• 8(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
I failed in my attempt to get this working on my (Synology) NAS. At first i had some problems compiling libxbmc.so and after that getting it to run.

Anyone else successful in getting this to run on his NAS?
Thanks for your reply Odon, it starts to make a little more sense now. I was messing around with the program that just does a scan and halts, but now found the xbmc-server code (which is exactly what I'm looking for). I got around compiling it and setting it up similar to how you did. I can get the bin to work, it will listen on a port and log some stuff, but it does not work as I would expect.

- The '-p' option does not seem to work. I run the binary from ~/xbmc-server/ (which has all the folders), but it starts logging to an old xbmc directory (~/.xbmc/).

- And although it listens on a port, I cannot make a HTTP connection to it (HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request).

- Moreover, when I run the binary I get "sh: /home/jochem/xbmc-server/xbmc-xrandr: not found". I don't know if this is actually important (I believe it something GUI related).

It would be really cool to get this working, so if somebody has a clue on what I'm doing wrong please let me know.
(2012-10-08, 14:20)XBL. Wrote: Thanks for your reply Odon, it starts to make a little more sense now. I was messing around with the program that just does a scan and halts, but now found the xbmc-server code (which is exactly what I'm looking for). I got around compiling it and setting it up similar to how you did. I can get the bin to work, it will listen on a port and log some stuff, but it does not work as I would expect.

- The '-p' option does not seem to work. I run the binary from ~/xbmc-server/ (which has all the folders), but it starts logging to an old xbmc directory (~/.xbmc/).

- And although it listens on a port, I cannot make a HTTP connection to it (HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request).

- Moreover, when I run the binary I get "sh: /home/jochem/xbmc-server/xbmc-xrandr: not found". I don't know if this is actually important (I believe it something GUI related).

It would be really cool to get this working, so if somebody has a clue on what I'm doing wrong please let me know.

Easiest question first: xbmc-xrandr is no problem

2nd question: Do you have a link to your xbmc-server.cpp ? Here's mine: http://pastebin.com/Hn5FMbNE
Note the two lines to parle command line arguments:
Code:
CAppParamParser appParamParser;
  appParamParser.Parse((const char **)argv, argc);
Other idea: check folder rights

For connection issues, once portable mode is working, check:
portable_data/userdata/guisettings.xml

Code:
<esenabled>true</esenabled>
<...>
<webserver>true</webserver>
<webserverpassword></webserverpassword>
<webserverport>8080</webserverport>
<webserverusername></webserverusername>
<webskin>webinterface.default</webskin>
(I think those are the important parameters)

(2012-10-08, 14:29)Odon Wrote: Easiest question first: xbmc-xrandr is no problem

2nd question: Do you have a link to your xbmc-server.cpp ? Here's mine: http://pastebin.com/Hn5FMbNE
Note the two lines to parle command line arguments:
Code:
CAppParamParser appParamParser;
  appParamParser.Parse((const char **)argv, argc);
Other idea: check folder rights

For connection issues, once portable mode is working, check:
portable_data/userdata/guisettings.xml

Code:
<esenabled>true</esenabled>
<...>
<webserver>true</webserver>
<webserverpassword></webserverpassword>
<webserverport>8080</webserverport>
<webserverusername></webserverusername>
<webskin>webinterface.default</webskin>
(I think those are the important parameters)
You are awesome!! I used an old version of the code which was missing the two lines you mentioned. Yours compiled just fine and it seems to be working perfect now (I can access the web interface). Thank you very much, this server setup is what I've wanted for ages.
(2012-10-08, 15:29)XBL. Wrote: this server setup is what I've wanted for ages.

