Trying out xbmcbuntu. Problems so far or am I doing it wrong??
Exclamation 
Wanting to give xbmcbuntu (eden) a try but I am having problems so far. Installation was easy, no problems there but when it was time to connect my htpc box to the T.V. using an s-video wire I don't get anything displayed on screen, just a black screen. I know it is supposed to be displaying correctly and that the wire is fine because when booting up the htpc I see the bios boot up and the xbmc loading screen but a black screen follows and nothing else.

At first I thought I might need to install/update the drivers for my gfx card so I downloaded the linux driver from nvidia (GeForce 9500gt card by the way) but not quite sure how to get a .run file to execute on linux (complete linux noob here). Later on I see that xbmcbuntu already has drivers for my card installed so it should be working fine anyway, right?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this up and running please? Huh

Not so important problem, but cheers if you can help me with this aswell:

Also I tried to change skins from the default one to the aeon one that I downloaded a .zip file from http://xbmc.org/skins/aeon/
not sure if I am doing it right but I tried to install it by going System>Settings>Add-ons>Install from zip file> then selecting the zip file I downloaded but it is telling me that it has the wrong structure or something. Am I doing it wrong? Confused
I take it your TV doesn't have DVI or VGA input, so that's why you're using an S-video connection? You'll probably need to create an xorg.conf file to enable Twinview TV-out for your video. Here's an old thread from someone who was successful in getting S-video to work. Heed the caveat about setting the correct TVStandard. Given the age of the post, some of the information may be deprecated/obsolete, so your mileage may vary. However, it is a place to start.
With a monitor connected by vga or dvi, you can start xbmcbuntu session, and then launch nvidia-settings and setup your second display,tv, and select it as primary display.

Another way is to add some parameter in your xorg.conf . The tips given in the previous link is still avalaible, and the 2 most important lines are :
Option "TVOutFormat" “SVIDEO”
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-N”

in Section "Device"

and for finish, a very usefull link (it helps me a lot!) : http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/d.../related/1
Thank you for your replies! Big Grin
Did you finally manage to setup your TV ? With which way did you manage ? (It can be useful for other user!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying out xbmcbuntu. Problems so far or am I doing it wrong?? 0