Attention: Thumbnail cache rewrite's unintended consequences
See here for a basic description of how it all works.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Quote:9. If it's been at least 24 hours since the texture was last loaded, we check whether or not the cached version needs to be refreshed from the original image. If so, we cache the image as outlined above.

If all my thumbnails are stored with the files, does that mean i get a disk check for those files?
I have many disks and don't want them to spin up all the time.
They should only spin up for the actual movie playing. Confused
(2012-07-13, 08:23)jmarshall Wrote: See here for a basic description of how it all works.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Just curious if there were any plans for background cache generation? After setting up a fresh 20120717 build on both my upstairs and downstairs machines and letting them re-scrape the library I noticed that the first time you access a TV Show / Movie it can take a 1 or 2 seconds for the fanart etc to appear (presumably because it's caching) after which it's pretty much instant.

I haven't got DDS fanart enabled and it's the same whether I'm on gigabit or not so I guess the initial cache can simply take a while sometimes (i'm sure the spec of the machines doesn't help, they're on Acer R3700s).

It's not a big deal either way (presuming this is working as intended) but it'd be great if we could forcibly cache everything rather than accessing each item individually to generate the cache - no idea whether this should be included in XBMC (maybe as a part of the library import or automatically done when scraping?) or if it should be down to a 3rd party util.

Keep up the great work anyway, I'm probably over-complicating things!
Caching already happens in the background. When you open a library view XBMC will start retrieving the artwort for the items starting at the beginning of the list. If the artwork is not there it starts caching it but all that happens "independently" of loading the list of items.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-07-18, 15:25)Montellese Wrote: Caching already happens in the background. When you open a library view XBMC will start retrieving the artwort for the items starting at the beginning of the list. If the artwork is not there it starts caching it but all that happens "independently" of loading the list of items.

Strange.. I thought that was the case from past discussions but I left XBMC open on my full Movie library view for a few hours this morning and then tried skipping a few pages down the list (which I hadn't looked at) and was still experiencing the same delays. Ah well, all good! I'll just remember to keep a backup of the thumbnails folder on future re-installs etc.
I am trying to figure out in what ATV2 build these features are integrated. I am running the org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-4_iphoneos-arm.deb build, compiled on the 2nd of July, but I did not notice any new DB versions in the MySQL database, so I assume these changes are not in that one.

Any suggestions on what build to use?
(2012-07-18, 19:50)Basje Wrote: I am trying to figure out in what ATV2 build these features are integrated. I am running the org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-4_iphoneos-arm.deb build, compiled on the 2nd of July, but I did not notice any new DB versions in the MySQL database, so I assume these changes are not in that one.

Any suggestions on what build to use?

That's an Eden stable build, so no, not in there. The nightlies after that is where you start getting the goodness. I'm running xbmc-20120715-f9f7c37-master-atv2 on my ATV2 and the performance improvements are, well, drastic, over Eden.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Attention: Thumbnail cache rewrite's unintended consequences1