• 17(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
Don't share your thumbs, this has been unsupported for some time as the code has been re-written. The path to the thumbs is now stored in the database and each client now caches a local copy.

The server should generate the thumb, store the location in the database, and the client should pick it up.

Delete the path substitution, delete the textures##.db, and Thumbnails folder on each client and restart. Should fix it.

Oh, you may want to limit the SIZE of the thumb stored locally though if you're running an ATV2 or something else that's storage limited. You can do that with the following in advanced settings:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<imageres>480</imageres>
<fanartres>720</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>
Thanks manxam, that helped. I noticed the shows that don't have thumbnails in the "recently added episode" lists consequently don't have their respective tbn files, I guess due to the fact that sickbeard couldnt find it at that moment on TVDB. Clicking "Force Full Update" in sickbeard for the show in question does retrieve the tbn file...
Just wanted to confirm that the current patches are working fine on Beta 1. Built a few minutes ago and everything is working A-OK. Database version remains the same at 72 as well.
Ok, I hate to ask. But manxam, could you please help me get your init.d script working. The xbmc-server works great on a manual start up. I found with putting it on a cron creates hundreds of instances running in memory after a while.

From the frodo directory, I've issued "make install" to install xbmc init it's proper directory. Now according to this post, I copied your supplied init.d script to /etc/init.d and named it xbmc. I've renamed xbmc-server to xbmc-server.bin and moved it to /usr/local/lib/xbmc/
Then done "update-rc.d xbmc defaults"
Next issued the startup command and got:
Code:
root@server:/home/bootleg# /etc/init.d/xbmc start
bash: /etc/init.d/xbmc: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Sorry to bother you again.

edit - the manual run was done from /root/xbmc and it works great. If anything else, how can I edit the init.d script to run it straight form /root/xbmc?
I had that problem. I believe it is because you saved a windows file with carriage return that linux doesn't like.
Use the dos2unix command.

Thanks. But that only worked in clearing the error. It reports it starting, but xbmc-server is never loaded into memory. Verified by checking the processes list and double checked by the 404 I get trying to access the XBMC webgui.
Code:
XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc
XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc

DAEMON=/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc-server.bin

Change xbmc_bin_home to the directory that your xbmc-server binary is stored.
Change xbmc_home to where xbmc stores it's files
change daemon to the actual name of the binary that you're trying to run

does /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages show any errors when it fails to run? I also generate a pid file @ PID_FILE=/var/run/xbmc.pid so check to see if it's created.

If the pid was created but xbmc failed to start for some reason you may not be able to restart xbmc w/o "xbmc stop && xbmc start" or "xbmc restart" or by simply deleting the pid file and issuing "xbmc start" again.

Edit; found what I was looking for
(2012-11-16, 05:31)manxam Wrote:
Code:
XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc
XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc

DAEMON=/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc-server.bin

Change xbmc_bin_home to the directory that your xbmc-server binary is stored.
Change xbmc_home to where xbmc stores it's files
change daemon to the actual name of the binary that you're trying to run

I've copied xbmc-server.bin to the DAEMON location mentioned above as well as changing the DAEMON location to the location of the working setup. it will report it starting each time now. But it will fail to start each and every time.

(2012-11-16, 05:31)manxam Wrote: does /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages show any errors when it fails to run? I also generate a pid file @ PID_FILE=/var/run/xbmc.pid so check to see if it's created.

If the pid was created but xbmc failed to start for some reason you may not be able to restart xbmc w/o "xbmc stop && xbmc start" or "xbmc restart" or by simply deleting the pid file and issuing "xbmc start" again.

It creates. I've done as suggested by deleting the xbmc.pid file and running /etc/init.d/xbmc start but it has no effect. Just recreates the pid file and refuses to start the program. Only way xbmc-server starts is by a manual command line entry, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Edit - never mind. Found it it was a permissions problem. I needed xbmc-server.bin to be at least 744 permissions. it's working now. Thanks to all.
don't forget to add it to the startup. Just placing it in init.d isn't enough on most modern distros. You'll need to 'update-rc.d xbmc-server default' in case you haven't done this already. (assuming you named the init script 'xbmc-server')

Cheers!
did the update-rc.d xbmc default
works great with no issues now that I've fixed the permissions screw up. xbmc-server is starting up now, I can scan the library with the web gui, xbmc on my windows system, or xbmcbuntu in the living room. It was just that one small hurdle that I overlooked. Thank you again.

