Linux 1st Gen Intel HD Graphics (VAAPI) /w Eden
Hi Guys,

THE BACKGROUND...

First up, apologies if I am covering over old ground. Please direct me to appropriate threads that answer these questions, and that are still relevant, but as the platform has moved on in Eden, etc, I don't know the status of the slightly older hardware (possibly) involved here.

So, I want a budget unit, until I can upgrade components. I can then recycle the existing large PC in the lounge (A.K.A. fails WAF!) for other purposes.

The aim here is to try to allow for future upgrades easily, so chosen Mobo socket that can handle the last Pentium generation with "Intel HD Graphics" (1st gen) and should also work with the latest 3rd gen Intel Core processors. Primary concern is flawless HD decoding from hardware acceleration, second is decent enough performance for the higher skins (I currently run Aeon Nox) which is more CPU based.

My previous XBMC platforms have been specifically nVidia based, to take advantage of the VDPAU technology. With past experience, as well as the improvements, this has been the simpler method in the Linux world. My questions relate to Intel HD Graphics / VAAPI.

THE QUESTION...

The integrated graphics I have initially selected are the original Intel HD Graphics. Do they still stand up to the task? If not, what is the minimum / recommended spec for Eden?

I will be running this under Linux, most likely Ubuntu or possibly Debian (as increasingly disliking recent Ubuntu distros)

Failing this, what would be a recommended nVidia setup with mini ITX board, so it fits the case I desire?

Initial component ideas, in order of importance.

Case
Streacom FC8
Reason: Fanless. WAF approved. Small. Etc. If the case is nice and can contain future Mobo's and CPU's, it doesn't need replacing. It does however dictate which motherboards are certified to fit inside and work (mini ITX), according to the manufacturer.

Motherboard
ASUS P8H67-I
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3
Reason: Socket 1155, capable of handling all processors from last Pentium's to latest 3rd gen Core's. Also has the HDMI output and HD Audio options.

Processor
Initial: Pentium GT620
Reason: Cheap. Runs 1st gen Intel HD Graphics, so should be HW Acceleration capable.
Future: Simply replace the processor to a i3 2125 or 2105 (Intel HD Graphics 3000) when the budget can be stretched, and rebuild the O/S. But will fit into the existing Motherboard

Other components - not critical. Any combo can be used
HDD / RAM / DVD or BluRay drive / IR Reciever

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st Gen Intel HD Graphics (VAAPI) /w Eden0