Win Unable to have 5.1 sound from my home theater when playing Multi-channel AAC
Hi… I am from Kolkata, India ….. me & my friends have just started to use XBMC as media player on our HTPC (connected with Large LED TV). I have connected my HTPC HDMI output to my LG TV and Optical output of my TV goes to my LG home theater (HT924). TV audio function has been set to pass-through all audio signal to Home Theater. As in India most of the Audio Receiver we get is capable to decode DTS / DD signal only. It is not handling multichannel AAC.

As almost one third of our video collections are having Multichannel AAC audio, we can only get down-mixed Stereo channel from our home theater output when playing the media with XBMC. There is no way we could encode Multichannel AAC in to DTS on the fly.

But in Mediaportal we can encode Multichannel AAC in to DTS on the fly with the help of ffdShow, thus having 5.1 sound from our Home theater. But I have explored all options in XBMC but failed to have the same in XBMC.

Now I request you all to guide me how can I encode Multichannel AAC into DTS on the fly in XBMC.

Thanks in advance , Sudip Acharya [email protected]

PS.
HTPC spec. – Intel I3 with Nvidia GT520 with HDMI output video card, motherboard Asus P8H61-M-LE with 4GB RAM, Audio-Realtek® ALC 887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC.
TV – LG 42LM6200 Home Theater – LG – HT924
I have a similar setup as you and have it working.

My settings are:

Audio Output: Optical/Coax (even though the audio leaves the PC via HDMI, it enters the receiver by optical)
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Dolby Digital Capable Receiver: enabled
DTS Capable Receiver: Disabled (even though my receiver supports it)

Usually, a TV will only pass through a stereo signal. Dolby Digital is passed as a stereo signal, but is decoded into 5.1 channels by the receiver. Unfortunately AAC doesn't have this ability and so when it passes through the TV the surround is stripped.

You basically have two options; connect the PC directly to the receiver to enjoy your full AAC, or let XBMC pass the audio as Dolby Digital through the TV and have surround sound but in a lower quality.
(2012-06-11, 14:15)Tomkun Wrote: I have a similar setup as you and have it working.

My settings are:

Audio Output: Optical/Coax (even though the audio leaves the PC via HDMI, it enters the receiver by optical)
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Dolby Digital Capable Receiver: enabled
DTS Capable Receiver: Disabled (even though my receiver supports it)

Usually, a TV will only pass through a stereo signal. Dolby Digital is passed as a stereo signal, but is decoded into 5.1 channels by the receiver. Unfortunately AAC doesn't have this ability and so when it passes through the TV the surround is stripped.

You basically have two options; connect the PC directly to the receiver to enjoy your full AAC, or let XBMC pass the audio as Dolby Digital through the TV and have surround sound but in a lower quality.

Thank you brother for the solution...its finally works..... now I can hear Multi channel AAC audio through my Home Theater and the sweet "Dolby Digital" light is glowing in my receiver. Thankx once again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to have 5.1 sound from my home theater when playing Multi-channel AAC 1