Linux [Solved] Hopefully simploe LIRC problem - drivers not loaded perhaps?
Update - Well shoot, thought I put this in the Linux forum, wasn't paying enough attention. Anyways, found out this device isn't supported by lirc yet, but the source can be patched to add it.

Here's the situation, I have two separate systems, both have a Rosewill MCE remote receiver on them from newegg. One works, one doesn't.

Working system running Ubuntu 12.04:
Relevant output from lsmod
Code:
ir_mce_kbd_decoder     12777  0
snd_seq_midi           13324  0
ir_sony_decoder        12510  0
ir_jvc_decoder         12507  0
snd_rawmidi            30748  1 snd_seq_midi
ir_rc6_decoder         12507  0
snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
ir_rc5_decoder         12507  0
ir_nec_decoder         12507  0
hid_logitech           26520  0
usbhid                 47199  1 hid_logitech
hid                    99559  2 hid_logitech,usbhid
rc_rc6_mce             12502  0
mceusb                 18143  0
joydev                 17693  0
rc_core                26412  10 ir_lirc_codec,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,mceusb
Output from lsusb
Code:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 147a:e017 Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. eHome Infrared Receiver

Non-working system running XBMCBuntu 11.10:
Relevant output from lsmod
Code:
ir_lirc_codec          12770  0
ir_sony_decoder        12493  0
ir_jvc_decoder         12490  0
ir_rc6_decoder         12490  0
ir_rc5_decoder         12490  0
ir_nec_decoder         12490  0
mceusb                 17602  0
rc_core                25797  7 ir_lirc_codec,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,mceusb
lirc_dev               18700  1 ir_lirc_codec
Output from lusub
Code:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 147a:e042 Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc.

So the devices show up slightly different in lsusb, they are different revisions, that may mean nothing. But the module listings are quite different. There's definitely more stuff, specifically something related to rc6, on the working system.

At the start irw returned an error, I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure lirc' and selected MCE and now IRW runs but shows no output from key presses, whereas any of the remotes I tried show responses on the working system. Also ir-keytable returns "Couldn't find any node at /sys/class/rc/rc*." on the broken system, but valid output on the working system. All the configuration files are nearly identical between the two. I can't figure out where the modules are loaded or how that should be handled differently.

I've swapped receivers and found that the trouble goes with the new receiver. So I put it on a Windows system, it installed right off without a hitch and immediately controlled MediaCenter. So it works. The manual indicates that RC6, QP and MCIR keyboard protocols are supported. This leads me to believe that LIRC is just not picking up this receiver quite right.

There's an error when starting the lirc service, although it does start. It can't find /sys/calss/rc/*/ and I've also noticed that there is no /dev/lirc0 like there should be.

Are there other modules I could try? I attempted to change REMOTE_MODULES in hardware.conf. It's set to "lirc_dev mceusb". I changed mceusb to vista_mce and mceusb2. Both cause lirc to fail completely to start.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Hopefully simploe LIRC problem - drivers not loaded perhaps?0