XBMC is nice, but flawed
Thumbs Down 
Keep in mind this was the first time I've used XBMC, and I only spent about an hour futzing with it (VLC takes about 1 minute to set up the first time).

Begin rant:

I installed XBMC yesterday.
Upon opening it for the first time, I immediately ran into a problem: A Little Snitch window appeared, waiting for me to accept or deny the connection to port 80. Although that window was on top of the XBMC window, my mouse could not get on top of it to press the button. in fact, the cursor was invisible throughout the entire screen, except a small strip at the bottom, where I could see it and was able to unhide the Dock. I tried and tried to get the mouse to appear so I could approve the connection, but it was fruitless. I I finally used ⌘+Tab to change apps, and the Little Snitch window was still on top and I was able to press Accept. I went back to XBMC and another LS window popped up. Again the cursor was hidden and I could not get to the LS window. Switched apps, clicked Accept, went back to XBMC and it happened again! Switched apps, accepted, switched back and got another one! This was really p*ss*ing me off since I couldn't simply press the button while XBMC was in use. Since the cursor wasn't visible, I wasn't able to click anything else in XBMC either. When the next LS window popped up, I switched apps and approved the connection to port 80 forever, so there wouldn't be any more requests for that port. I've never encountered this invisible cursor/LS window issue before.

Okay, after getting past that, I was impressed with the appearance of the app itself - the backgrounds are very nice. However, I quickly found that the navigation is HORRIBLE! Makes me wonder if the developers have ever actually gone through the menus. Quite often I'd get to a place where I wanted to leave, and there seemed to be no way out. Pressing the Escape button does nothing except make a sound. For example, if you click the Music tab, a window opens with several items listed. There seems to be to way to exit: there's no 'X' in the corner, no "Close" button, and clicking outside that area does nothing. The first couple times I had to quit to get out of the damn thing, then later I spotted the Home icon in the top left corner of the screen. I would prefer some sort of conspicuous button in the window. Pity that such an attractive app has such a terrible interface.

it seems that once you're in the app, you're stuck there - there is no button to minimize the window as there is in VLC and Quicktime (and almost all other other apps). You must either quit the app, or use a shortcut or Exposé to move to another app.

There appear to be no equalizer or audio settings. WTF?! Shocked ANY app designed to play music should have some audio settings!

There should be tooltips for all buttons and settings; there are an abundance of settings in this app that are not in other players, and I don't know what some of them do. Perhaps they're described in a user manual, but that would be extremely tedious if I had to keep resorting to a manual for each these settings. Even the 2 buttons in the lower left corner are ambiguous for a new user. I hovered over them waiting for a tooltip to tell me what they were for, but of course it never came. Clicking the leftmost icon causes a window to slide open from the right side of the screen, but it's empty and I have no idea what it's for.

The Weather tab displays a nice outdoor image that suits the tab; the Video tab shows a theater, which suits the tab; Music shows a guitar, which suits the tab; but Programs shows an abstract image that does not seem to suit the tab - it has little to do with programs (except maybe Photoshop).

I managed to view one video, and after it ended text started scrolling across the bottom of the screen (if it was there before, I hadn't noticed). I found this intrusive and annoying, and then I deduced from the icon on the bottom right that it must be an RSS feed. So I went stumbling through the menus again, and never did find a setting for RSS, and the text kept going. You'd think that clicking that RSS icon would do something, but you'd be wrong.

The temperature at the top is in Celsius. May as well put it in Martian, because they mean about the same to me. There's no setting for this in the Weather tab, but wouldn't you think that since I've already set my location and it is correctly displayed, that it would appear in Fahrenheit since I'm in the US?
And while we're on the subject, why is there a weather app inside this media player?! Oo What's next, a tab for currency exchange rates?

There will likely be more issues to add to this rant if I continue to use XBMC, but for now this is all I could think of.

If it's intent of the developers to drive away all but the most serious users, they may have succeeded. I look forward to the ease of using VLC again, and it has an equalizer!
VLC ain't pretty, but it's straightforward.

End rant.
This is NOT a media player, hence your frustration.

Since you're using it on OS X, you will know - this is Front Row (on steroids).

