Networking Help
Rainbow 
I am not sure where to even begin.

I installed XBMC on an external drive along with all my movies. I assumed this would likely be easy and I could just point a shortcut to XBMC from any computer and it would run.

It tells me that a driver is missing so I installed it also on the computers pointing to the external drive.

I am trying to avoid recreating the skins and everything on each computer and would also like everything on an external drive so I can easily back everything up.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Which OS? I think Windows has a "portable mode" that will let you do this.

You should (in theory) be able to move your entire userdata (wiki) folder (or the parent XBMC folder) using path subs (wiki), though you would still require at least the advancedsettings.xml file to be in the original place (to load the path sub info).
(2012-06-11, 00:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Which OS? I think Windows has a "portable mode" that will let you do this.

You should (in theory) be able to move your entire userdata (wiki) folder (or the parent XBMC folder) using path subs (wiki), though you would still require at least the advancedsettings.xml file to be in the original place (to load the path sub info).

Windows 7 and Windows Vista Media Center

Modify advancesetting,xml so that it points to the External Drive.

Do I need to install a copy of XBMC on each computer and then path sub? If not where do I put advancedsetting.xml?
Calling up XBMC In portable mode creates a \XBMC\portable_data\userdata folder in which advancedsetting.xml would be. In portable mode you should only have the one install on your portable drive, regardless of machine... but I'm unsure of the dependencies.
If you use portable mode then you won't need to use advancedsettings.xml/pathsubs. All settings are saved with the XBMC application.
Ok.

I will give this a try and let everyone know how it works.

Thank you for the assistance.
Where exactly do I put the -p switch?

Nevermind....Didn't realize I needed to "path" FOLLOWED by -p

BTW....Working great now. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Networking Help0