I knew there was a reason why I did not continue my C++ studies on my Commadore 1200...... No elbow pads required :-)
HP N54L server with 6GB Memory and 10TB storage
Freenas server
HD Homerun twin HD network tuners (awesome)
2 x Pi 512 (B)
EDIT: Please ignore this post. Problem is now solved.

(2012-11-12, 19:22)manxam Wrote: Bootleg, then you're not commenting out the lines, commenting out the wrong lines, or commenting out the lines but not deleting the old files and it's not making new ones when you choose make..

Here's the edited code which *I* call xbmc-server on Pastebin. Save it as xbmc-server.cpp
Here's the edited makefile to build xbmc-server instead of xbmcvideolibraryscan. Pastebin. Save it as make_xbmc-server

place both in ./xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/xbmc/

Then (this is for lloyd's benefit):

cd into /xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-shared-lib
make

copy the libxbmc.so shared library to /lib (not a bad idea to run ldconfig after this just so it's read into the library cache)

Build xbmc-server:

cd into /xbmc-frodo-whatever-the-current-head-is-called/xbmc/
make -f make_xbmc-server all

copy the xbmc-server binary to wherever you'd like

to run:

XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc ./xbmc-server

Following these instructions, I finally got xbmc and xbmc-server to compile on my server after installing all the many dependencies, but unfortunately I can't get it to run.

I've put libxbmc.so in /lib as instructed, and run ldconfig, and put xbmc-server in /usr/local/bin. When I try to run all I get is this:

Code:
lloydsmart@oracle ~ $ XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/bin XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/xbmc-server /usr/local/bin/xbmc-server
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong? Do I need to "make install" xbmc?

Thanks for all your help so far. I feel like I'm getting really close now, but I just can't figure out this final bit of the puzzle. Confused

EDIT: Please ignore. I was running the command incorrectly. The following command makes it work. My mistake.

Code:
XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/xbmc-server xbmc-server
I'm feeling rather stupid... I've used the xbmc-server bin for a while with an alpha version of Frodo, which worked fine (version from #108). Now I'm trying to upgrade to beta1, but I'm running into some issues. I'm using the xbmc-server version from #224 and the libxbmc.so from beta1.

Code:
# ./xbmc-server -n -p
Unable to find path to XBMC data files!

I'm using it in exactly the same way as the previous version of xbmc-server. When I use that one with the new libxbmc.so it works as expected (except that it exits with a segfault, which is of course expected as well...). Putting the xbmc-server bin with the userdata directories etc doesn't help either.

I'm pretty much stuck now, so does anybody have a clue why this version won't run as a portable version?

EDIT:

Missed post #162 which has a fix for this. Basically: run everything from /opt/xbmc.

Quote:For xbmcVideoLibraryScan.cpp and make_xbmcVideoLibraryScan, copy them in a subfoler in /root/xbmc
(eg: mkdir /root/xbmc/server)

For /opt/xbmc, you should'nt have an other xbmc subfolder. From /root/xbmc:
cp -r addons /opt/xbmc/
cp -r language /opt/xbmc/
cp -r media /opt/xbmc/
cp -r sounds /opt/xbmc/
cp -r system /opt/xbmc/
cp -r userdata /opt/xbmc/

From /root/xbmc/server (or whatever folder you created)
cp xbmcVideoLibraryScan /opt/xbmc/

From /opt/xbmc
./xbmcVideoLibraryScan

(Where it says 'xbmcVideoLibraryScan', you can use 'xbmc-server' - it's basically the same application.)
Ok, although it seemed to be working, it apparently is not. I cannot access the webgui, even though xbmc-server listens on a port. It's a bit weird: I initially configured 9090 to be the port to listen on, but because I couldn't connect I decided to change it. However, xbmc-server keeps listening on 9090 no matter what I set in guisettings.xml. According to the logs it does load the advancedsettings.xml (same dir), so I'm pretty sure I made the changes to the correct file.

When digging around I do not immediately see what's wrong. This is the only error I found in /var/syslog:

Code:
Nov 19 22:24:44 downloader console-kit-daemon[1227]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I've set it up like this:
Code:
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: /opt/xbmc/
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: special://xbmcbin/ is mapped to: /opt/xbmc
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /opt/xbmc/portable_data/userdata
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: /opt/xbmc/portable_data
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: /opt/xbmc/portable_data/temp
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: The executable running is: /opt/xbmc/xbmc-server
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: Local hostname: downloader
22:24:44 T:3078059824  NOTICE: Log File is located: /opt/xbmc/portable_data/temp/xbmc.log
(Snippet from the xbmc.log.)

Running without the portable option, it uses ~/.xbmc, which has the same issue.

Would love to know how to fix this Smile.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9