Best Storage Format
Hi everyone.

I currently use DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs into the video and audio folders. I also use another program to rip my Disney DVDs in to just the direct digital disk copy. This allows me to have minimal quality loss, the menus and special features which I love as well as having chapters which to me is an essential feature to move to digital movies.

The down fall is the files are large, with 3TB hard drives under $200 bucks storage space is not an issue, the issue comes when streaming these files. I have upgraded my house to Gig Ethernet just to handle the 8gig movies streaming across it.

I plan on upgrading my system to Blu-rays and would love to keep the menus full backup, but I am worried if the gigabit will be able to handle the leap to 32gig files.

My questions are,

1.Will the network be able to handle the upgraded sizes? (has anyone actually tried this situation?)
2.Is there a better way I should be storing my DVDs so that bandwidth is not so demanding?

Any input is awesome, I have had my system for years now but the move to blue ray is making me rethink my setup.

Also, side note, I would love to be able to view my files on my Xbox as well as on my iPad but my current file format does not let me.

Thanks,
Mike
No problem with blu ray over gigabit ethernet.

You won't have your menus and what not when playing blu ray movies in xbmc though.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
The hard drive itself is most likely to be the bottle neck but it should handle blu-ray fine.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
So if i convert to blu-ray then I wont get the menus anyway? Do you think xbmc will ever implement them?

If i can not have menus on my Blu-ray anyways is there a better file format I can use for even my DVDs that is not so resource intensive? even if i do have to sacrifice the menus?
It'll be a while for the menus - no open source software does them yet... Personally I just do ~4-7 GB bluray rips as .mkv files with the h264 codec for most movies, or full DVD ISO's for movies I want the menus/special features (like Criterion movies)...

With gigabit ethernet, you don't really need to worry about bandwidth... If I can handle a full ~45GB bluray ISO through my $15 gigabit switch, you'll be fine Wink
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
It's interesting to hear that you like to preserve the menus. I feel exactly the opposite. One of the reasons why I like having a HTPC running XBMC to get away from what I consider, "those pesky annoying menus on DVDs and Blu-Rays". I like to have all my movies stored, click play, and just have the movie play from the beginning. No fuss, no FBI warnings, no trailers, no menus.

For me, when DVD first came out it was neat for about the 1st year to have menus to access special features, etc. Then after that, I felt they became annoying and I longed for the days of VHS tapes; just stick the tape in and play.

It sounds like you store your movies at exceptionally high quality. Most of the movies in my XBMC collection are digital rips from premium channels like HBO/Starz/etc. I compress down to 720p h264 @ 3000k/sec with Handbrake and they are good enough for me. I also have gigabit ethernet and I find the streaming works well. I have 2 jailbroken AppleTVs running XBMC in 2 different bedrooms, and a Linux based HTPC running XBMC in the living room; all connected via gigabit ethernet.

I store DVDs as .mkv's ripped by MakeMKV 3GB-6GB per movie with the best audio track and english subs. My blu-rays are ripped to .ts files (slightly smaller than .m2ts files) with just the video, best audio track and english subs, each one is between 20GB-45GB per movie.

I agree with mcpish about menus. I feel like I have reclaimed hours of my life not watching FBI warnings and navigating menus. I'm only doing this for the video content.
XBMC skips all the FBI warnings and such - when you click on a DVD ISO, it just straight to the menu, with the cursor on play so you can hit enter again to launch the movie...

Mind you, out of my ~2400 movies, only about 650 or so are ISOs with the menu, and 600 of those are the Criterion Collection :p
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Maybe I am just clinging to the past by holding on to the menus. Out of my 6TBs of movies, 2 of them are prob just aditional disk info like menus and extras.

Maybe ripping my movies to .mkv is the thing to do from now on.

Has anyone tried to get their movies to play on a labtop running xbmc but connected to weireless? Would .mkv allow this? I have tried it with my current files and it pretty much impossible.
(2012-06-07, 15:48)plankanater Wrote: Has anyone tried to get their movies to play on a labtop running xbmc but connected to weireless? Would .mkv allow this? I have tried it with my current files and it pretty much impossible.

I have no trouble streaming to my wireless N nettop it handles high bitrate 1080p files just fine if they are in mkv format, however if I was to remux the exact same files to .ts or .m2ts I get the odd buffering issue

(2012-06-07, 15:59)stammie Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 15:48)plankanater Wrote: Has anyone tried to get their movies to play on a labtop running xbmc but connected to weireless? Would .mkv allow this? I have tried it with my current files and it pretty much impossible.

I have no trouble streaming to my wireless N nettop it handles high bitrate 1080p files just fine if they are in mkv format, however if I was to remux the exact same files to .ts or .m2ts I get the odd buffering issue

Even uncompressed blu-rays?
(2012-06-07, 15:48)plankanater Wrote: Maybe I am just clinging to the past by holding on to the menus. Out of my 6TBs of movies, 2 of them are prob just aditional disk info like menus and extras.

Maybe ripping my movies to .mkv is the thing to do from now on.

Has anyone tried to get their movies to play on a labtop running xbmc but connected to weireless? Would .mkv allow this? I have tried it with my current files and it pretty much impossible.

Depends how good your wireless signal is. I would imagine one .mkv file would be easier to stream than the contents of a DVD file structure.
I don't have any uncompressed blurays to try but my largest 1080p mkv comes in at 24gb and that streams just fine, although on my setup the main file server is wired into my router only the nettop in my setup works wirelessly and that has a constant full 300mb/s wireless N connection to the router.
I just use MAKEmkv for all my rips, gigabit on the main htpc however 1080p mk's play fine on my wireless n but I have two access points to ensure best connection otherwise it would drop off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Storage Format0