advancedsettings.xml addon_data path substitution
Video 
Hi there,

I have been experiementing with using advancedsettings.xml and MYSQL settings for syncing all of my various (Windows, Mac, Apple TV 2 and iOS) XBMC installations over the past week as detailed in the wiki guide. Specifically i have found issues with the following;

Code:
<substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/addon_data/</from>
    <to>PROTOCOL://YOUR_NETWORK_SHARE/xbmc/userdata/addon_data/</to>
  </substitute>

What i have found whilst taking into account the statement
Quote:Sync some of the add-on settings and preferences. With the way python/add-ons/xbmc works, add-ons don't always follow path substitution, and might not always use the remote "addon_data" folder/share. You would have to ask the person who made the add-on to support being able to save the data on a remote share if it is not working with path subs.
That some of the add_on's for example weather have a problem with writing to the SMB shared configurations on my NAS. Is there a way to address this?

I have attempted to resolve this with adding "mobile" as a use to the NAS, however the problem remains. The test i did was simply to add the substitution code and then attempt to change the weather location details and save it - it doesn't save the details - if i remove the substitution the details are saved correctly. If i copy the addon configuration to the NAS and then reapply the substitution configuration, it works perfectly, however i can not modify the configuration directly from within XBMC.

Personally i believe this would be a fantastic option for syncing all of my XBMC installations if i could update the details as you would expect that all reside in one place (and a plus for a single point of backup -specially for iOS and Apple TV installations). Whilst i may have missed something in the documented details for implementation of this advanced configuration, i have reread the details and steps a number of times and tested many times on a range of addon's that are supporting this method - all have the same problem - permissions.

Is there anyone out there that has successfully implemented this solution or know how to address the permissions issue i have experienced? or perhaps it may be a bug that has not been found due to this type of configuration being new and not often used?

Cheers
Felix
no, this is not easily solvable, and even if it was, it wouldn't be a solution to anything. there would be NO syncronization between clients and each and every add-on would eventually arse up due to simultanous usage.
That's a really bummer - that would have been an excellent solution, however i understand that sharing the add-on's more than likely would be a recipe for trouble. I hope that sometime in the future a process for this type of configuration could be used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advancedsettings.xml addon_data path substitution0