Loading movie list is very slow
Hi, I've recently started using XBMC and it's great! I have one issue though; it takes about 20 seconds to load my movie list, which is way to slow. Sometimes I even get the windows "busy cursor" while it's loading. Some more info:
-I'm running XBMC Eden PVR on Windows 7
-I have almost 900 movies in my movie list
-Libray is setup on a mysql server on my NAS, I've tested it on a mysql server on another (faster) machine, no difference
-User data (thumbnails and such) are stored on a share on my NAS
How can I find out what's going on, and improve this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
It's because it's not local and within a NAS/MySQL.

This could help? http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2011/0...e.html?m=1
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Thanks for your reply but the optimizations mentioned there are pre-eden. Eden version already includes these indexes.
It is like that, I get the same experience. AFAIK there is nothing you can do at the moment, you will have to wait until some changes are implemented. I think something related to instead of sharing the thumbs moving them into the DB or something like that.
I don't know how it's implemented now, but it looks like one big synchronous operation at the moment. If so, this can be improved a lot by loading the movie list, display it and get all extra stuff like thumbnails, fanart, plot information and so on after that asynchronously or something.
If you're using wired connection then it's maybe little slowish. On my wireless setup it takes about 2 seconds to load around 135 movie titles in Confluence. Media accessed over NFS, path subs using SMB.
I can't imagine that has something to do with, I'm using a wired 1Gb connection. Are you actually trying to say a wireless setup would be faster than a wired setup??
If you don't mind using the latest Alpha (Alpha 2, which is pretty stable under Windows for me), the thumbnails asynchronous loading mechanism is in place and works a treat for MySQL shared-library performance.

See here... Solved my performance issues instantly!
(2012-06-05, 18:42)DavidLibido Wrote: I can't imagine that has something to do with, I'm using a wired 1Gb connection. Are you actually trying to say a wireless setup would be faster than a wired setup??

No, i was just offering some comparison.
(2012-06-05, 20:38)kreeturez Wrote: If you don't mind using the latest Alpha (Alpha 2, which is pretty stable under Windows for me), the thumbnails asynchronous loading mechanism is in place and works a treat for MySQL shared-library performance.

Where can I find this "Alpha 2" you're referring to? Do you mean the nightlies?
(2012-06-05, 21:41)DavidLibido Wrote:
(2012-06-05, 20:38)kreeturez Wrote: If you don't mind using the latest Alpha (Alpha 2, which is pretty stable under Windows for me), the thumbnails asynchronous loading mechanism is in place and works a treat for MySQL shared-library performance.

Where can I find this "Alpha 2" you're referring to? Do you mean the nightlies?

See here... It's not a PVR build, though; I suspect these changes will be merged into the PVR build soon...

Thanks, I'll check it out to see if it's improved. If soo I'll just have to wait for the pvr release
I have a similar setup, and had similar slowness issues until I added 'skip-name-resolve' to my.ini for the mysql server. Resulted in a massive speed improvement (30-40 seconds to a few seconds).

The other recommendation from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...-up_tweaks is to use the IP address of your server in advancedsettings.xml instead of the hostname, though for me any improvement here wasn't as noticeable.
Both tweaks have already been applied, but thanks
Hi there

I found that after I moved my "MYSQL" server from my old NAS box to a full WHS 2011 server box (much more powerful) my video lists were loading much slower.

Im afraid it was a good 6months ago that I made the change so I can't remember everything I tried but I have a feeling it came down to the reverse DNS lookup setting.

On the NAS box (effectively LINUX version of mysql) I think that the option is off by default (or at least does not cause a problem). However for windows version of MYSQL you have to manually set the option in the ini file.

Do some searching for ship-name resolve and see if that helps -sorry I don't have the actual links to hand but found this

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/host-cache.html

one thing to note is you must then connect using IP address (not server name) and I think I also then had an issue with logging in remotely using root.

My lookups were dramatically faster after doing this so I hope it helps - and sorry for being so vague (bad memory!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Loading movie list is very slow0