This Laugh

I tried compiling the latest xbmc git repo, only too run into errors, but i eventually realized that i didn't want a Frodo version as is uses a different Database scheme too Eden. As we know, Eden-Stable doesn't have --enabled-shared-lib option. Is there a way around this? In the mean time i cant upgrade my xbmc machines too a unstable frodo build as it is way too buggy. But we cant use frodo headless with eden clients, or can we? anyways the issue i'm facing with now is that https://github.com/vajonam/xbmc/tree/Eden-Server (that i had working on a virtual machine for testing purposes) is not working on my physical server. It compiled fine and all but each time i try to run it with --server, i'm faced with Can't open display..... I'm definitely not a compiling guru but i have had hands on work here and there in regards to these things but now this is becoming hit or miss and all over the place too me... What can i do to have this Eden headless running, atleast till Frodo Stable release? Thanks
(2012-10-08, 17:55)Odon Wrote:

This Laugh

Any chance you can create a script for us that are still confused and frustrated? Wink
(2012-10-15, 19:00)Bootlegninja Wrote:

This Laugh

Any chance you can create a script for us that are still confused and frustrated? Wink

Dude, as discussed previously, just follow the steps in post #88
And if it worked for me, I'd do it again.

I know enough in linux to get by on somethings. Others, I am complete inept on. This being one of them. Some of the instructions are do not specify enough detail on what to do to a working solution for me.

On top of that I use openmediavault as my NAS software on a Debian Squeeze OS. Some of this stuff breaks that. Getting support for that software is next to impossible as I've that on other issues for that previously. I get a little tired of having to reinstall my OS every time something goes horribly wrong. So you now see where I come from. Smile

This Laugh

Sorry, no way.
I don't want to manage a script for this. I am not a Linux expert, and so i don't want to be responsible of side effets on systems I don't know.
Headless xbmc is an advanced feature, and all informations are here.
(2012-10-16, 10:45)Odon Wrote:
(2012-10-08, 17:55)Odon Wrote: This Laugh

Sorry, no way.
I don't want to manage a script for this. I am not a Linux expert, and so i don't want to be responsible of side effets on systems I don't know.
Headless xbmc is an advanced feature, and all informations are here.

Agreed, if you can't follow the steps (or build you own script) from my post (#88) then this is probably not for you...
Just to make sure i get this right.... this is only for eden+1 (aka frodo) clients and server right? it won't work with eden clients...
(2012-10-16, 14:26)ZIOLele Wrote: Just to make sure i get this right.... this is only for eden+1 (aka frodo) clients and server right? it won't work with eden clients...

That's right...
So I tried to get this running on my Synology 1511+ which uses an Intel Atom processor. Most the packages required to do the build do not appear to be available for the Synology base Linux. May try a Debian chroot later. I instead built on my Ubuntu and tested it worked just fine there. Copied it all over to my Synology and tried to fire it up. It appears at this time the difference is the support (or lack there of) of the new Linux ABI:

<code>DiskStation> XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc ./xbmcVideoLibraryScan
./xbmcVideoLibraryScan: error while loading shared libraries: /lib64/libxbmc.so: ELF file OS ABI invalid
</code>

Anyone think of a way around this that is eluding me at the moment?

While it seams no one is offering much support and the one's that do are assuming we all have the same versions or server Distro's. Now... To follow on with my last post, I ended up using the compiled binary from the virtual server, But seriously, that was just a waste off time... Just because it references a DB with number 60 and not 64 like the other xbmc htpc's (so the server DB will never be in sync with the clients). Maybe its just too much too ask for, to have this setup too be fluid and straight forward... Will this ever be mainlined? IF so, will there be considerations in disregarding audio, dvd, airplay, lirc etc. packages/dependencies so compiling will be much easier? So far this is just too painful too get working, and cluttering the server with much unneeded dependencies seems like a real waist off time and space and causes more problems than its worth. While I do wish too see how the shared lib goes, unfortunately eden versions don't have that option, also the lib still requires alot too just compile as would the standard binary.... Would anyone wish too enlighten us on the future with this feature? and what we are expected to achieve in the end?
Also it would be good if Eden was still considered attention, seeing Frodo's official release wont be out for a long time..
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9