Linux XBMCbuntu freezes
i have been messing with the settings for GUI in advanced settings and had some interesting results.

with the settings like this:

<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

the system works, but when I come back from cycling thru the tv inputs, XBMC no longer freezes, but the screen does go black (initially it is a blue screen w/ no signal, like the device went to sleep), but after I push a button, the screen turns to a black screen. I can hear the sounds from scrolling around in the menus, just not video. Seems like i'm almost there. Any ideas?
trying:

<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

and 1 reboot everything worked fine, even after cycling thru.

rebooted to confirm and I get the same results as above. Screen goes black, but i can hear the menu movements.

tried
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>-1</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

and i get the same thing.

just tried to remove the section and get the same thing, so back the drawing board at this point.
I think there are 2 problems.

1. video doesn't come back after i cycle inputs
2. xbmc freezes

problem 1 happens when i cycle inputs. The screen goes black, but the software is still functioning just fine. If I do a sudo killall -9 xbmc.bin, xbmc starts back up just fine

problem 2 happens when I leave a video paused. There is no recovery. strace of the xbmc.bin process shows it is locked up, even killing the xbmc.bin process doesn't fix anything, i have to do a complete reboot.
for anyone who finds this and is looking for a solution, I sort of solved the problem:

I followed the steps to upgrade XBMC from Dharma to Eden from the XBMC-Live install that was working fine. Currently, the machine either hangs at boot and just shows the XBMC loading screen and never loads (it looks like plymouthd is never finishing), or it boots to a command line log in. If I run an xinit xbmc, then xbmc 11 loads and runs just fine. no freezing, or anything. may be an option for anyone with similar problems.

no i just need to figure out how to make xinit to fire off automatically and I'm good, but I haven't had to worry about it that much, because the system has been up and running since I started it a few days ago. No freezes, no display glitches.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu freezes1