Something hit me tonight, and I need to share something.
I am a user of both Tor and Torbutten. I took some updates on ubuntu that led me to a thread on the tor website that explained why some features were disabled. These were posts that were months old, but only recently got to me because of the slower nature of updates on my chosen OS.

The reason I came to this site to disccus it, was because of the comments of outrage I saw there. I found myself disgusted at the entitlement some felt, and the level of outrage towards the open source developers. I realized at that moment, that I myself have taken for granted all the work that open source developers do for me. While I have never myself been hatefull to anyone who codes for me, I have come to expect that great free software will be available to me.

While I no longer use XBMC, I used to use it heavily. I used it in combination of giga news, SABNZB+ and also some software called media rover a few years ago. Because of my current internet situation not being fast enough to download the content I want, I have had to make choices to use other means to get the content I crave. I have a 6tb media server sitting and collecting dust because the internet where I live is on par with a third world nation. Living in a comcast area is brutal....

I have made it a point because of the hatred and entitlement attidue I saw in that thread there, to revist sites of all the wonderfull open source software I have used, to thank the developers of the software.

I am a college grad, and was a comp sci major. I worked as a network admin for 13 years before I was fortunate enough to be able to retire early. I hated programing classes in college, they were very difficult for me. I always found a way to miss a colen or something trivial and have it take me hours to find the error before it would compile. Back in 96, compilers did not spit out as much info as to where it went wrong as they do today, it was a bitch to find bugs.

I have not for personal use, used paid or closed source software since 1996. I have also not thanked the people who write this software, and give up likely most of thier social lives to do so.

I sincerly want to thank everyone who wrote even a single line of code to help XBMC. The software made my life great for 2-3 years. I really mean it. You guys and gals made something great that both my Wife and I miss!!! It's been 2 years since I used it, I can only imagine how awsome it is now!!!

I know this is not an on topic discussion, but I hope it is allowed to stay.
two words, usenet and ssh...
(2012-06-03, 15:28)davilla Wrote: two words, usenet and ssh...

He did use them, oh and "usenet and ssh" is 3 words Smile
Quote:I used it in combination of giga news, SABNZB+ and also some software called media rover a few years ago
So I hear I can run xbmc off my old commodore 64.

Pretty cool......pretty really cool
How does usenet relate to ssh?
if you connect to usenet servers using ssh, your isp has no idea what you're downloading

The OP mentioned using TOR, so he obviously cares about his privacy. With usenet and SSH, poeple in between cannot snoop
I think you mean SSL...
(2012-07-22, 03:16)cosmicr Wrote: I think you mean SSL...

Yeah, you know what I mean Wink
I wonder how large the keys these usenet server are using are....?
I wonder where everyone is planning to get their nzb files now that newzbin and nzbmatrix are both gone and a lot of the others are invite-only sites. It really sucks that USENET is showing up on the radar.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Something hit me tonight, and I need to share something.1