computer help! new too, so sorry if this isnt where it goes,
well i have a toshiba satellite c655d-s5200 and the processor is poop. its a AMD C-50 Processor 1.00 GHz, and i was wondering what i should upgrade too, its a laptop, so i will take it some where to put it in. and also have a spending limit, i wouldn't like to go over a 100$. just something that will make this computer better. i have upgraded the ram already, i am running 4gb ram. so please with your all mighty computer abilities find me something! thanks so much!

P.S
It said help here, so thought this was a good spot to put it. if you want me to move please tell me where to put it.
For $100 dollars you could buy an appletv2 that would comfortably run XBMC... or a raspberry pi

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
PS: You can't exactly replace Laptop CPUs as they are usually soldered in.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Laptop hardware upgrade options are very limited. You've already added RAM, so the only thing you can do is perhaps replace the hard drive with an SSD... but you'd end up with much less storage than you have now and any incremental performance improvement may not be worth the cost.

You could try replacing the existing OS (some version of Windows, I presume?) with a light-weight Linux distribution that is less demanding on your existing system resources. Performance improvement may or may not be perceptible, but at least there's no cost involved.

Since you didn't state whether you're planning to run XBMC on this system or if you were just looking for general computing advice, it's difficult to give you a definitive answer on what kind of system to recommend. If you're looking for a sub-$100 dedicated device to just run XBMC, then see Chris!'s suggestion above. If, instead, you are simply looking for ways to have a faster laptop, then you'll have to spend more than $100 and buy a new one... I wouldn't throw any more money on the existing one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
computer help! new too, so sorry if this isnt where it goes,0