"Google image" scraper ?
Quote:
(2012-06-06, 09:22)olympia Wrote:
(2012-06-06, 07:29)saladasalad Wrote: [*]Google should also be added as a source for images, I understand that people should contribute images to fanart.tv but that is very time-consuming (plus I have contributed countless hours to editing MB) and finding images is something that google is already very good at.
No way at all. This is a scraper for top quality.
Fair enough. I do think that with the right settings (high image quality, -covers, photos, etc.) you could get decent quality but it's probably something better suited to another addon.

+1
Maybe someone could do a "google scraper" ?

Laziness and a sense of entitlement, they get the software for free, most likely the media for free, there are free programs and scrapers to make it all look pretty, that are powered by free community sites to gather all the information and images, why should they have to bother giving back to the community, come on olympia, be serious, what were you thinking? Wink
(2012-06-07, 21:52)Kode Wrote: .....come on olympia, be serious, what were you thinking? Wink

I just think olympia is the lazy one here

He just doesn't want to make such a scraper to make all of our lives easier Rofl

-10 on the idea btw
Personally I want my money back!

And I can see a Google scrapper picking up the wrong band more times than people expect. I often get a different band when I search for artist images as they are mentioned on the same bill or as being similar.
What's the pb if the community grab fanart on google instead of fanart.tv ? It help the community, it's the main goal, isn't it ?

So it help global community, but not fanart.tv community ?! Wink

Seriously, my idea isn't to don't help community, and if there was a google scraper, i will use it to grab fanart, even some with less quality than HD, it's a choice and it isn't a pb for me for instance (i don't have HD TV), but if i found good quality image, i could upload them on hdbackdrop or fanart.tv, i ever do it, so don't categorize people too quickly Wink

Hi,

Quote:
(2012-06-06, 09:22)olympia Wrote:
(2012-06-06, 07:29)saladasalad Wrote: [*]Google should also be added as a source for images, I understand that people should contribute images to fanart.tv but that is very time-consuming (plus I have contributed countless hours to editing MB) and finding images is something that google is already very good at.
No way at all. This is a scraper for top quality.
Fair enough. I do think that with the right settings (high image quality, -covers, photos, etc.) you could get decent quality but it's probably something better suited to another addon.

+1
Maybe someone could do a "google scraper" ?
What's the problem with contributing and uploading shit to fanart.tv?
(2012-06-07, 21:31)nonob Wrote: What's the pb if the community grab fanart on google instead of fanart.tv ? It help the community, it's the main goal, isn't it ?

So it help global community, but not fanart.tv community ?! Wink

Seriously, my idea isn't to don't help community, and if there was a google scraper, i will use it to grab fanart, even some with less quality than HD, it's a choice and it isn't a pb for me for instance (i don't have HD TV), but if i found good quality image, i could upload them on hdbackdrop or fanart.tv, i ever do it, so don't categorize people too quickly Wink

What's the problem with you googling the image and uploading it?
It's the exact same thing and you help others.
This is not about fanart.tv or htbackdrops. It's about making sure every one gets some quality images
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I just think it could be easier to use a scraper to search on google than do it manually with my browser.., and we don't have all the same quality needs...... but also, i don't know how hard is a sraper creation .... but it was just a little idea...., maybe a bad idea....

i can continue to manually search on google .... , i ever do it, and i already uploaded artworks...and i always help community when i can...

Without any really good controlled source it really hard to get it right. Even the smallest changes can screw up the results.
I do google myself for images and it is sad to see how bad the results are when searching for some band.

I'd say you would get 75-90% wrong
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

1. Place double quotes around the search term.
  2. Set size to 'Large'.
  3. Set type to 'Photo'.

For most artists I tested, about 90% of the first 10 results are useful. The only time this wasn't effective was when the band has a generic name that is the same as something else that is popular. For example, searching for images of the band Underworld produces mostly images of a movie with the same name. Adding the term 'band', 'music' or 'live' to the search massively increases the success rate but the problem I see is that applying these extra terms to most artists will needlessly restrict the results. So when to apply the extra term/s?

It's possible that I was just very lucky in my testing, so it would be good if others could do some testing with artists that they know and report back here with searches that don't produce good results.

There are already XBMC addons that do image searches on Google, Flickr and Picasa (other good sources of artist images) so hacking them for this purpose shouldn't be a big deal for someone with the right skills.

fanart.tv is great for movies and TV but there are so many music artists that it will be many, many years before it produces decent results in regards to music. If an unwillingness to manually search for multiple high quality images of the ~1500 artists then submit them to fanart.tv makes me lazy, then lazy I am. Either way, since this topic has been split into it's own thread there is no need for any argument.
Well the music section has more images than the other 2 combined, and more than double the amount of images as the tv section, but I agree, it will probably be a long time before obscure artists show up there, especially if people don't contribute.

(2012-06-08, 02:49)saladasalad Wrote: If an unwillingness to manually search for multiple high quality images of the ~1500 artists then submit them to fanart.tv makes me lazy, then lazy I am.

That wouldn't make you lazy at all, but what is more likely is people won't bother, you must be using a different account name on fanart.tv because there is no user on fanart.tv called saladasalad that has uploaded any images for their ~ 1500 artists.

Anyway, this might work for you guys http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83496
Just to clarify by the way, I don't care if you don't contribute on fanart.tv, or any one else for that matter, it's a time consuming activity, for everyone involved, I just found it amusing.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google image" scraper ?0