• 21(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
I'm on a i386 VM running in vmware workstation 9 under WHS 2011. Processor is an old E4500 and only 4gb ram, 1gb assigned to the VM. Mounts are cifs mounts but I'm probably going to switch to vmware shared folders to see if they're faster because the cifs mounts are not so fast. I would go all linux if there were a decent equivalent to drive bender and the automated client backup that WHS provides.

I'm also thinking of doing a post processing script for sickbeard and couchpotato to run xbmcVideoLibraryScan instead of running xbmc-server all the time.
(2012-12-12, 05:12)manxam Wrote: Hrmm.. My so is about the same size +/- a few MB but my general CPU usage is 2% on a quad core 3.2 Ghz AMD. It goes to about 7% when updating content in a MySQL database and the content is served locally but accessed via an exported NFS share.

I've temporarily made the switch to a windows box though as sharing content via UPNP while scanning and/or cleaning crashes the xbmc process due to a libpthread crash that I can't track down.. Sad

Have you confirmed if sharing content via UPNP while scanning and/or cleaning crashes XBMC when running normally (ie. not using the shared lib)? Just trying to narrow down the root cause...
Did anyone try to use the service Addon "Library Watchdog" in a GUIless install? This is the most efficent and easiest way to update your library...
From what I can read, having to mount the network shares for "Library Watchdog" to work is a complete nogo.
I don't want to be dependent of mount points in an heterogeneous XBMC OS client (ATV2 / Windows / Linux...) environment.
NFS for all my sources and cron-job, or sickbeard/<whatever movie manager> notification to XBMC is working perfectly fine.
Modifying the Application.cpp as explained in here really cuts down on the memory and cpu usage. I was also able to compile libxbmc.so with a few more things disabled via config script.
Hello..

i have the following setup:

Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL v2 with debian installed on it.. So I do not have no gui..

since there is no jailbreak for ATV3 available, I would like to install XBMC on my Linkstation a use Airplay to stream my movies to the ATV.
Is it possible to do that?

Thank you
(2012-12-19, 23:44)KRavEN Wrote: Modifying the Application.cpp as explained in here really cuts down on the memory and cpu usage. I was also able to compile libxbmc.so with a few more things disabled via config script.

so your guide posted here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1262063
An extra step to save some extra CPU+mem usage: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1248048
Some experimental extra savings: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1262129

should really get things going forward.. Maybe an UPNP-headless server guide and an webinterface to do the setup and many users will benefit those setups. Great work Kraven.

Quote:...Maybe an UPNP-headless server guide and an webinterface to do the setup and many users will benefit those setups. Great work Kraven.

That would be very nice..!
Ok, I finally had the time to completely set this up (including a clean up of all my media) and it's working quite well. The daemon crashes every once in a while when you try to do things that won't work (an example is accessing the remote features in the webgui), but nothing too serious. I'll probably just stop and start the daemon every hour to make sure it's still running, which as a useful side effect has that it will scan for new files. Hopefully we'll get something truly stable in the future, but this is actually far better than it used to be, so no complaining from me Wink.

Now I'm thinking of ways to make even better use of the daemon. I was thinking of installing some addons that normally run on the client on start. Probably going to start with the traktr addon, which will keep the watched status in sync. I'll still use the client to update traktr when I'm actually watching something, but use the daemon to do a clean and sync every now and then. Similar things could be done with artwork addons (which you can configure to sync at start).

Has anyone had succes of using addons? I assume you can just configure it on a client and copy the files to the server. I'm curious if there are any side effects.
I tried to build this using Kraven's instructions. Alas, it backtraces on startup, all the time. My config is pretty basic; media via SMB, MySQL database tracking it all.

If anyone is good at backtraces, maybe you could have a look at http://pastebin.com/eKawTy0w and tell me what other info would be useful in tracking down why it's crashing. I can't even work out which thread caused the segfault.
(2012-12-28, 12:07)BigValen Wrote: I tried to build this using Kraven's instructions. Alas, it backtraces on startup, all the time. My config is pretty basic; media via SMB, MySQL database tracking it all.

If anyone is good at backtraces, maybe you could have a look at http://pastebin.com/eKawTy0w and tell me what other info would be useful in tracking down why it's crashing. I can't even work out which thread caused the segfault.

Thread #4 is the culprit (look for "this=0x0" is usually a good start). Looks like you need to add

Code:
<videolibrary>
      <backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate>
  </videolibrary>
to your guisettings.xml and it should work, IIRC. Should be a similar post earlier in this thread.

(2012-12-17, 11:44)Odon Wrote: From what I can read, having to mount the network shares for "Library Watchdog" to work is a complete nogo.
I don't want to be dependent of mount points in an heterogeneous XBMC OS client (ATV2 / Windows / Linux...) environment.
NFS for all my sources and cron-job, or sickbeard/<whatever movie manager> notification to XBMC is working perfectly fine.

If i get it right you need to mount locally the network shares only where you want the watchdog to work, which means on the machine you are running xbmc-server.
The clients shouldn't need it. Am i wrong?

Ok.. i've made some experiments with addons like watchdog and library auto updater... they simply don't run :-D can somebody confirm that?
Right now im using xbmcVideoLibraryScan + cron to schedule updates, but the possibility to have a server componenet is so much more intresting.....
(2012-12-11, 22:40)KRavEN Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 13:27)Robotica Wrote: @Kraven: Great step-by-step tutorial!! Could you also share some statistics: Mem usage, CPU usage, MB on HD?
Seems to be more than it should. xbmc-server has 10 processes and 2 are always between 7% and 20% cpu even when doing nothing that I can see. Each process also consumes 152M.

My libxbmc.so size is 19211222

Anyone succeed getting lower ram usage ?

In addition to share my media library through upnp I want to have the ability to play audio through an usb sound card,
I'll start with following the steps on KRavEN post and have libmp3lame enabled.
Anyone tried such setup ?
@dhead... I am gonna try the same setup in 2013. Ideally, My idea is to disable all video stuff. And use a cheap arm processor, without gpu, just for music streaming. But i think it needs a lot of work to get this running in an efficiënt way.
(2012-12-28, 13:40)ZIOLele Wrote:
(2012-12-17, 11:44)Odon Wrote: From what I can read, having to mount the network shares for "Library Watchdog" to work is a complete nogo.

If i get it right you need to mount locally the network shares only where you want the watchdog to work, which means on the machine you are running xbmc-server.
The clients shouldn't need it. Am i wrong?

Ok.. i've made some experiments with addons like watchdog and library auto updater... they simply don't run :-D can somebody confirm that?
Right now im using xbmcVideoLibraryScan + cron to schedule updates, but the possibility to have a server componenet is so much more intresting.....

I'm trying to build the server again after updating my clients (clients run Frodo R2, server is compiled with latest git version), using the howto made by KRavEN
I got the new server running, only problem now is XBMC seems to crash when certain json requests are made.
I can run a library scan using curl, but any web interface and a json request from sickbeard/couchpotato seems to segfault the server again.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9