Inherited a heap of cash - best HTPC to build ?
(2012-05-29, 10:59)RaptorDF Wrote: to be fair I thought that someone here would have fun with getting someone to build a wet dream machine

I'll wait until there are users who want to help me with building the best of the best. The forum you linked me doesnt really do any of that - many of the guys seem to be on a budget - im not on a budget. My inheritance was over 350k - so im giddy to rock with this.

thanks
although this seems to be a good thread to at least start with http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

in the meantime if anyone wants to help me spend a ton of cash - chime in. if all you have to say is tell me why waste my money - don't bother as i don't care about anyone's opinions regarding that.

Thanks

Just curious, what kind of system could you afford before getting somebody else's life savings to blow? And by the way, they do regret what they wrote in their will right about now.

So Big Spender, why not go for something you can really brag about on the XBMC forums...

http://www.cray.com/ownacray/

After all, it's only money... and you didn't even have to earn it!
RaptopDF,
IMO, you would be best to check out Eskro's guide as well as posts from Bluray and others. I would start by listing the things you want your box to accomplish and research them throughout the forum. You could discover that you can only use certain functions (bitstreaming, etc) with certain operating systems. You also want to think about future proofing as well.

Based on what I read, OpenElec might be the way for you to go. It's easy to install, boots fast and acts just like an XBMC appliance should act. I'm not sure if it bitstreams so you might want to check their forum. Also, I would recommend a client only box with a NAS/ server backend. Depending on your usage, do not rule out pre-built boxes such as Zotac and Foxconn (or even the AppleTV). These boxes could save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

The main thing is to determine what you want out of XBMC and plan accordingly. I hope this has helped in some way. Peace.
Alright, I'll play. You really want something small, kick ass, and with all the bells and whistles?

Mini-ITX with i7, passively cooled (yes, i7, passive cooling, holy crap): http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/fanless_systems

They're bad ass machines that are normally just used for industrial uses, but can be an HTPC all the same. You'll need either an DVI or Display Port to HDMI adapter for some, or just add another video card to one of the ones with PCIe slots.

Then you have a silent beast that can do full software/CPU decoding, giving you the best possible picture quality. Run emulators and full PC games and open them from the XBMC interface. Some of these bad boys have ports for a massive CCTV system, so you can use it for home automation and security as well.
(2012-05-29, 10:34)RaptorDF Wrote: To say that money doesn't make a difference in quality and performance of a computer system is crazy talk Smile

I want a system that can handle DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. For starters the Mac Mini can't handle that from what i've read - so that's out of the equation (correct me if im wronf)

And I didn't say I was going to spend $5k - I said I could if I wanted to. I already stated this is a 100% XBMC HTPC Smile

if the Mac Mini is something i should buy - then if it handles True HD audio and everything else that can be possibly thrown at it then i will consider it - if it can't then i'd like to hear about what i can build that can.

You can bitstream HD audio with a $20 ATI card. If you are doing dxva gpu decoding the cpu isn't even going to matter for playback. I have a 5 year old AMD Athlon and xbmc is smooth as butter. Your $5000 budget is ridiculous. Save the money and buy a house and a better car or something. I've never seen anyone this boastful and cocky over someones death before (I'm assuming how you got the inheritance, don't know any other way).

Quote:I'll wait until there are users who want to help me with building the best of the best. The forum you linked me doesnt really do any of that - many of the guys seem to be on a budget - im not on a budget. My inheritance was over 350k - so im giddy to rock with this.

in the meantime if anyone wants to help me spend a ton of cash - chime in. if all you have to say is tell me why waste my money - don't bother as i don't care about anyone's opinions regarding that.

Your family must be incredibly proud of you.

I have a very very sweet HTPC but I am willing to sell it to you for only 6000. let me know. It will play blue rays and dvds.
A $5000 HTPC is gonna run XBMC just like a $500 one will...
(2012-05-29, 10:31)jhsrennie Wrote: Assuming you really want an HTPC, and not a gaming machine, why on earth would you want to spend $5000 on it? The 2010 Mac Mini is perfect for running XBMC, and by "perfect" I mean that you won't get XBMC to run better by spending more. All you'll do is make the hardware noisier and more power hungry.

The only thing I'm tempted to do with my Mac Mini is buy an external DAC (for music not films), but the built in DAC is pretty good and I think you'd need to spend more than the price of the Mini to significantly improve the sound quality.

I just read the specs to that mac mini, its certainly not that great lol (I would border on sub average lol). Especially the price, wayyyy overpriced.
Inherited a heap of cash..@!. and no one suggest throwing something in the kitty for the XBMC development fund?

Guess there's no beer drinkers in this thread.
(2012-05-31, 07:19)PatK Wrote: Inherited a heap of cash..@!. and no one suggest throwing something in the kitty for the XBMC development fund?

there are beer drinkers... would you want him buying you beer? ... didnt think so Smile
(2012-05-31, 08:06)amet Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 07:19)PatK Wrote: Inherited a heap of cash..@!. and no one suggest throwing something in the kitty for the XBMC development fund?

there are beer drinkers... would you want him buying you beer? ... didnt think so Smile

HTPC- (H)ope (T)o (P)urge ©ash...at least you may be able to buy real friends ,although probably blow up and plastic (from someone whos just inherited
cash from his mother and finds your attitude repulsive)

Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
(2012-05-31, 05:40)Stildawn Wrote: I just read the specs to that mac mini, its certainly not that great lol (I would border on sub average lol). Especially the price, wayyyy overpriced.

Is there anything about running XBMC that the "not that great" specs of the Mini would prevent?

(2012-05-31, 23:41)aaronb Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 05:40)Stildawn Wrote: I just read the specs to that mac mini, its certainly not that great lol (I would border on sub average lol). Especially the price, wayyyy overpriced.

Is there anything about running XBMC that the "not that great" specs of the Mini would prevent?

The Mini is certainly expensive for it's spec, but then you're paying for the design. Every now and then I look around for cheaper HTPCs with the same spec at a lower cost, and every time I don't find anything that comes close to elegance of the Mini. At the end of the day it's a personal choice whether the Mini is worth the extra money.
If you've got the money then go for a completely silent system - fanless PSU and cases that can dissipate the heat well ... assuming you're not locking it away where you won't hear it anyway.

EDIT: something like this:

http://www.quietpc.com/products/htpccases/st-fc5od
(2012-05-29, 10:59)RaptorDF Wrote: to be fair I thought that someone here would have fun with getting someone to build a wet dream machine

I'll wait until there are users who want to help me with building the best of the best. The forum you linked me doesnt really do any of that - many of the guys seem to be on a budget - im not on a budget. My inheritance was over 350k - so im giddy to rock with this.

thanks
although this seems to be a good thread to at least start with http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

Thanks
How about you read the "Hardware" forum regarding your hardware question, as has been politely suggested twice already before you get snippy. I'll give you a hint - you're in "Group #7" as described IN THE STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM. I'm sorry you haven't gotten the response you wished for, after joining the forum and making your first post rude, insulting and disparaging. We'd be happy to help you if you would post in the correct forum, and in a polite tone.

Some people in this thread could be a lot less rude.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Inherited a heap of cash - best HTPC to build ?0