• 22(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
What's the segfault in? libpthread or something else? Do you have a stack trace or debug log? The last compile I did (RC2) using my configure line (which is what kraven basically posted) and with the two modifications to the code to disable audio I experience no issues and run sick and couch and have them updating xbmc via json. I haven't compiled from master since so I'm not certain if any major changes have occurred since..

I'll take a quick look through the commits in git to see if anything glaring pops up.
the segfault is :
Code:
[650992.066501] xbmc-server[26736]: segfault at 7fe1e17fbfe8 ip 00007fe1f6065bf7 sp 00007fe1e17fbfe0 error 6 in libc-2.11.1.so[7fe1f602b000+17d000]
but after crashing 8 times in an hour yesterday, it seems to be running stable now ... at least since my last post yesterday.
I found some extra saving in the configure flags as well.
I'm only using the XBMC server to update my media library (using json query's from Couchpotato / Sickbeard)
I compiled the server using KRavEN's howto, and added the following to the configure command line :
Code:
--disable-optical-drive \
--disable-libbluray \
--disable-ssh \
--disable-udev \
--disable-libvorbisenc \
--disable-asap-codec \
--disable-afpclient \
--disable-nfs \
--disable-goom \
--disable-avahi \
--disable-non-free \
--disable-upnp
The result is a libxbmnc.so of 18 MB, running the server on an ION board uses 5% CPU and 1,4% mem (Dual core 1,6Ghz, 2GB mem)
it seems to be running stable and is serving the default XBMC webinterface, accessing media using Samba and handling the update requests triggered by Couchpotato and Sickbeard (and a full update/cleanup using a cronjob once every week)
On my AMD E350 1.6GHz dual core system, it doesn't take much at all. Running 4GB and OMV with a Debian Squeeze base. A scan with xbmc-server or xbmcVideoLibraryScan will only bring CPU usage up to 50% max. I think I'm still running Beta 3 on the headless XBMC with no special flags on the config before compiling.

OT: @Bootlegninja: It's nice to meet other guys running OMV here Wink

BTT: I tried to follow KRavENs port here on OMV, but the two files (make_xbmc-server and abmc_server.cpp) are missing on (KRavENs?) server. Can anyone fix it please? Thx
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
(2013-01-07, 18:30)Solo0815 Wrote: BTT: I tried to follow KRavENs port here on OMV, but the two files (make_xbmc-server and abmc_server.cpp) are missing on (KRavENs?) server. Can anyone fix it please? Thx

source files :
http://excyle.nl/xbmc-server/make_xbmc-server
http://excyle.nl/xbmc-server/xbmc-server.cpp

init.d file :
http://excyle.nl/xbmc-server/xbmc-server
hello,

i have followed the instruction from KRavENs on an ubuntu 12.10 system. The installationen finished successfully without any errors, but now when i try to start the xbmc-server i get the following message: (with gdb)

Quote:XBMC Media Center 12.0-RC3 Git:20130109-e87bc80
Copyright © 2005-2011 Team XBMC - http://www.xbmc.org

Starting XBMC Server

[New Thread 0xac948b40 (LWP 6310)]
[Thread 0xac948b40 (LWP 6310) exited]
[New Thread 0xac948b40 (LWP 6311)]
[New Thread 0xb474cb40 (LWP 6312)]
[New Thread 0xb3dd7b40 (LWP 6313)]
[New Thread 0xb352ab40 (LWP 6314)]
[New Thread 0xb2d29b40 (LWP 6315)]
[New Thread 0xb2528b40 (LWP 6316)]
[New Thread 0xb1d27b40 (LWP 6317)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0xb352ab40 (LWP 6314)]
0xb6caacb7 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0

Have someone an idea how i can fix it?

thanks a lot
What does it show in the xbmc.log, that trace doesn't do anything for me Smile

You do have at least the following in advancedsettings.xml btw? :
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
oh thanks, I forgot to create the advancesetting.xml

is it possible to compile this xbmc-server on arm architecture or can i use an crosscompiler?

thanks.
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, but I'm running a WHS 2011 box as my media server and XBMC MySQL database.

So obviously, my question is: has anyone succesfully built a headless XBMC instance for Windows? I have absolutely no experience in compiling on Windows, but I'm confident I would succeed (using the howto on the XBMC wiki). But before I begin, I thought I'd ask because it seems nobody has tried? Or maybe it's not possible?

My only goal of having a headless XBMC on Windows is to update the library (initiated by EventGhost, after unpacking and renaming of downloads is finished) and maybe as DLNA server. My WHS 2011 box only has basic onboard graphics which is insufficient for running XBMC. And of course: I would rather not have a resource-consuming GUI if there's no display connected Smile
rb338, when I was forced for a time to run xbmc in windows I did so within an ESXi guest which obviously doesn't have hardware acceleration. All I did was start xbmc minimized and made sure that I had the most aggressive dirty regions enabled as I, obviously, could care less about gui artifacts Smile

Whilst the guest only had 1ghz reserved on a single vCPU and only 512M of ram it idled at about 5% and never exceeded 20% unless updating the sql library via NFS. This is definitely in line with the headless linux install that I'm running..

So, don't bother Smile Besides, having the GUI is really very handy some times when you want to make config changes. I just didn't want to devote an entire virtual guest to xbmc when I could just run it on one of my already running linux guests... Now that I got the NFS/UPNP/Update library crash all fixed up in linux I've switched back.

manxam, tnx for your reply Smile If I remember correctly, XBMC wouldn't even start without proper video hardware. Maybe there's some kind of command switch or an advanced setting for this, haven't figured it out yet. But your resource figures sure sound good so it seems "good enough" indeed Smile

Will see if I can somehow force XBMC to boot.
Oh, I should have mentioned that you'll likely need to run one of the dsplayer builds if you don't have a decent video card or if you run it in a virtual guest like I did.

The most recent from Frodo-RC3/head (Jan 12) is HERE.

Updates listed in THIS thread..
Has anyone tried doing this on a Unraid NAS?
I have it on unraid. Working fine, over a month running without a crash.

I am using ubuntu 12.10 in virtualbox (running in terminal mode only) and its using minimal resources.

I decided to go the virtualbox route mainly because of dependency issues and i did not want to mess to much with system files.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9