Linux mySQL sync help
ok heres what I have a release 11 of xbmcbuntu go it working I some networking issues but that is solved not and I can see all my media on my main windows7 box via samba.
1. all address are fixed ips
2. I have a web server in the cloud with with multiple domains and multiple mySQL running on it. I use putty, filezila, and phpmyadmin to maintain the box.

so if server is at mydomain.com (8.8.8.x)
my local xmbc box is at 192.168.150
my samba windows box is at 192.168.1.35
my gateway is 192.168.1.1

So. I read the howtos but they really didnt explane it..
I created the mysql user
and gave it my rights.

but when I get at the box i have use SSH to talk to my box..
and I get asked to log in my user name and password. ok that has to be me (only I can log on to the box)
then you cd /etc
and say mysql which gives to the mysql prompt '>'

Question where / who sets up the data base tables. (I must be stupid)
Confused
(2012-06-07, 02:07)phoenixcomm Wrote: ok heres what I have a release 11 of xbmcbuntu go it working I some networking issues but that is solved not and I can see all my media on my main windows7 box via samba.
1. all address are fixed ips
2. I have a web server in the cloud with with multiple domains and multiple mySQL running on it. I use putty, filezila, and phpmyadmin to maintain the box.

so if server is at mydomain.com (8.8.8.x)
my local xmbc box is at 192.168.150
my samba windows box is at 192.168.1.35
my gateway is 192.168.1.1

So. I read the howtos but they really didnt explane it..
I created the mysql user
and gave it my rights.

but when I get at the box i have use SSH to talk to my box..
and I get asked to log in my user name and password. ok that has to be me (only I can log on to the box)
then you cd /etc
and say mysql which gives to the mysql prompt '>'

Question where / who sets up the data base tables. (I must be stupid)
Confused

If you have created the user on the DB and assigned the relevant permissions thats all that you need to do on the DB side of it.
you will need to modify the advancedsettings.xml ( its in your userdata folder just connect via winscp)

And enter the details below
Code:
<videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>8.8.8.x</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>8.8.8.x</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

When XBMC starts up providing you have enter the valid ip for the MySQL host and port 3306 is open xbmc will create the DB structure.
ok thank you for the first part.
But generious I dont think you understand my full problem.
1. the server is a Linux box on the net, in the cloud but it looks like I did not mention that is a 'virtual server' that is I share the box with other users/partitions.
2. I must ssh into the box with my username / password pair (I am the only user)
then I get my $ prompt at which point I can change directory to /etc and execute 'mysql' and i get >
3. my xbmc is xbmcbuntu (it uses samba client to see my media)
4. my media is on my windows 7 box.

So the question is how can xmbc get to my server on the net?
I first have to use putty (my ssh client)
then the server responds with a request for my username
then the server responds with a request for my password
if every thing is ok then i get
[username][path]$
then you can launch mysql
What happens if you use your username and pass in advancedsettings? You're logging into the server and opening the mysql command interface, you don't need to do that. As long as the mysql daemon is running and the port is opened your home box should be able to use it. Question, why not just install Mysql in your samba box? it has to be running to serve the files anyways.

Mike
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2012-06-08, 05:59)phoenixcomm Wrote: So the question is how can xmbc get to my [MySQL] server on the net?

It's not going to work like that. It could probably be done by enabling remote access to MySQL (this needs some changes to MySQL server configuration and you probably don't have permissions to do that if you are on shared host) or by some sort of fancy SSH tunneling to your server. ...but it will be slow if it even works at all. When you are using PuTTY/SSH connection to your remote server you are "local MySQL user" as far as that remote MySQL server knows, but when XMBC tries to access that server, it is "remote MySQL user". Smile

XMBC's MySQL support means that shoud have MySQL server in you local network. So you need to install MySQL to your "xbmcbuntu box" or "Windows 7 box" (or somewhere else, if you have more computers/devices cabable running MySQL).

Quote:You'll need to choose which of your computers, XBMC devices, or NAS will be the MySQL server. The server needs to be on 24/7 or have wake-on-lan (preferably the former), and needs to have a local static IP. You will probably want the XBMC device that is hosting most or all of your videos and music to also be the MySQL server, but this is not required..
Quote from XBMC Wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...g_up_MySQL - you can find MySQL server installation instructions from there too. Smile Don't worry, installing MySQL server is quite easy and it's free.
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
ah, Paavor thanks, but as this is a 'shared host' why cant my xbmbutu box open a connection to the host via ssh
at that point it would be a 'local' connection?

I have a Apache running, one of our db's have now well over 100k pages most done via push publishing from our mysql db.
And as a long time Unix user with the last 10 years just working on Sun SPARC/Solaris as an ISP in Dallas.

as far as putting my db on a pc.... LOL its bad enough that my video lib is there pc hardware has a bad bad reputation for premature DEATH!
if you work for an ISP you should know how TCP works. Mysql does not allow connections from other hosts by default. Unless you specifically enable that on mysql, you can only connect from localhost.

so as pavvor already said, you could do ssh tunneling, but XBMC does not do that for you.
Its about as stupid as it gets to use a msql server on the internet for the XBMC DB. Its usually slow and - even more important - has high latencies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mySQL sync help0