Acer Revo L70 thoughts...
@exsertus: read the link again. LPCM could bite you in your a*** :p

xbmc transcoding policy:
a) when DTS-HD and receiver capable of DTS: play DTS core
b) when TrueHD or DTS-HD and DTS deactivated: use LPCM
c) use LPCM for everything
d) if LPCM is disabled -> transcode AC3 (Dolby Digital)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hmm looks like HD audio isn't supported by the AMD chipset
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...o_playback

Thanks fritch. My amp (Denon AVR3310), handles HD and LPCM. So, I've left LPCM on and DTS-HD / TrueHD disabled
@exsertus:

Your receiver can do whatever it wants, AMD and fglrx don't care.

AMD implements the HDMI as a Optical with _only_ two (in numbers: 2) real channels. It cannot output anything with LPCM (you know what LPCM is?) that has more than 2 channels. The only way to get 5.1 sound out of it, is to use virtual formats like DTS or AC3, which "encode" their 6 channels via 2 channels, which is passed through to the receiver and decoded there.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@GeorgeStark - I'd have to ask what you really plan on doing with the box - I've run XBMC quite happily on my Revo R3600 for some time without issue, and it's humming away with OpenElec on it now. Boots in an instant, plays everything I throw at it, including 1080p BR rips. Do you really need to change it, or do you just want to? Or are you looking at really hammering it with a heavy skin, cursoring around while using tvheadend to record multiple HD streams in the background?

Just wondering, that's all. But I'd stick with ION anyway, personally - anything NVidia-ey seems to be the preferred choice - I sought out an R3700 when I needed a second box, avoiding the L series for just that reason.
@Prof Yaffle

My Revo 3610 with Camelot runs fine and does almost everything I want. Yes, it could be a little quicker and there are a few small annoyances like BBC iPlayer and some of the video scrapers no longer working, but it plays everything I can throw at it.

As you suggested, it's really much more of a want than a need; I'd like to have a current version of XBMC and it'd be a bonus to have my existing Revo freed up to be used in another room. Plus (and it's a BIG one), I can take my time getting it working without having to worry that any existing XBMC installation is out of action whilst I do. My free time is limited/non-existant and I just couldn't handle having the same absolute nightmare building a unit with Frodo that I did when I built my existing Camelot setup (getting WiFi and an Xbox DVD remote working were hell).

I hear what you're saying about ION/nVidia, which is why I was also looking at a ZOTAC box. I'm still undecided and have yet to actually order anything (again, as this is a want, I can take my time). Wink
Okay, I won't try to dissuade you :-)

Have a look at the ION OE build on a USB stick for your 3600. I've gone from Camelot through to Frodo with daily use, and it still works fine - I suppose it does depend on where you keep your media to a certain extent, local is very different from on a centralised NAS when it comes to rebuilding the main HTPC.

I'll leave you to yearn for that i7 behemoth for under the lounge TV in the meantime ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo L70 thoughts...0