ios 5.1.1 update pros and cons
I'm still on 4.x ios and I was thinking of to update or not to update ....

can you guys give us the pros and cons of ios 5.1.1 ?
should we update ?
what do we get from 5.1.1 ?
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

You would loose ability to autostart XBMC, but you get some new iOS features. I bet you can find list of new features all around the internet. Accually I just updated one of my ATV2's by mistake I'm not happy with it 'cos ability to autostart XBMC was a killing feature for me.
ios 5 sucks more resources. If all you use it for is XBMC i highly recommend to never upgrade.
(2012-06-03, 00:09)onizuka Wrote: ios 5 sucks more resources. If all you use it for is XBMC i highly recommend to never upgrade.
100% agreed with you but its too late !!!
I update to 5 last night Sad
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

Well, Just upgraded from 4.1 to 5.1.1 and Eden Take 3...

And its a god send Smile

performance is much better than I was used to, and I *really* needed access to all the new ATV features, and XBMC too.

Now, if an ATV3 untethered JB could only be made... then I would pick up an ATV3 in a heart beat!
Is the better performance a common thing? I have no reason to upgrade to ios 5, but if it makes xbmc work smoother, then I'm all in...
(2012-06-07, 19:18)chibwack Wrote: Is the better performance a common thing? I have no reason to upgrade to ios 5, but if it makes xbmc work smoother, then I'm all in...
For my installation, upgrading to IOS 5.0.2 (via Seasonpass) was seamless, and everything is as it was before. I have the official Eden 11.0, with Icefilms, FastpassTV, iPlayer, TVCatchup, 1Channel, NaviX plus local movies and TV shows. I no longer get the guaranteed crash when selecting a film/show from a sleeping network drive, and finally, Airplay runs like Honey Badger, and don't give a sh*t - it just works what ever is playing, wherever - even after a crash, it is the first thing to get going again - about 3-5 seconds...
As for XBMC performance - certainly no worse than before. Video playback does appear better - more fluid in my mind - and looking at codec info, the CPU appears to be toiling less and with fewer render errors with MPEG-4s and other nasties. I still get crashes from time to time - but these I reckon are wee rough edges inherent with XBMC at the mo (not to mention the rather finite extent of the AVT2..)
I also upgraded to 5.1.1 and was thinking it was taking up more memory. I cleared the movie folders as per other instructions on this site
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...e.2Fmemory

But they seem to fill up quicker than before (4.4)

I am wondering if it also has to do with me adding a few more plug ins than I had before. I restored my user settings from previous installations, but I no longer use some of the plug ins (I'm looking at you, Icefilms) Maybe there is still data and settings left over from those plug ins even if I have uninstalled them via the XBMC settings?

Either way, I think there are some things that run alot smoother on iOS 5 w/ XBMC (loading files, starting streams, buffering)

One thing I don't like is that I have to select XBMC from the main menu (icon) then I have to select it AGAIN like in a drop down.....What is that all about? 2 clicks to do one thing? Am I missing something?
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
I have my SHSH blobs for both my ATV 2's. I might just give it a try because I can always go back.

Thoughts?
(2012-06-11, 23:56)fritzboyle Wrote: One thing I don't like is that I have to select XBMC from the main menu (icon) then I have to select it AGAIN like in a drop down.....What is that all about? 2 clicks to do one thing? Am I missing something?

I have answered that one multiple times now - please search the forum. In a nutshell - no we can't change that - and if you look closer its the same on all other atv2 apps too (no look again - its the same - NO REALLY look again - its the same for all!).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-06-12, 11:31)Memphiz Wrote:
(2012-06-11, 23:56)fritzboyle Wrote: One thing I don't like is that I have to select XBMC from the main menu (icon) then I have to select it AGAIN like in a drop down.....What is that all about? 2 clicks to do one thing? Am I missing something?

I have answered that one multiple times now - please search the forum. In a nutshell - no we can't change that - and if you look closer its the same on all other atv2 apps too (no look again - its the same - NO REALLY look again - its the same for all!).

I can remember a threat where you said that it was impossible to boot with xbmc, some weekslater i was possible ;-)
just to say never say never ;-)

Netflix doesn't do that, select Netflix and it goes straight in.
Unless you are including the internal menu inside Netflix?
(2012-06-12, 15:37)HairyJohn Wrote:

Netflix doesn't do that, select Netflix and it goes straight in.
Unless you are including the internal menu inside Netflix?

I swear, I will ban the next person who bitches about this. If it's so easy to fix then show us.
Pardon? I wasn't bitching and never said I could fix it.
Memphiz said that all other atv2 apps do the same, I said Netflix doesn't unless he/she is referring to the internal Netflix selection menu.
Yes i do. There is no app without a submenu. And there was never an app without submenu on iOS 4.3 either.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ios 5.1.1 update pros and cons 0