Samsung Chromebox
It looks like Samsung has tossed their Chromebox out into the wild today. Engadget did a review on it, Link In the review they mention it handles 1080p video( Nothing specific) and also can play YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu or Netflix with no problem. It takes 5 seconds to boot which is pretty nice.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/dev...l#overview

Chomium OS is apparently a open source OS and based on Linux. I'm wondering how hard it would be to to get XBMC on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5RQv9mBoY

Whats your take?

Feel free to chime in Dev's..

I'd think it would be able to boot openelec or XBMCbuntu. At least I don't see why not. How it can play netflix, I don't know.
Intel 'Core Processor' is kinda vague. I wonder how it compares to existing Nettop hardware that you can get in the same price range.
(2012-05-30, 00:20)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Intel 'Core Processor' is kinda vague. I wonder how it compares to existing Nettop hardware that you can get in the same price range.

Same thing I thought..

Some more detail from engaget http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/samsu...-3-review/

Quote:Spec-wise the Chromebox is built around a 1.9GHz dual-core Intel Celeron B840 (Sandy Bridge) CPU with 4GB RAM and a 16GB SSD.
Quote:Unlike the faceless Mac mini, the Chromebox provides a few ports and controls on the front panel -- a power switch / indicator light that glows blue, 3.5mm combination headphone / mic jack and two USB ports. A veritable legion of connectors adorns the back panel with a grounded AC socket (the power supply is built-in), DVI output (single link), gigabit Ethernet, four USB ports and two DisplayPort connectors. There's also a large air vent in the rear, along with a tiny hole hiding the reset button and a cutout for a Kensington lock behind which cleverly hides the developer switch.
No optical disk. Nothing I saw about audio.

No HDMI and an internal AC power supply (at least that's what the cloverleaf plug is saying to me anyway)?
looks ok, but im not extremely thrilled by it Tongue
(2012-05-30, 04:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: No HDMI and an internal AC power supply (at least that's what the cloverleaf plug is saying to me anyway)?

Haha I just noticed no audio now. Too bad it didn't have HDMI...

(2012-05-30, 06:59)eskro Wrote: looks ok, but im not extremely thrilled by it Tongue
Well its not something revolutionary, but if the hardware had more options that favored HTPC use it is a good start. The whole idea between the fast boot and OS got me interested. A nice way to get away from Windows and Apple..

I assume, both the DP ports can provide a HDMI audio/video out. Similarly the DVI out can provide a HDMI video out (at least). A (DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI) cable should cost a couple of bucks. But yes, no dedicated analog or digital audio out, is a bummer.

This dual core "core" 1.9 GHz proc is a big step up from those crappy Atoms. Seems like a nice box, for a nice price ($329). Will likely give the ChromeOS a try. Ana I would not be supprised if Ubuntu was up and running on this box within 1 to 2 weeks.
What a weird combination of ports (2 x DP + DVI). With the chainability of DP it makes no sense to have 2 x DP (six displays, which it'll struggle to drive) and waste space on a DVI. DP + HDMI + DVI would make much more sense. Or DP + HDMI + SPDIF. It's like the committee that designed this didn't know what they wanted it to do.

I do like the built-in PSU though, this is the one area I feel that (semi-)bog-standard PC hardware falls down. Always with the external power bricks and DC-DC conversion, whereas it's clearly possible to run nearly equivalent hardware from something much more compact.
DP passes HD audio...
I picked one of these up at Google I/O and was able to get ChrUbuntu running on it by running the script from http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2012/0...-bits.html. I'm following the Linux XBMC instructions and installing it now.

EDIT: I had to manually add my Wireless SSID to get it to connect to my network, but after that I was able to install XBMC via apt and can confirm that XBMC runs great. Was able to play movies from a shared folder, scrape covers from moviedb etc. Only frustrating thing is that because you have to enable the developer switch to install Ubuntu, each time you boot the device you have to hit Ctrl+D to get past the un-verified boot screen otherwise wait 30 seconds with a giant blue sad-face computer on the screen.

Going to try connecting a USB IR receiver and see if I can get my MCE remote to play nice with it today
anxious to hear your results
Thanks for the info!

(2012-05-30, 22:12)KraziJoe Wrote: DP passes HD audio...

According to an Amazon review of the ChromeBox it doesn't pass the audio over display port, you have to use the 3.5mm audio jack on the front of the device.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1LKR1CPCYT...6&store=pc

I wonder if this is a hardware or software thing...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Chromebox1