• 4(current)
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build
Alright... I'm finally ordering this system. The only thing that remains is the operating system. I assume people will suggest Windows 7; is there a good place to get a decent price on this? And just checking Amazon, there seem to be a variety of flavors, each at a different price; is there a preferred version?
I would suggest Windows 7 Home Premium Home Premium for System Builders
Amazon or NewEgg
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
It's so nice to have them available again, though I have to admit over half are sold before I've even opened the carton Smile.
Well.. somehow my post became Realan E-I5 thread lol

Anyway.

I'm using Windows on it right now.. The main reason why I went with Windows was to have a desktop to download some stuff directly to the HTPC. but now I got an unraid server.

So.. is anyone using OpenELEC for this hardware? Is there any noticeable difference between OpenELEC and Windows XBMC using this hardware (A6-3500 + A75M-ITX)?
I used openelec on mine for a couple of days (remember my build, that's awfully similar to yours?) while waiting for the SSD to arrive.

I had the generic build of openelec (I believe the latest beta) already installed on a flash drive that I was trying out on another htpc. I plugged it in, and it worked without any problems. My library was mysql, hosted on my unraid server and the thumbnails were on unraid as well. Through a wired gigabit connection it was very zippy. I think the only thing that wasn't perfect was the remote. Most buttons worked fine, but I think there was no button for the context menu (I am sure that is easily fixed through keymaps)

I played 720p and 1080p scene releases and hardware acceleration was flawless. SD scene releases also worked fine. I did not try any mpeg2 stuff as I don't rip dvds and I don't record live tv. I heard openelec has problems with mpeg2Huh I am not sure about that.

EDIT:

I did have to apply the sound fixes for openelec. Check out this wiki page: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...tion#Sound

Directly under "sound" is the fix for media playback (I forget the exact numbers for that board, but "aplay" gives you a clear description of each so it is straightforward)
And click on "Menu sounds (Most systems)" for menu sounds
(2012-07-18, 20:39)aptalca Wrote: I used openelec on mine for a couple of days (remember my build, that's awfully similar to yours?) while waiting for the SSD to arrive.

I had the generic build of openelec (I believe the latest beta) already installed on a flash drive that I was trying out on another htpc. I plugged it in, and it worked without any problems. My library was mysql, hosted on my unraid server and the thumbnails were on unraid as well. Through a wired gigabit connection it was very zippy. I think the only thing that wasn't perfect was the remote. Most buttons worked fine, but I think there was no button for the context menu (I am sure that is easily fixed through keymaps)

I played 720p and 1080p scene releases and hardware acceleration was flawless. SD scene releases also worked fine. I did not try any mpeg2 stuff as I don't rip dvds and I don't record live tv. I heard openelec has problems with mpeg2Huh I am not sure about that.

EDIT:

I did have to apply the sound fixes for openelec. Check out this wiki page: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...tion#Sound

Directly under "sound" is the fix for media playback (I forget the exact numbers for that board, but "aplay" gives you a clear description of each so it is straightforward)
And click on "Menu sounds (Most systems)" for menu sounds

This is very helpful! Thanks so much! I will try this out when I get home.
Alright, I finally have most the parts (everything but the RAM I think), and I'm putting this thing together, and I have a question: the SilverStone fan I purchased didn't come with any "thermal interface material." Is it okay to install the fan without it? If not, where can this goop be purchased?
No. Order it. Lol. I'm not on my mobile or I would paste links.
Drat. More waiting.
Can this computer run XBMC Smoothly?? and can i leave it on forever if i wanted to plex media centre it as well
WoW nice Case but $47 for shipping to germany is bad.
At your picture i see some free space. is it possible to lay the ssd beside the power switch so that you can install a higher cooler?
Quote:Image
(2012-07-28, 20:16)Nimo Wrote: WoW nice Case but $47 for shipping to germany is bad.

It is rebranded as ITEK Diamond 5 and sold in Italy street price is 65 euros...but it very strange that you can't find it in Germany. I'm used to buy "exotic" and hard to find pc case from Germany Wink . Try to check maybe is rebranded with a different name in Germany also.

http://www.itek.it/it/case/mini-itx-case...black.html
You might be able to get a better price to Germany by emailing the seller.
ok i found a german shop but they dont sell all cases. i would prefer the e-q8 because no useless gadgets.
Nice shop Nimo! The e-mini q8 looks less ventilated than the new realan case...
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build0