7.1 surround through TOS-link
Hi there,
I might be a bit lazy here but is it enough for me to buy a 8 channel USB to optical sound card, and then just connect the optical cable to my receiver to get found surround? The part I'm worried about is the pc side. The receiver only has optical and hdmi inputs. So Does anyone know what is needed or if it is possible at all?

Best regards tuxen
Optical can only carry 2.0 pcm or 5.1 AC3/DTS.

By far your best option is to buy a video card which supports HDMI audio and DTS-MA/TrueHD and use HDMI. Then you'll get those formats plus up to 7.1 audio at 192khz.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks a lot for the answer. I was surfing around looking and today on the frontpage of XBMC.org I found out the solution is currently enabled in the nightlies. Weird when things click that that. Anyway I'm happy and is going to try it..
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
7.1 surround through TOS-link0