Win ---FIRE!!--Getting Lots of Views with no useful suggestions
//******************************************************************************************************
Originally Posted the following Question:

How do I a properly configure an XBMC client to remotely connect
to my home network which contains an XBMC Server, my ISP Modem and a NAS/Cloud Drive?

The Cloud drive contains movies that I would like to stream to an external location.

I cannot find a website, video or forum posting that pulls all of the required config information together.

// *********************************************************************************************************

Greetings XBMC gurus!

Ive heard that when you need help , more people respond when you yell.. "FIRE !!!!"

I'm desparate for suggestions on how to configure a remote network connection to my home XBMC server. My Movies/ media to be streamed is stored on a Network Storage(i.e NAS/Cloud) drive. XBMC is installed at home on an Acer Nettop PC running Window 7 Ultimate . Im calling this my XBMC Server. My entire home network consists of a Nas drive , Acer Nettop XBMC Server and ISP Modem all network connected thru a DLink Router. When I want to watch movies at home I can successfully connect to my media when I "Add Videos...." and connect to my NAS drive when selecting the "Windows Network(SMB)" connection. But what do I do .....exactly....to configure a XBMC client so that I may obtain a remote connection to my home network using a WiFi connection provided by my local Starbucks.(Public Library, City Park, etc...)

(Please forgive my verbose , redundant description....Im trying to work out a proper way to best communicate my issues and futiile attempts at this config.)

Here's where my confusion begins:
Im using suggestions from a YouTube video entitled "XBMC streaming over the Internet" as my primary resource

1st assumption: I installed the same XBMC v.11 software on my Home Nettop PC(calling it the Server) and on my Laptop( calling it the Remote XBMC client). Please confirm that
I should be using the same software to serve a dual purpose on the respective machines.

When Attempting to use the laptop at an external location , I Start XBMC then select "Add Videos...." from the Videos menu.

I then select "WebDAV server( HTTPS).

Questions:

1).At this point , When it asks for my network address, are they asking for :

a) the IP of the home Acer Nettop Running the XMPC software or;
b) IP of the home router , which is connected to my internet modem,or
c) the port forwarded address of the home NAS/Cloud Drive (forwarding on port 21) or
d) the public address assigned to me from my ISP?

2). Assuming that I am correctly using the selected "WebDav server(HTTPS) as suggested, which port do I use?. The default setting of 443 or port 21....that is if I'm supposed to use the Nas Drive Address.

3) I am also required to to set up a remote path . Is the "Remote path" the same as the public Address assigned to me by my ISP.
If so , is it ok to use either this IP or subsitute it with a logical DNS name that I have reserved for resolving the ISP assigned IP. (i.e "xbmcdummy.dlinkddns.com")

4) I am requred to have a UserName and Password. Where do they come from?. Is this something I randomly make up or do I use the same UserName and Password that I have setup on My Nas Drive to allow remote access thru an FTP client?

This would make some sence if The Nas Drive address is being used as the requiredNetwork address.

I have tried several permutations of these setting with no luck. So close but yet so far. Can somebody HEEEELLLLLPPP! HuhHuhConfusedConfused
I updated this post with the hope of submitting a more descriptive post than my orignal. Getting desperate. Getting lots of views with no suggestions.
Keep in mind , my primary resource is the incomplete setup described in the video that I mentioned. Need Step by step instructions. Pleeeeezz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
---FIRE!!--Getting Lots of Views with no useful suggestions0