Linux Movie FanArt
I'm using the Transparency! skin on both of my machines that run XBMC. I recently set up a Zotac HTPC and copied all my media from my server to an external 3TB, to my dismay all of my FanArt from my server doesn't display on the Zotac. After trying to use the Artwork Downloader plugin and failing multiple times I just read that each video has to be in it's own folder, which I tested by creating a folder for 300 which was in the root of my movies directory. FanArt for it was added as soon as I updated the library.

The problem is that I have about 100+ movies that don't have their own folder and it would be very time consuming to do so. Is there a way I can copy the FanArt from my server to the Zotac box so I don't have to waste an hour or two creating folders and moving files?
One way or another you'll have to do some manual manipulation. It's kinda easy to throw all your videos in one directory and let XBMC make sense of it all. But in the end, you'll have to deal with issues like this. Exporting your library as single files, saves a copy of your fanart & thumbnails along with your media ..nfo along side the target video (in a folder or outside) then it would be a simple matter of copying the server fanart to your new location (drag & drop), a local rescrape on the Zolac would be needed to introduce the new graphics to your library.

This is an opportunity to straighten out your library, I'd suggest using theRenamer, it's a drag & drop solution, just drag your video into the window... and it not only renames properly (with date) but puts it into a folder with the same name... scraping becomes a breeze after that.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try!
well, i have all of my media in one folder...with all of the fanarts, thumbnails, even trailers named properly...and my muilti OS NAS works perfectly...just use the video library export into separate files option in the settings...make sure to export all you can and overwrite the old files...also make sure you set your movie source so that each movie is not in a separate folder if you try to do it my way.

Also, I notice a lot of ppl suggest theRenamer...but it have never worked properly for me...try Flex Renamer it is a bit more involved but it allows you to do pretty much anything when it comes to batch file processing.
I think I'll try it your way instead, because I'd like to have everything in one folder. I have an external 3TB and an internal 60GB SSD which I run XBMC off of, how could I place all the fanart on the SSD and have XBMC know it's there? Would it be the same process?
I dont think you would want to put any media on your ssd...your ssd should be reserved only for OS and often used programs and 60 gigs isnt much to play with...I have triple that in music alone...the best option is to keep it on the external hdd. or if you are worried about file writing/reading speeds and happen have a spare slot for a 3.5in hard drive,..you could take your external out of its casing, and plug it in into to your motherboard with a sata cable...or get a usb 3.0 external enclosure and pci card
60GB is definitely enough, as of right now OpenELEC and XBMCbuntu installed a lot of ROMs on there, and I'm going to add about 20 GB worth of music later I have 15GB used and 37GB available. The reason why I'd like to have the art on the SSD is because the external is a WD Mybook and it keeps going into to low power mode so it spins down after a fun minutes and takes 10-20 seconds to spin up. The Mybook is USB 3 and there's no room in my Zotac AD02 for an extra internal SATA drive. Although keeping fanart on the external would definitely increase the life of the SSD via reduced r/w cycles.
seems like if you just change your power mode settings you wouldn't have any problems...I dont personally know if you can store the jps in a different source and still have xbmc pick it up...however...

The jpgs stored with your movies are just backup...(used for easy importing and NAS sharing) all the art will be stored locally with xbmcbuntu in your userdata folder "$HOME/.xbmc/userdata/" so Im pretty sure that will be on your ssd by default...so you should be able to browse your library with no problems...it would only be when you want to watch content that you'd have to wake your external from sleep.
Ah ok thanks for the info!
Hi,
I had the same problem. All movies in one folder and xbmc wasn't downloading fanarts properly. When I created a separate folder for each movie, everything is perfect.

Here is a batch script for Windows, that will create a folder for all movies and put the movies into that folder accordingly. If you have subtitles, make sure they have the same as the movie. eg movie123.avi and movie123.srt. Run the batch file in the directory you want to get sorted. NEVER run it as administrator (When you run Batch as admin, it'll start in C:\Windows\System32). Make sure the files don't have attribute "Read Only". If they do, it'll create the folders but won't move the files into it.

How to:
1. create text file named "createFolders.txt" with notepad
2. put this code into it:

@echo off
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir /b /a-d') do (
if not "%%~fa"=="%~f0" (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
if exist "%%a" move "%%~na.*" "%%~na"
)
)

3. save and rename the file in command line from .txt to .bat . (ren createFolder.txt createFolder.bat)

Run Batch file in the folder where you have the movies.

I recommend to run it in some test folder. The code is AS IS and I don't take any responsibility. It's working perfect for me Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie FanArt0