Flac/Mp3 Library Merging
Hey people,
After getting some excellent help from the peeps who hang out in the hardware forum, I have started to turn my attention to the software package that is XBMC. In this case, I'm looking for some help with my music collection.

I'm wondering if anyone has written any scripts, or if there is a tool, or if it exists in the default, whereby I can have my FLAC library and MP3 library merged so that any instance of FLAC replaces any duplicate instance of mp3. I have looked into this matter independent of XBMC for the past few months and it looks like i'm resigned to have to come up with something myself to do this.

Though I'm not sure this will matter, my HTPC will be a windows based i7 and my data will be stored on a Netgear Ultra2 2x2TB NAS.

In the event that this would be better served in the Supplemental Tools section of the forum, please let me know.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
I dont think xbmc will prefer one file format over the other...i could be wrong...but im pretty sure if you tell XBMC to look for music in a specific folder...it will find it and put it in your library...i know my music library has both mp3s and flac in it...I think you would be better off going thru your music files in explorer, group by type, and any that are duplicates with versions of both flac and mp3s you can then either delete or move the unwanted duplicates from the folder and into another.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of - not such a big deal if you only have a few thousands songs ... but kind of a pain if you have roughly 1/2 a terabyte!

Basically, I think i'm going to have to write a program that compares directory structure and ID3 tags that actually goes through and deletes the mp3 off the HDD. Not looking forward to it :-(

The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
I bet there is some third party software out there that will help out...at the very least you can do a dir print just to see which files are redundant...give me some time to look and I might find something.
Once scanned into XBMC you could then check for duplicates using a few sql commands on the database.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I found 2 programs that may be of use to you...FAR: Find & Replace...and Bulk File Manager...bulk file manager looks more promising...but im not sure if it looks for duplicates of different formats.
(2012-06-03, 04:02)jmarshall Wrote: Once scanned into XBMC you could then check for duplicates using a few sql commands on the database.

Not knowing anything about what's happened with XBMC development (since last time i used it was in 05 and on my gen 1 xbox), can i tell it to expunge files from the HDD?

(2012-06-03, 04:06)digitaltomj Wrote: I found 2 programs that may be of use to you...FAR: Find & Replace...and Bulk File Manager...bulk file manager looks more promising...but im not sure if it looks for duplicates of different formats.

Thanks, I've played with FAR but not bulk file manager, i'll look into that. I remember finding one program that did a pretty sweet job of it - but the problem was that sometimes i want to keep multiple copies of the same song ... eg a song that i have on a complication/greatest hits album and on the original album. Much obliged kind sirs!!!
The Mi7 (full specs)
lol, or do what jmarshall said

Edit...this was meant to be posted directly after jmarshall...lol, you guys post quick...but I dont know much about sql so I cant help you there
haha digital - yeah i went to respond and y'all already hoped on that. I had no idea that XBMC involved SQL in any significant manner ... so his suggestion *might* be sufficent. Still, I appreciate your links as they might work too!!!!

*fixed for dumbassery*
The Mi7 (full specs)
btw, did you post in the mediamonkey forum? cause I found a post like yours in there while searching for you, lol
This has nothing to do with mysql.

My point was simply that once everything is in an sql database, you can do queries such as:

select * from song where strFileName like '%.flac';

From there, you could join two queries together (one for mp3, one for flac, joined on the tracknumber, albumid for example) and get all duplicates.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-06-03, 04:24)digitaltomj Wrote: btw, did you post in the mediamonkey forum? cause I found a post like yours in there while searching for you, lol

I did not search the mediamonkey forum, i use WinAmp so i spent some time in there and then i looked independent of that on google and bing. Thanks for the suggestion YET AGAIN!!! ;-)

(2012-06-03, 04:34)jmarshall Wrote: This has nothing to do with mysql.

My point was simply that once everything is in an sql database, you can do queries such as:

select * from song where strFileName like '%.flac';

From there, you could join two queries together (one for mp3, one for flac, joined on the tracknumber, albumid for example) and get all duplicates.

In the words of the great Zach Galifianakakakakakakakakas, I am a ru-tard. Yes sql is what i meant, sorry - I just had a temporary lapse there. ;-)
The Mi7 (full specs)
(2012-06-03, 05:07)helpermonkey Wrote:
(2012-06-03, 04:24)digitaltomj Wrote: btw, did you post in the mediamonkey forum? cause I found a post like yours in there while searching for you, lol

I did not search the mediamonkey forum, i use WinAmp so i spent some time in there and then i looked independent of that on google and bing. Thanks for the suggestion YET AGAIN!!! ;-)

Here is that mediamonkey forum post

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flac/Mp3 Library Merging0