Linux Building my own HTPC - remote question
Hi,

I'm planning to build my own HTPC. As I saw the Logitech Harmony 600 remote I am not sure I will get it working on Linux.

The website of the shop where I want to buy the components gives the next information at supported operating system: MS Windows XP, MS Windows 7, MS Windows Vista, Apple MacOS X 10.4.8 or higher

I'm planning the next setting:

Hardware:
Case: SilverStone SUGO SG05 - Bureaumodel
Motherboard: Asus E45M1-I DELUXE
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-10666 1333MHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX, 2TB
Remote: Phillips Harmony 600 (incl. IR receiver)

Software:
XBMC
SickBeard
CouchPotato

If someone has experience with getting a Logitech Harmony 600 working on a linux setup; please share experience. (easy to get it working? extra work needed to get it working with XBMC?)
Beside of that I would like to hear what u guys think about the setting I'm planning.

Thanks in advance.[/b]
I use a flirc reciever with my xbmc install and my harmony 700. Works great.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I'm sure you'll be able to get it to work, as of version 2.6.26 the kernel handles all remote communication, you may just have to set up custom mappings.
It's the IR receiver you need to get working. The Harmony handset just emulates the IR signals sent by whatever handset normnally goes with your IR receiver.

A lot of IR receivers emulate keyboards i.e. when you press a button on the remote handset your PC sees it as a keypress. These receivers will work out of the box with XBMC. All that's required is that linux recognises the USB device and configures it as a keyboard. I think most receivers should work but see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews to check.

The other popular type of receiver is an "eHome" receiver. In Linux you need to configure LIRC to support this. XBMCbuntu has support built in. If you do your own Linux install you need to manually configure LIRC, but there should be loads of info in the forum and Wiki on how to do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building my own HTPC - remote question0