• 11(current)
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!
Ok so i have everything setup and working with my Asrock H67M-ITX with the Asrock smart remote but the only thing i couldnt do was shutdown the pc with the remote, it would only go into sleep mode. Under the power options, choose what the power buttons do i only had the sleep option for the sleep button and i wanted this to shutdown instead. I found this regedit on the net...

Problem:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Change when the computer sleeps\Change advanced power settings\Power buttons and lid\Sleep button action\Setting:

don't have the "Shut Down" option.

Possible solution:
Run: Regedit
Open: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings
Then, click on every folder until you find one folder that contains the "FriendlyName": @%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-251,Power buttons settings
mine is the folder: 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347
when you find it, open it and search for the forder that contais the "FriendlyName": @%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-255,sleep button action
mine is the folder: 96996bc0-ad50-47ec-923b-6f41874dd9eb
then, open the forlder: DefaultPowerSchemeValues
you will find 3 folders. For each folder you will have 3 "files". You need to change the value of the files (in every one of the 3 folders):
AcSettingIndex: to 3 (it is by default to 1)
DcSettingIndex: to 3 (it is by default to 1)
Then, you go back to the Control Panel:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Change when the computer sleeps\
and click on: Restore default settings for this plan and its done!!

Hope this of use to others.
very cool, thanks for sharing

at least I was on the right track about the sleep button action thing ;-) even though I didn't realize shut down was not a viable option in there
Thanks unleash, great info.
Picked up this remote:
Rosewill
I'm having a ton or problems getting it to do anything, let alone turn on or off the HTCP.

I'm running the ASRock A75M motherboard and am not sure if perhaps I'm missing something in the BIOS?
I don't see any options to wake on usb. I've updated the BIOS to the most recent. What else am I missing?
What case do you have? My case has 2 front usb ports and i needed to plug these into the CIR header on the motherboard. Only one of the ports will then work with the remote as the other remains a normal usb port.
I'll give that a go tonight.
So I ran the header from the two front usb ports to the CIR on the board.
I lose USB ability to one of the ports now, which I assume was supposed to happen. The IR receiver isn't picked up by the board though. I couldn't even use the controller to mute or access xbmc.
When I put the IR receiver in another port on the back of the HTPC, it works as it should. I can mute the system. I can startup XBMC. I can shut the computer down.
I just can't start it up from a cold start.

I tried to install the CIR driver from the ASRock website, but it says no receiver is available and the install stops.

Any suggestions?

FWIW... I read through this thread again. It appears that I should reconfig the front panel usb headers BACK to the way they were.
Take them off the CIR header and plug them back into the USB 2.0 sockets.
I still don't see where people are enabling the keyboard for power on.

I read this post by JoeBar and can't find "turn on via USB keyboard / remote" anywhere in the BIOS. Where am I missing itHuh?

(2012-06-08, 00:02)JoeBar Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 21:02)KraziJoe Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 20:57)JoeBar Wrote: I'm currently just plugged into USB, and haven't had luck yet -- I'll try the CIR header tonight..

To complicate it, I'm using a harmony one with the MCE keyboard device added -- I did try the power (looks like it's probably actually sleep) button on the Rosewill remote as well, but that didn't work.

I was under the impression you needed to have that CIR header active in order to power that USB port so you could turn it on from an off state.

I was too but beer said it worked in one of the rear usb ports (which suggests cir not necessary). I'll report back later with my results!

...ok results:

I'm not sure exactly what did it, but it seems to be working now.. It's in a front port (both seem to work, I didn't bother trying any on the back), and the USB header is just plugged into the regular USB pins closest to the PCI slot -- no CIR necessary (although I had tried it in there during my troubleshooting).

Bios has only "turn on via USB keyboard / remote" enabled (it was on all along). Turn on via PS2 keyboard, and turn on via mouse are both off.

Oddly enough, it seems my MII mini RF keyboard no longer turns the PC on from off state (go figure).

The sleep button on the Rosewill will turn it on -- now I have to figure out how to get my harmony to send that signal!

Edit 2: Learned the power signal on my harmony one -- works! Now I just gotta tweak the activity and I'm all set...

Thx again Beer for doin the legwork and making a great find! (btw my original psu is still holding upSmile)
@_RT_

Configuration should be found here.

Bios -> Advanced -> ACPI Configuration -> USB Keyboard/Remote Power ON

As per the users manual (page 48)
(2012-07-31, 00:17)kookie Wrote: @_RT_

Sorry for the late post... been busy... yes this is it.... the dongle has to be plugged in into any usb 2.0 port and it work. It will not work on the USB 3.0 ports.... cheers.
(2012-07-31, 12:58)Beer40oz Wrote:

Sorry for the late post... been busy... yes this is it.... the dongle has to be plugged in into any usb 2.0 port and it work. It will not work on the USB 3.0 ports.... cheers.

Tried a third keyboard and I finally saw the option in the BIOS. Not sure, but I don't think it appeared with the other keyboards I was using.
First was an old one with the green plug.
Second was a wireless one.
Third one was usb and I noticed it that time.

Still haven't been able to get the remote working, but at least I can turn the HTPC on with the keyboard.

The saga continues.
(2012-07-31, 14:19)_RT_ Wrote:
(2012-07-31, 12:58)Beer40oz Wrote:

Tried a third keyboard and I finally saw the option in the BIOS. Not sure, but I don't think it appeared with the other keyboards I was using.
First was an old one with the green plug.
Second was a wireless one.
Third one was usb and I noticed it that time.

Still haven't been able to get the remote working, but at least I can turn the HTPC on with the keyboard.

The saga continues.

This has been my problem. It does everything else fine but just can't turn it on from an off state or asleep or hibernation state.
(2012-07-31, 14:41)KraziJoe Wrote: This has been my problem. It does everything else fine but just can't turn it on from an off state or asleep or hibernation state.

Have you found the option in the BIOS?
If not, what keyboard are you using?
(2012-07-31, 17:06)_RT_ Wrote:
(2012-07-31, 14:41)KraziJoe Wrote: This has been my problem. It does everything else fine but just can't turn it on from an off state or asleep or hibernation state.

Have you found the option in the BIOS?
If not, what keyboard are you using?

a wireless keyboard. Logitech one...Can't remember the model
If you have confirmed that the motherboard has the ability to accomplish this goal, I'd suggest trying to borrow a usb keyboard.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I went through my BIOS 50+ times looking for the option and I don't believe it appeared until I used a keyboard from work.
(2012-07-31, 17:36)_RT_ Wrote: If you have confirmed that the motherboard has the ability to accomplish this goal, I'd suggest trying to borrow a usb keyboard.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I went through my BIOS 50+ times looking for the option and I don't believe it appeared until I used a keyboard from work.

Oh, I mean my remote cannot do that, the Keyboard wakes it up all the time.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!4