Win Local Filenames
Hello Friends:

What's the best way to keep fanart & posters locally stored? Poster.jpg? Fanart.jpg?

I just want it to run as smoothly as possible.

So far, all my movies are in separate folders, with a single MKV movie in each.
The way I do it is

John Carter (2012)
--> John Carter-fanart.jpg
--> John Carter.tbn
--> John Carter.mkv
Thats how I've got it setup on my system and it works 1A
Love XBMC :-)
I just name them in the folders.

Folder.jpg that my own covers
Fanart.jpg
Movie.tbn

Working all the time to and all my movies are in seperate folders. I think with the other way Skipman doing it, it is'nt necessarily to keep movies i seperate folders.
I think the best way...is to store your videos however way you want...don't worry about the pictures and nfos...and then export your video library into separate files...export everything, and overwrite the old files...now you will have all the pictures and nfos in your source folder all in the right location and with the right name...all automatically done for you
(2012-06-05, 00:46)digitaltomj Wrote: I think the best way...is to store your videos however way you want...don't worry about the pictures and nfos...and then export your video library into separate files...export everything, and overwrite the old files...now you will have all the pictures and nfos in your source folder all in the right location and with the right name...all automatically done for you

Watch out doing this. If you have downloaded some particular images which is not currently being used by XBMC an export of the library information may well overwrite the images you have downloaded. Check out the wiki here for further info. XBMC does not automatically use the locally stored images if you already have scanned the media into the library. You need to refresh the item in the library in order for it to read the local image. It then saves this into the thumbnails directory (at least in Eden) and uses the cached thumbnail for display purposes.

Despite XBMC working well with your media stored in any old way it never hurts to have a decent structure to help diagnose issues if they arise. Separate folders for movies seems to be the best way to manage them. The advice by skipman is what the wiki recommends but you may want to refer to the wiki for more details especially for dealing with TVs and music. Check it out here

Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
(2012-06-05, 00:46)digitaltomj Wrote: I think the best way...is to store your videos however way you want...don't worry about the pictures and nfos...and then export your video library into separate files...export everything, and overwrite the old files...now you will have all the pictures and nfos in your source folder all in the right location and with the right name...all automatically done for you

This works Ok if you've got all your Movies setup are are starting with a new library. That is how I started my library ;-)
To fine tune it I used Media Companion to get my own fanart and thumbs, also to edit some info to my needs.
The structure I use makes backups alot easier as you'll never need to scrap again if you need to do a new install or if you are a adding a second or third box :-)

Just my two cents worth Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local Filenames0