First A6-3500 Build - Stuttering Blu Ray Play Back Problem
Hi All.

I built my first mini ITX HTPC with the follow components (thanks for the advice guys My Build Advice Thread ).

Case: CFI A8889 Mini-ITX Cube Case - Black
Rear Exhaust Fan: Xilence Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan
Motherboard: AsRock A75M-ITX Motherboard
CPU/iGPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics and Socket FM1
CPU Cooler: SCYTHE Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B 775/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3/1155
Memory: CRUCIAL Mémoire PC Ballistix Tactical 2 x 2 Go DDR3-1866 - PC3-14900
HDD: Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD
Optical Samsung SH-B083L 8x Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVDRW Writer - Retail Box

The problem I'm having is that when i go to play a Blu Ray with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 it will play the Blu ray fine but once i get into the film i get stutters and 1 sec pauses from time to time which get annoying fast.

Ive also noticed that the picture doesn't seem as clear as it was in my old htpc.

Is this normal as i was under the impression from bits Ive read on this site that this APU would play Blu Ray Disks with out any problems?

Have i got to tweak the bios settings to achieve perfect palyback, If so what setting do you guys use with the same / similar builds.

Hope someone can help
IR
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
You haven't said what operating System your using?

Have you specified how much memory to share with the GPU. I think it defaults to auto, in the BIOS set it to 512
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Hi

Currently running Windows 7 Home Premium

Shared memory is set to 512mb
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

Are you using Realtek HD audio drivers loaded from the mobo CD? If you are then that is the problem. Uninstall them and load the AMD HD audio driver frome Catalyst .

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Icerat, you might want to cross-post your question here too: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26. There are alot of Windows/TMT users there.
Try these-

1. There seem to be firmware update for your BD-ROM- Samsung SH-B083L
2. Update the latest AMD driver- AMD Driver Autodetect
3. To improve video quality, you can configure CCC as shown in my screen shot below-

After you did all the above and you still not happy with PQ, you can try to configure Windows 7 as stated below:
A. You can try these Windows 7 settings to get the best display settings for an LCD monitor
1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
2. Click the drop-down list next to Resolution. Check for the resolution marked (recommended). This is your LCD monitor's native resolution—usually the highest resolution your monitor can support.

B. Set the color for an LCD monitor
1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
2. Click Advanced settings, and then click the Monitor tab.
3. Under Colors, select True Color (32 bit), and then click OK.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi
Thanks for the replies, much apprecaiated.

I updated the the blu ray drives firmware as it was a version out of date.

Then I ran the AMD Driver Auto Detect and it found that my drivers were up to date.

I used the suggested settings to improve video quality and that worked a treat, a noticeable improvement, thanks.

I finally figured out what was causing the stuttering whilst trying to play a Blu Ray, it turned out being something to do with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theartre 5.

I uninstalled it and put PowerDVD 12 Ultra on the media centre instead, I was able to watch Avatar Blu Ray from start to finish with only 3 stutters (not on high action bits either).

I wonder if it's something to do with the speed of the Blu Ray Drive? I'll have to watch it again to see if it stutters in same place again.

Thanks for the assistance guys, any further suggestions are appreciated.

IR

(2012-06-05, 18:42)Icerat Wrote: Hi
Thanks for the replies, much apprecaiated.

I updated the the blu ray drives firmware as it was a version out of date.

Then I ran the AMD Driver Auto Detect and it found that my drivers were up to date.

I used the suggested settings to improve video quality and that worked a treat, a noticeable improvement, thanks.

I finally figured out what was causing the stuttering whilst trying to play a Blu Ray, it turned out being something to do with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theartre 5.

I uninstalled it and put PowerDVD 12 Ultra on the media centre instead, I was able to watch Avatar Blu Ray from start to finish with only 3 stutters (not on high action bits either).

I wonder if it's something to do with the speed of the Blu Ray Drive? I'll have to watch it again to see if it stutters in same place again.

Thanks for the assistance guys, any further suggestions are appreciated.

IR

TMT5 and Realtek audio drivers do not go well together hence why I suggested you uninstall the Realtek drivers and install the AMD audio drivers. Do you have Realtek audio drivers loaded?

David

HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-06-05, 21:20)DavidT99 Wrote: TMT5 and Realtek audio drivers do not go well together hence why I suggested you uninstall the Realtek drivers and install the AMD audio drivers. Do you have Realtek audio drivers loaded?

David
Not really- I installed Realtek HD audio driver on my AMD E350+Nvidia GT430 and Intel E7200+AMD 6450, and it works fine with TMT5......

(2012-06-05, 21:43)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-05, 21:20)DavidT99 Wrote: TMT5 and Realtek audio drivers do not go well together hence why I suggested you uninstall the Realtek drivers and install the AMD audio drivers. Do you have Realtek audio drivers loaded?

David
Not really- I installed Realtek HD audio driver on my AMD E350+Nvidia GT430 and Intel E7200+AMD 6450, and it works fine with TMT5......

I had problems with video stuttering and TMT5 with Realtek audio drivers and was advised by Arc soft support not to use Realtek audio drivers.

David
I have a Revo RL70 and I'm experiencing similar issues as the OP.

However I don't have a Blu-Ray player in my Revo, I stream the film from the server.

Network side is fine, I disabled the (evil evil) integrated 8111E NIC and I'm using this one instead (same chip as the desktop Intel Gigabit CT card).

TMT5 plays the intro fine, but it starts getting choppy as soon as the film (and the audio stream) changes.

Tried the Realtek audio driver and made no difference. If anything it made it worse.

Tried with PowerDVD (both with the AMD and the Realtek audio driver) and went smoothly (although PDVD seems to prefer the AMD driver too, with the Realtek driver bit streaming would not always work).

By the way, for AMD users (like your's truly) AMD will no longer aim for monthly updates of the Catalyst driver. However they have gone back to releasing betas etc, and this is from the change log (under resolver issues) of the May 22nd beta driver:

"Disabled HDMI audio when the connected HDTV is powered Off/On."

I was certainly experiencing this issue with the 12.4 Catalyst, will try tonight and see if this beta cures it...

Source

You may want to read these threads- TMT 5 Stuttering Blu-Ray playback and Topic: TMT 5 stuttering when playing Blu-Ray.........
(2012-06-06, 18:24)bluray Wrote: You may want to read these threads- TMT 5 Stuttering Blu-Ray playback and Topic: TMT 5 stuttering when playing Blu-Ray.........

Thanks for the suggestion, will read through them and see if they provide with some joy...

I could make it with not having to purchase PDVD as well... Besides I like TMT5 best... when it works Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First A6-3500 Build - Stuttering Blu Ray Play Back Problem0