Click enter to activate an item, click backspace and ESC to go step back. Or even better, grab your silver remote to control it.
And BTW, I'm happy to help but only if you're willing to stop ranting Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Keep in mind this is not a basic computer media player, it is designed as a HTPC frontend with navigation with a remote control. Comparing it to VLC is an invalid comparison. As far as Celsius... you just need to set your region and that will adjust. Also, weather is an add-on that can be disabled if one wants. Some of the items you are "ranting" about are simply settings that you'll have to learn where they are to adjust.

As far as audio settings, there has just been a complete rebuild of the audio engine, supporting HD audio and all that will make it in the next stable version.

Oh, if you want "the little x in the corner" you need to enable windowed mode in settings but being a HTPC frontend, it's designed to be completely fullscreen.
Must agree with pecinko!

XBMC is designed to run on a machine connected to your TV and controlled by a remote!
So to say no VLC...

You said that you don't want to look into a user manual...unfortunately the XBMC wiki is the best ressource for that app but needs some time to dig through...

Maybe you should read the "What is XBMC" page in the wiki to get a better impression...

mad-max
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
So it's a weather app that plays audio, video and displays images? Huh

(2012-05-31, 18:18)pecinko Wrote: This is NOT a media player, hence your frustration.
Since you're using it on OS X, you will know - this is Front Row (on steroids).
Click enter to activate an item, click backspace and ESC to go step back. Or even better, grab your silver remote to control it.

I've never used Front Row, and just last week I received a silver remote I bought online. In the past I only used my white remote for iTunes, Quicktime, and turning off an alarm clock app from bed.

I guess XBMC is actually called a media center, not media player (at least on MacUpdate). Not sure what the difference is, but I would expect a center to maybe store the media and then you'd use another app to play it. However, this also plays media and does have video settings, so it seems to be more of a media player than a storage center.

On the XBMC homepage it says "AudioEngine brings high-definition audio to the already amazing XBMC. No matter the audio source, AE handles the decoding, resampling, transcoding, encoding and streaming of your media, including for the first time DTS-MA, TrueHD and 24-bit audio. XBMC has never sounded better!"
That certainly sounds like an audio player!

I thought I could use XBMC to play my video files and FLAC files, as a VLC replacement. This looked like VLC on steroids and with a better looking GUI.
XBMC is designed to have different sources for audio/video that will be catalogued into a database to have additional information like MPAA rating, actors, genre and stuff like that...
VLC is just a player and you should not mix up media center and storage center...this is a huge difference
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-05-31, 18:43)gabbott Wrote: weather is an add-on that can be disabled if one wants.

Oh, if you want "the little x in the corner" you need to enable windowed mode in settings but being a HTPC frontend, it's designed to be completely fullscreen.

As stated in my original post, "wouldn't you think that since I've already set my location and it is correctly displayed, that it would appear in Fahrenheit since I'm in the US?"
My city and state are showing in the weather window.

Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have guessed what windowed mode was (a fine example of why tooltips are needed).
I love how we seem to get one of these people about once a week now.

First things first. This is a free multi platform application created by great people in their own free time. It is designed for use when sitting on a couch from 8' away.

Just like anything else, you should read the documentation first, this will help you with most/all your problems

Thirdly, SEARCH! Just google "xbmc weather" the first result is http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Weather and when you look on that page, viola!
Quote: To change between Celsius and Fahrenheit go to Settings -> Appearance -> International and select your location under "Region".

I'm not trying to be rude, but please just read into things first to better help yourself.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
As some others have said - this is an HTPC frontend. Hook it up to a big TV, RTFM, configure it correctly, and the XBMC experience is unparalleled. All your complaints are coming from an expectation for xbmc to behave like a standard application, which it was not designed to behave like.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
RTFM
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-05-31, 18:52)Rebel Wrote: On the XBMC homepage it says "AudioEngine brings high-definition audio to the already amazing XBMC. No matter the audio source, AE handles the decoding, resampling, transcoding, encoding and streaming of your media, including for the first time DTS-MA, TrueHD and 24-bit audio. XBMC has never sounded better!"
That certainly sounds like an audio player!

Yes, but it also say that these area available as nightly/testing builds. Audio Engine will be in the next version of XBMC

Yes it will play all your audio files and organize them, and scrape information about them, and scrobble them, and share them, and and and etc. The possiblities are endless.
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2012-05-31, 18:59)lrusak Wrote: I love how we seem to get one of these people about once a week now.

