forums. There is a guy there who knows a lot about hardware and good builds. If it was me I would ask him for some advice.

I could not really advise you myself as most of my builds are within my budget of about £500-£600 per box and I am sure with your budget you can find something quieter and a bit more future proof.

As for storage, my advice would be a Synology DS1511+ 5-bay Nas populated with 5 x 4tb hdds. Run this raid 5 for protection. This will give you a max storage of 16tb.
You could even go for the 8bay synology and use raid 6 which will give you 2 distributed parity drives and a total of 24tb.

Enjoy your build and please come back and let us know what you went with and how the build went.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the replies in this thread probably caused the OP to leave these forums and not look back. The OP hasn't signed in since the day he started the thread, probably never to return.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
gabbot & jhsrennie: What a buzz kill. Who elected you policia of the forum? This guy was trying to define a high end system for XBMC. Are you offended by his budget? Then please get over that. Nobody spends that much on a media server. If money were truly no object, we would all pay online services.

The point is this: There is great value in knowing what the high-end looks like even if one cannot afford it. It helps clarify the choices we have to make when building our own.

jhsrennie -- really? SPOILER ALERT: Your use case is not the only one! There are many use cases Apple does not serve AT ALL! C'mon.

Your obsession with your own agendas killed what would have been an educational the thread. For me, it killed this forum. I registered just to tell you that FWIW.

-- I'm outta here -- Dan Jeffrey
Definitely some douchebags on this thread.

But moving on.....

Besides the silent case idea, you HAVE to buy an SSD for your main hard drive. I just did and wow!! Menu's, library browsing -everything is amazing. The one I linked to, is the one I bought.

I would NOT buy an Asrock - I did and like it well enough, but I think you'd get more bang for your buck by going completely custom.

And if I were you, I'd post a single thread asking about each component - like "Best sound card for XBMC?", "Best video card for XBMC?"

That way you get targeted replies from experts in those particular components.

Have fun and good luck!

(2012-07-18, 03:36)DanJeffrey Wrote: gabbot & jhsrennie: What a buzz kill. Who elected you policia of the forum? This guy was trying to define a high end system for XBMC. Are you offended by his budget? Then please get over that. Nobody spends that much on a media server. If money were truly no object, we would all pay online services.

The point is this: There is great value in knowing what the high-end looks like even if one cannot afford it. It helps clarify the choices we have to make when building our own.

jhsrennie -- really? SPOILER ALERT: Your use case is not the only one! There are many use cases Apple does not serve AT ALL! C'mon.

Your obsession with your own agendas killed what would have been an educational the thread. For me, it killed this forum. I registered just to tell you that FWIW.

Shrug, there are some folks over in the hardware forum that talk hardware all the time and figured the OP's questions would get more exposure from them there. It wasn't my way of trying to police the forum. I think some of those guys really know their stuff. I then simply gave my opinion, one can take it or leave it, but also why I mentioned if the OP had specific requirements that they needed out of a system, again, that's my reasoning for mentioning to check out specifically the hardware forum. To me, a ton of cash would be best served by being spent on a storage system with a large library of ripped blurays. With that storage requirement and to buy the hard drives required for it, yes it is going to cost some money for a large multi-terabyte server with some redundancy and/or fault protection in place.

Not sure how I came off as rude or condescending in the three posts I made?
(2012-07-18, 03:36)DanJeffrey Wrote: gabbot & jhsrennie: What a buzz kill. Who elected you policia of the forum? This guy was trying to define a high end system for XBMC. Are you offended by his budget? Then please get over that. Nobody spends that much on a media server. If money were truly no object, we would all pay online services.

Let me summarize Dan's first post here. He starts out with an attack on two members who collectively have 11 years and 10,000 posts between them on these forums. He then accuses the entire forum of piracy. Next, he condescendingly (and in all caps) rejects the helpful advice that has been given. Finally, he threatens us with the horrible prospect of him not contributing to the forum. Let's hope he follows through with that threat.

The negativity in this thread is horrible - but the OP (RaptorDF) brought it on himself. He started out pretty polite - but when he didn't immediately get the answer he wanted, he started behaving like quite an ass. I've never seen a thread degenerate quite so badly here, I wouldn't mind seeing it closed and forgotten.
Done, closed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Inherited a heap of cash - best HTPC to build ?0