• 5(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
I've been working on it for a couple days now. As i'm learning as I go, I haven't gotten anywhere lol. I'm thinking someone will have an easier implementation before I get it figured out, but it doesn't hurt learning something new.

EDIT:
Hope I shouldn't have posted this elsewhere. I have finally come to the point that I am stumped. When I try to compile xbmc-server.cpp I get the following, http://pastebin.com/XJtD8rkc
You may laugh but it has taken me over 24 hours to get to this point. I had some errors early on about some missing .h files, i managed to find those at various websites, don't know if that could be the issue. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
tbh if you want this running on a nas then xbmc is probably too big of a beast to strip down.
I think the best way would be to write a wrapper around the library code files and compile for that environment.
so all the app would do is watch for changes in the source directories and call the add to library function.
the library would be a MySQL db so all clients have access
(2012-07-21, 23:22)vishalm Wrote: tbh if you want this running on a nas then xbmc is probably too big of a beast to strip down.
I think the best way would be to write a wrapper around the library code files and compile for that environment.
so all the app would do is watch for changes in the source directories and call the add to library function.
the library would be a MySQL db so all clients have access

That would be the best thing but who is skilled enough to create such thing?
I guess anyone with a nas and is looking for a better experience...

I've just moved my setup away from a MySQL db as it was really slow but something like this will make me consider it again.

I'm just started to play with the code but could attempt to tackle this for a qnap arm nas once I've done what im trying to.
No promises though as I've never done any c++ ... wish me luck Smile
(2012-07-21, 04:56)kungfudriveby Wrote: I've been working on it for a couple days now. As i'm learning as I go, I haven't gotten anywhere lol. I'm thinking someone will have an easier implementation before I get it figured out, but it doesn't hurt learning something new.

EDIT:
Hope I shouldn't have posted this elsewhere. I have finally come to the point that I am stumped. When I try to compile xbmc-server.cpp I get the following, http://pastebin.com/XJtD8rkc
You may laugh but it has taken me over 24 hours to get to this point. I had some errors early on about some missing .h files, i managed to find those at various websites, don't know if that could be the issue. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Did you follow my instructions in post #19?
(2012-07-21, 23:38)vicbitter Wrote: Did you follow my instructions in post #19?

:Confusedlams head against desk::
I will when I get home. I have no clue why I didn't. I have read this entire thread about 20 times I'm sure, lol. Thanks for your help vicbitter!
(2012-07-21, 23:36)vishalm Wrote: I've just moved my setup away from a MySQL db as it was really slow but something like this will make me consider it again.

I'm just started to play with the code but could attempt to tackle this for a qnap arm nas once I've done what im trying to.

There's a Google summer of code UPnP project going on which will, probably use XMLs/JSON for communication between devices. Would it make sense to use faster SQLite and send XMLs/JSON to clients instead? Benefits are that a server could then be used by any device, not just by those capable of MySQL communication.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-07-22, 09:59)pecinko Wrote:
(2012-07-21, 23:36)vishalm Wrote: I've just moved my setup away from a MySQL db as it was really slow but something like this will make me consider it again.

There's a Google summer of code UPnP project going on which will, probably use XMLs/JSON for communication between devices. Would it make sense to use faster SQLite and send XMLs/JSON to clients instead? Benefits are that a server could then be used by any device, not just by those capable of MySQL communication.

Should be a lot faster as long as the client isn't constantly pulling data from the server.
ideally data should be pulled at the beginning of the session to a local store, then notifications to and from the server will keep both local and remote db in sync only when data is updated.
This way browsing through menus is only pulling data from the local store which is a lot faster.
Synology is preparing video streaming of it's own http://blog.synology.com/blog/?p=1267 and as I predicted a couple of posts above is porting alternative media server solution to ARM.

I hope devs would consider XBMC server app in addition to HTPC all in one solution. We already have official iOS and Android native clients (3rd party Windows metro in developement).
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-07-22, 09:59)pecinko Wrote:

I honestly don't understand the push for upnp in xbmc. It is LAN only and in reality, if I'm on the same lan, I'd rather watch the media on one of my big tvs hooked up to one of my htpcs. The only reason I would need upnp is if I wanted to watch media on a device that doesn't support xbmc like a tablet. But like I said, if I am on the LAN, I will always prefer watching on TV. Tablet is only needed for media when I am away from home, and that's when upnp is useless.

Anyway, that was my little rant :-)
I guess your setup is exactly how the rest of the world's setup is...
Oh no, wait... Others have things like PS3s, WD Lives, etc etc hooked up to their big screens.... And maybe DLNA capable small TVs in work areas.... or maybe an iPad in the kitchen while cooking... But I'm sure they wouldn't want to get served to on all their various devices from one central box...

Who knows... but yeah, let's install HTPCs everywhere... that makes more sense... sigh.

PS. I use Plex just for that reason. Plex server serves to all my devices. Sony TV or PS3 via DLNA, to iPad and iPhone via DLNA or the Plex App (used more often, and usable while remote), etc. etc. There's a lot to be said for Client / Server architecture, and use of techs which are Standards based (at least mostly) usable across all devices that one has.
Looks like things are getting even better: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1212
That doesn't have anything to do with standalone xbmc server ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-07-23, 23:59)aptalca Wrote: I honestly don't understand the push for upnp in xbmc. It is LAN only and in reality, if I'm on the same lan, I'd rather watch the media on one of my big tvs hooked up to one of my htpcs. The only reason I would need upnp is if I wanted to watch media on a device that doesn't support xbmc like a tablet. But like I said, if I am on the LAN, I will always prefer watching on TV. Tablet is only needed for media when I am away from home, and that's when upnp is useless.

Last time I asked explanation was that it could be used to XBMC 2 XBMC communication.

Even if you are on the same LAN it would be useful to have xbmc server serving stuff in an centralized way (in ideal case on NAS, but I won't mind it running on PC either). Tablet can be used in bed and for listening to music so local LAN != htpc only.

Finally with all manufactures making efforts to support apps on their devices it seems only logical to have centralized server in addition to all-in-one XBMC and use native apps for clients instead of porting XBMC to all posible platforms out there. Sometimes porting is not possible and XBMC resource demands does not suit any device out there. Native apps would be fast and made by people that are familiar with given platform and I really think there will be lots of them as XBMC is open platform as opposed to others.

Wether devs are interested in this and if this can be achieved through UPnP - I really don't know.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hi,
anyone has success with xbmc-server apps and NFS source scanning ? I can't scan NFS on my server side client and I can't easily test with complete XBMC.bin.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9