First things first. This is a free multi platform application created by great people in their own free time. It is designed for use when sitting on a couch from 8' away.

Just like anything else, you should read the documentation first, this will help you with most/all your problems

Thirdly, SEARCH! Just google "xbmc weather" the first result is http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Weather and when you look on that page, viola!
Quote: To change between Celsius and Fahrenheit go to Settings -> Appearance -> International and select your location under "Region".

I'm not trying to be rude, but please just read into things first to better help yourself.

Well your post was rude, and if you don't like "these people", maybe you shouldn't be here.

Why on earth would I have Googled that? Do you expect me to Google every one of those issues I posted? When I have a Photoshop problem, I don't Google it, I go to the Photoshop forums. Sure, I suppose I could have put each individual issue into it's own thread, but that seems mighty senseless to me. I had already set my city and state, so why would I even think I'd need to set a region as well?

And how would I know there is a wiki for this app? I downloaded this from MacUpdate because it appeared to be another audio/video player - it is associated with Plex, MPlayerX, Quicktime, VLC etc. Nowhere in the description on MU does it says it's for snooty audiophiles only. What it does say, is that XBMC "has a large helpful community." From your reply, I guess that should be changed to "has a large critical community."
(2012-05-31, 19:18)Rebel Wrote: And how would I know there is a wiki for this app? I downloaded this from MacUpdate because it appeared to be another audio/video player - it is associated with Plex, MPlayerX, Quicktime, VLC etc. Nowhere in the description on MU does it says it's for snooty audiophiles only. What it does say, is that XBMC "has a large helpful community." From your reply, I guess that should be changed to "has a large critical community."

If you go to the main xbmc webpage there is a support link that has the wiki right on it. If you want assistance you need to be able to help yourself some too and put some time in. This isn't VLC that "takes a minute to setup". If you want to be critical of the app fine, but post stuff like that after you've put some time in to really learn what XBMC is. If you truly want help, then be willing to learn. Otherwise this will just be a post that gets locked because it isn't accomplishing anything.
(2012-05-31, 19:18)Rebel Wrote: Well your post was rude, and if you don't like "these people", maybe you shouldn't be here.

Why on earth would I have Googled that? Do you expect me to Google every one of those issues I posted? When I have a Photoshop problem, I don't Google it, I go to the Photoshop forums. Sure, I suppose I could have put each individual issue into it's own thread, but that seems mighty senseless to me. I had already set my city and state, so why would I even think I'd need to set a region as well?

And how would I know there is a wiki for this app? I downloaded this from MacUpdate because it appeared to be another audio/video player - it is associated with Plex, MPlayerX, Quicktime, VLC etc. Nowhere in the description on MU does it says it's for snooty audiophiles only. What it does say, is that XBMC "has a large helpful community." From your reply, I guess that should be changed to "has a large critical community."

Don't get me wrong, the community here is wonderful, everyone is very helpful but that doesn't mean your shouldn't read the manual first (and the forum stickies!)

Anyways, I hope you come around to enjoy it. XBMC is a wonderful thing.
(2012-05-31, 18:52)Rebel Wrote: So it's a weather app that plays audio, video and displays images? Huh

LOL. Sometimes it looks like that, yes Smile There are quite a few people that like having weather info on a big screen.

Differences between player and center are big. VLC looks awful on 50" TV and I guess XBMC looks kinda weird on your monitor with a mouse. You surely know what Apple TV is and what is the difference between it's and VLC interface. Only difference between ATV2 and XBMC is that media management is done in XBMC itself and not through a separate app like iTunes.

As for audio part, it is present in both videos and music and that announcement was primarily about Dolby 14+5 Smile support being added, but you can play your music FLACs just fine as well.

You can store your media wherever you want, just add media locations to XBMC and it will fetch metadata like plots and covers from internet or it will read it from your audio files.

If you are familiar with ATV2 switch from default skin to Quartz as it will give you good starting point. Once you get more familiar with XBMC you can choose any other which suits you best. Some reading of XBMC manual is needed, though. It is cross platform app that does almost everything except for making a dinner.

My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is nice, but flawed1