Linux HTML Entities being used such as &
Smart quotes, ampersands, etc are being scraped from IMDB and replaced with HTML entities. I had recently had to reinstall XBMC after the upgrade. All the movies are the same and are scraping from the same place, but now I have these HTML entities to deal with.

I don't mind doing a find and replace if there's a place where I can see all the text for all the descriptions in one place to do a replace all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Now XWMM won't save changes I make to "sort title" if there is an ampersand in it, even if it's part of the HTML entity (&)
The problem is the debian maintainers have not backported the fixes required for system tinyxml to operate correctly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm having this exact problem with ubuntu 12.04. I assume when there's a patch it will show up in the 'update' notifier? I'm surprised there aren't a ton of other people having this problem... or is everyone else using theMovieDB instead of imdb?
(2012-05-25, 07:01)jmarshall Wrote: The problem is the debian maintainers have not backported the fixes required for system tinyxml to operate correctly.

So, does this mean we have to wait for an update?
Either that or build yourself, yes.

There may be a direct route for you to (patiently) prod the appropriate maintainers of the debian package perhaps?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

--- or use Eden from the Team-XBMC repo.
(2012-05-26, 06:58)olympia Wrote: --- or use Eden from the Team-XBMC repo.

I'd like to be VERY clear on this, since I have made assumptions in the past and managed to royally mess things up, and I'm not that great with Linux to begin with. So, assuming that I have a standard install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I have installed XBMC from their repository (which, I understand from this thread, is not kept up-to-date with the latest backports), I should be able to do the following from a command prompt:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update

And it will upgrade XBMC using the version from the team-xbmc repository, correct?

One reason I'm a bit hesitant is because I tried looking in the repository using a web browser and when I got to here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...6/Packages

It APPEARS that the only package available for precise is xbmc-ppa-keyring. If I change the Ubuntu version to oneric, so that I wind up here:

Then I see the xbmc package and several others. So either the version of XBMC for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise isn't yet in the team-xbmc repository, or I just don't understand how the repositories work! That's why I wanted to ask if simply adding the repository in the way I mentioned above would even work in Ubuntu 12.04. I really don't want to screw anything up!
(2012-05-30, 03:03)xbmcliveuser Wrote: One reason I'm a bit hesitant is because I tried looking in the repository using a web browser and when I got to here:

It APPEARS that the only package available for precise is xbmc-ppa-keyring.

That's what I was seeing and I couldn't figure out if I was doing it wrong or what. After spending a lot of time learning about how to pin packages in apt I realized that there really isn't anything there, gave up on the team-xbmc PPA and used this one instead:

https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewald...bmc-stable

It would be nice if this was documented somewhere other than many pages deep in the sticky installation thread. Even then, the post doesn't say "HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS WHERE YOU GET XBMC NOW BECAUSE TEAM-XBMC REPO IS BORKED!" it says something like "You can use my PPA if you wanna fix [some very specific issue that nobody has anymore because the post is talking about an Eden beta or something]".

Anyway, the first thing you want to do is remove xbmc and xbmc-bin packages with your package manager of choice (you won't lose anything since this doesn't touch your ~/.xbmc/ directory). Then add the PPA I linked above and reinstall both packages.

This fixes the HTML entities bug as well as the ISO file playback bug that the Ubuntu install of XBMC has.
Installing XBMC from the Nathan Rennie-Waldock PPA solved this problem for me too, as well as a NVIDIA/Refresh Rate/Xrandr issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/995871

Seems this compilation of XBMC is the way to go for Precise instead of the default Ubuntu one.
I am a little confused because the date on the xbmc from Nathan Rennie-Waldock PPA is 3-24-2012. But the date in the system info page on the version of xbmc from the official Ubuntu Repo is 4-24-2012. So do these dates not mean anything or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance,

UbuntuUser
The Ubuntu Repo is slightly different, as mentioned in this thread, so it was built on another date. The 3-24-2012 one is going to give you more features, though.
(2012-05-30, 04:36)Not Sure Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 03:03)xbmcliveuser Wrote: One reason I'm a bit hesitant is because I tried looking in the repository using a web browser and when I got to here:

It APPEARS that the only package available for precise is xbmc-ppa-keyring.

That's what I was seeing and I couldn't figure out if I was doing it wrong or what. After spending a lot of time learning about how to pin packages in apt I realized that there really isn't anything there, gave up on the team-xbmc PPA and used this one instead:

https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewald...bmc-stable

It would be nice if this was documented somewhere other than many pages deep in the sticky installation thread. Even then, the post doesn't say "HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS WHERE YOU GET XBMC NOW BECAUSE TEAM-XBMC REPO IS BORKED!" it says something like "You can use my PPA if you wanna fix [some very specific issue that nobody has anymore because the post is talking about an Eden beta or something]".

Anyway, the first thing you want to do is remove xbmc and xbmc-bin packages with your package manager of choice (you won't lose anything since this doesn't touch your ~/.xbmc/ directory). Then add the PPA I linked above and reinstall both packages.

This fixes the HTML entities bug as well as the ISO file playback bug that the Ubuntu install of XBMC has.
I confirm this too.Smile Stumbled on the quoted post quite by chance. Solved my problems of ISO and VIDEO_TS.IFO playback.

Thumbs Up 
I installed from the Nathan Rennie-Waldock PPA a couple of days ago, and everything seems to be working great now. I first used Synaptic to uninstall xbmc and xbmc-bin, then did:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-stable
sudo apt-get update

And then used Synaptic to reinstall xbmc and xbmc-bin. Thanks for the information on the Nathan Rennie-Waldock PPA!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTML Entities being used such as &0