• 4(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
Ok so i should cross compile both example and xbmc to get this working but it should be possible to get this running on a NAS? Are there any instructions available for headless versions or just the regular way?
Thanks manxam, guess its time to learn how to compile programs!
I am not really sure whether XBMC will cross compile for the Synology NAS and suspect that the XBMC devs will not provide much support as it is not really a target platform for XBMC...
I'm going to try and see what happens it's only unclear what i need.
Do i need to compile xbmc for only libxbmc.so and compile provided sample ?
And which repo/pull request do i need to grab? i see pulls #542 , #890 and then #1049
Just for clarification - what you want to do is a platform port. The android port needed several month. You need to cross compile all dependency libs and xbmc itself. Before that you most likly need to add a buildsys for your platform (see tools/darwin or tools/android for the ios and android buildsys).

Well it will work of course. But you should be really experienced if you want to do it in a reasonable time Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz
Is it really a platform port ?

Synology in my case is also Linux

DS211> cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32.12 (root@build2) (gcc version 4.2.1) #2228 Thu May 10 02:19:28 CST 2012
It might be Linux - but it's not a standard processor...

Synology Processors

So I think you'll have to port it to that processor..

Good luck Big Grin
I'm not sure what's the official XBMC's developers stand on having lightweight XBMC server app that would scrape and serve to clients but if they decide to embrace it, I'm pretty sure Synology devs will help/do the port for that platform.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Yes, looking at the DS211 specs (I assume that is your Synology box given your cat line above) it is an ARM-based processor with 256MB of RAM so you will need to do a port.

You may want to look at the Raspberry Pi branch as it an ARM-based platform and might at least help with some of the buildsys stuff.

Best of luck Smile
@pecinko
I think if in the future such lightweight XBMC server is published and available for different NAS models this would enlarge the XBMC community and make a lot of people happy that have more then one XBMC instance running. I also think a lot of the XBMC users also have a NAS and they currently need to do several tweaks etc to get a central library.

@vicbitter
During the first time i posted about this and now i realize this is above my head to accomplish. Although i'll take a look at the Raspberry Pi branch but i'll doubt if i ever get this running on a NAS Wink
(2012-07-19, 13:43)schumi2004 Wrote: I think if in the future such lightweight XBMC server is published and available for different NAS models this would enlarge the XBMC community and make a lot of people happy that have more then one XBMC instance running. I also think a lot of the XBMC users also have a NAS and they currently need to do several tweaks etc to get a central library.

I have Synology NAS, too, but I don't think XBMC devs should do the port. It's a big task and different NASes uses different architecture. I believe it would be done by NAS manufacturers given that XBMC is open source and it's community is large so there are financial benefits for them if they do it.

My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hmm and what about Synology NASses with an X86 CPU?
I would like to be able to have SB/CP send notifications to an xbmc server and update my mysql db on the NAS.
Anything is possible if somebody is willing to port and test... There will be dependencies such as shared libraries that XBMC requires which will need to be resolved first. Remember just because Synology NASes run Linux doesn't mean one build fits all.

The first thing to do is install and configure a build environment on the NAS and start the process of porting/recompiling...

And there are multiple ARM ports now.

iOS
Android
RBpi
and the older ones (Pandaboard)

All are ARM based, the last 2 are even linux based. It was a huge amount of porting work needed anyways. But if you get the right toolchain for the ARM based Synology - it might work pretty well (maybe the pandaboard build manual - if there is one - would be where to go after then) - if you don't need that gles stuff for the ui.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-07-15, 02:48)manxam Wrote: Kungfudriveby, it works flawlessly so there's nothing to follow. Just setup the build environment on your unraid server and have at it...

Has anyone set this up on unraid and would that person like to share the steps involved for those of us that are linux newbies?

Thanks
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9