UPnP and Libraries
I've been forced to use UPnP to stream video over my wireless network to my HTPC because SMB was too slow. I read in the wiki that XBMC libraries cannot be integrated with UPnP so what is the workaround? I want to have all the nice features of a library view but my sources have to come from my UPnP server.

Thanks in advance!
Get a UPnP server that serves up prettiness is your only option.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the response. Is this what everyone does whose HTPC uses wifi? Is XBMC the UPnP server of choice?
Nope, I use mostly wifi and use mostly SMB. Sometimes AFP. Might want to look at your wifi hardware or look at going wired (you need really good wireless N to get good HD playback, and even then it might buffer every so often).
I have the same problem, XBMC library works fine with SMB but not in UPnP.
SMB is slow....
XBMC libraries cannot be integrated with UPnP Huh Why ?
(2012-07-02, 17:40)cherrerap Wrote: I have the same problem, XBMC library works fine with SMB but not in UPnP.
SMB is slow....
XBMC libraries cannot be integrated with UPnP Huh Why ?

The main reason is that UPnP file paths are dynamic, meaning they change each time you connect to the UPnP server. The other reason is that UPnP can provide metadata that the library normally provides, so using UPnP is like being able to load up a self-contained library, thus there is less of a need to "scan" those files into the XBMC box that is getting the UPnP share.

This is why XBMC supports being a UPnP server. If you share your library via UPnP to another XBMC box, all file paths work (network or local to the original machine) and all the summaries and cover art are already there from the original machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP and Libraries0