Which PicoPSU Should i get
Hi
just a little update: Well the PSU in the Case i brought ended up giving up the ghost causing the system to constantly restart Sad

For a while i had a 600W Supply hanging out the back of the case to get me through until i could find a new supply.

I was still looking for a PicoPSU and came across a PicoPSU 150W on ebay with a good quality brick and 18months old and the best thing of all was i managed to get it for a buy it now price of £41 with £5 postage link

I now have it in my Media Center, I had to extend the P4 connector lines and DC in Lines a little bit but this wasn't a problem, wire, crimps done

The systems now Idles at a stupidly low temperature and draws 26-30watts, prime95 causes cores to rise to 38-40 and it draws 67-69watts quite a bit of difference compared to old supply.

The only think im wondering is the SCYTHE Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B 775/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3/1155 pulls air from the top of the case and blows it out over the motherboard, maybe this cooked the old PSU, will it do the same to my PicoPSU?

I have a silent fan pulling in cool air from the back of the case then the CPU cooler pulls it down and through, the heat gets blown out to the holes around the bottom my case and the front of the case.
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
I'm looking at buying the following completely passively cooled system. It will be a dedicated XBMC box, running windows. It will occasionally be used for some web browsing (mainly YouTube):
  • APU: AMD A4-5300 3,4GHz Dual Core 65W
  • Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
  • Case: Streacom FC8 Evo Silver
  • Remote: Streacom Infrared Receiver + Remote
  • Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX
  • SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus Sata II 2,5" SSD 30GB
  • PSU: Mini-box picoPSU 120 + 80W Adapter Power Kit

(note: I still have to verify if the motherboard fits with the heat-pipes of the case)

I have a few questions:
  • Will the picoPSU 120 + 80W adapter work for this system? Will the picoPSU 90 + 80W adapter suffice?
  • Will it make a difference if I get slower (cheaper) memory?
  • Is the AMD A4-5300 (dual core) the best 65W CPU to get for a dedicated XBMC box?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which PicoPSU Should i get3