Playing dvd backups on xbmc
Hi Every one,

Am new here have downloaded xbmc and been reading and trying it for a couple of months now as I dont like the limits of some of the commercial media servers I have used in the past.

Okay I have some questions.

I have about 1800 DVD that have been placed into a wardrobe and I am sick and tired of having to pull all the dvd in the front out to get to the ones in the back. I used cimmercial media player and had backed all the dvd's up to mkv format but I find there is video loss and audio volume is always very low in the copies so I have to have my receiver on 98 and still struggle to hear every thing that goes on.

I have used many conversion programs including eac3to, AVSVideo Cinverter and others but there is always a problem with either the video or audio. One movie that I have major issues with that comes to mind is independence days. I am finding that a mkv setup as 100% qualit comes up almost 1.5 times larger then the dvd and as I said there is issues with either autio to low or video flaring.

So what I have decided to do is re do my dvd but this time use clonedvd and just do a 1 for 1 copy of the dvd onto the hard drive and just stream it to the tvs and mobile devices in the house (Viera TV, IPADS, PS3 and laptops) I picked 1 dvd (Toy Story 3) and ripped it into a directory and set up xbmc to have the video in its library. When I go to the viera tv and connect to the xbmc server and select the movie it says unsupported format. I deleted and tried to do this as an iso and have the same issue. What am I doing wrong Huh??

Any help would be appreciated as I am getting to old to bend down and pull all the dvds out of the cabimet to watch a movie:Smile

Thanks in advance.

ikhan42
XBMC isn't a server, it's a player meant to be played on a box that is connected directly to your TV. The "server" feature you see does work for some formats, but it's incomplete in XBMC because we only use it for XBMC-to-XBMC sharing.

Most people build sub $200 computers and use them as XBMC boxes. There's a growing market of small powered "ARM" (the kind of processor found in a smartphone) boxes that are even cheaper, in the sub $100 range, like the Apple TV 2 (must be hacked, but works out really well).

So your best bet would be to either make or buy a dedicated XBMC computer/box. Then it will handle all of your DVD ISOs without breaking a sweat, and do so with a great interface.
Ahhh I was under the impression this was a server solution. Okay so I have a question then I have ps3 connected to the tv downstairs was using MEZZMO and also tried ps3 media centre but neither seem to like iso images they seem to want it in MKV format. I thought the apple tv 2 supported only Mp4 or m4a formats, are you saying it supports iso images aswell.

I wanted to try and avoid buying another box for the television as the television alread has a media centre capability built in I just needed a server to feed the ISO to the tv sets.

Thaks for the help

Kind Regards
ikhan42

(2012-06-11, 03:45)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC isn't a server, it's a player meant to be played on a box that is connected directly to your TV. The "server" feature you see does work for some formats, but it's incomplete in XBMC because we only use it for XBMC-to-XBMC sharing.

Most people build sub $200 computers and use them as XBMC boxes. There's a growing market of small powered "ARM" (the kind of processor found in a smartphone) boxes that are even cheaper, in the sub $100 range, like the Apple TV 2 (must be hacked, but works out really well).

So your best bet would be to either make or buy a dedicated XBMC computer/box. Then it will handle all of your DVD ISOs without breaking a sweat, and do so with a great interface.

(2012-06-13, 00:10)ikhan42 Wrote: Ahhh I was under the impression this was a server solution. Okay so I have a question then I have ps3 connected to the tv downstairs was using MEZZMO and also tried ps3 media centre but neither seem to like iso images they seem to want it in MKV format. I thought the apple tv 2 supported only Mp4 or m4a formats, are you saying it supports iso images aswell.

I wanted to try and avoid buying another box for the television as the television alread has a media centre capability built in I just needed a server to feed the ISO to the tv sets.

Thaks for the help

Kind Regards
ikhan42

(2012-06-11, 03:45)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC isn't a server, it's a player meant to be played on a box that is connected directly to your TV. The "server" feature you see does work for some formats, but it's incomplete in XBMC because we only use it for XBMC-to-XBMC sharing.

I've been in the same situation you are in. I've wanted to use the PS3 so it didn't seem like buying it was such a waste of money. I've tried multiple PS3 Media servers but none of them did what I wanted and the UI for the PS3 and the uPNP was clunky to put it mildly. I then tried several small boxed media players and while they were definitely better than the PS3 they still left me wanting more out of my content. Build a computer. Install XBMC on it. Have it read the isos/mks off your file server. You will be glad you bit the bullet and did it that way!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing dvd backups on xbmc0