xbmcbuntu server not displayed on bravia
Hi all,

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX703, which unfortunately has limited video support, so I needed something else to transcode unsupported formats.

I have Serviio on my Synology, but I'm not completely happy with it, so today I looked at xbmc.
I installed xbmcbuntu 11 on a box today but my Bravia doesn't pick up the xbmc server.

The Bravia does pick up my Synology, and the Synology running Serviio picks up the xbmc.
Does anyone have any pointers on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
I believe sony's require VOB files...personally...what I do is use Vuze to auto detect the proper file format for the device in question...and It will convert and transcode the file for you...vuze works with Sony players too. or you could just let Vuze convert the file and then let your NAS/network stream the content.
Thanks digitaltomj.

The bravia plays a range of formats, though not exactly extensive. The issue is that the tv is not even displaying the xbmc server under 'video' on the crossbar menu. The synology media server appears as does the serviio media server under the crossbar.

I would stick with serviio, but it seems very jerky/stuttery and the synology cpu ramps up to 100%. It's almost like there is a buffering issue...

I'll take a look at vuze anyway. Thanks for the tip.
Just wondering, what type of network setup do you have...is it wireless or wired? If it is wired, what type of cable are you using? I know my sony bluray player comes with onboard wifi...but in order for me to get a 1080p video without buffering or playback issues, I use cat 7 cables and a set of 1Gbps powerline ethernet converters to go from my NAS (on the 1st floor of my house) to my bedroom (on the third floor of my house) and I may say it is perhaps the best connection affordable to consumers in america today...however there may be more options I am unaware of.

Edit: There seems to be something called Twinaxial which is capable of 10 Gbps transfer speeds...however, the price is pretty high, altho not as bad as I might have guessed...a 16ft cable cost about $130...and the pci-e card adapter will run about $600...however this is not the best option for a big house, and I doubt will ever be compatible with your bravia...nonetheless, it is quite noteworthy.
I have a wired network through out the house (Sony advertised the Bravia as being wireless when in reality it wasn't (out of the box), they wanted another £65 for a dongle compatible with the Bravia - a rip-off (I will NOT be buying Sony ever again) so I kept it wired) over powerlines (with the obvious wireless options for mobile devices). I've never had any issues (crosses fingers) with bandwidth internally (or externally from my ISP) as yet.

I very much doubt I have a bandwidth issue; the Serviio issue is undoubtedly linked to the fact the CPU is maxing out when playing content rather than internal network bandwidth.

I have no idea why the xbmc server is not being displayed in the bravia server list. This is my current issue.

I am a complete newbie with xbmc, so if you have any tips or even a checklist I can go through to ensure everything on the xbmc side of things is configured correctly, I'd appreciate it.
I guess you would need to set up a DLNA/UPnP to stream your videos...since you are streaming the file directly to your TV and not to something like a pc or htpc and there is no real OS...I do not have much experience configuring DLNA/UPnP with xbmc...however, this might help

The best option really is to share your library over your network/NAS to a htpc or atv, install xbmcbuntu or another OS with xbmc installed on it, and then plug that device into your tv via an hdmi...this way you do not need to worry about transcoding, converting, or streaming...and you would get all the benefits of having an xbmc gui on your tv (which you will not get with a DLNA/UPnP stream)...you can get a low end htpc on the cheap, especially if you happen to have some old computer parts lying around...or better yet...an old computer
I do not believe this is a bandwidth issue.
The TV is DLNA Certified, and I have several other sources working.

Windows Media Centre, works out of the box.
Synology Media Server, works out of the box.
Serviio, works out of the box.
XBMC does not appear on the list of found servers on the TV. XBMCBuntu is running on a PC and on an OS.

The Bravia can see a host of other DLNA servers, it cannot see the XBMC server.

Can anyone send me a checklist to go through to ensure I have the XBMCBuntu installation correctly configured?

did you look at the wiki link i posted? it should help you set a DLNA/UPnP stream with xbmc...this is not something that is just plug and play..I have never done it myself so I cant really help beyond sharing the link.

Edit...This is the step by step section of that page I posted above...It may not work with xbmcbuntu...I do not know for sure as it appears to be a bit outdated.
Found a similar thread with no resolution.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57491

Shame, I'd have liked to have used XBMC.

There are a few suggestions of other packages that will work. Time to recycle my xbmcbuntu box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu server not displayed on bravia0